Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wade doesn't play cricket shots he is a see ball hit ball batsman not a technical batsman his technique will not hold up against world class bowlers .

Wade has also failed twice already at test level and is what 31-32? Not really an exciting prospect
The first time he looked OK with thw bat, but nearly lost Lyon his career through missed chances.
The second time he was poor with gloves and bat. Now, he's probably in career best batting form in the Shield.

But, unlike some, I don't give a toss about age. The best available get the spot, not someone with unproven "potential". Its Test cricket. Everyone should be earning their spot. And that what really shits me about Renshaw's inclusion. Yes, he got runs in the county season, but right now he can barely put together a Mitch Marsh score. Put him the tour game if you want, but on form getting near the Test squad is a gift. They may as well have picked Bancroft, at least he's not proven to be in shite form (and, no, I'm not suggesting he should have come in).

Maxwell has been put in the dean Jones locker short form cricket only his file has been sealed and locked away never to be opened up.R.I.P test cricket for Glenn Maxwell.

Very interesting article. Why is this Pucovski guy not in the squad yet?

Interesting graphs. Shaun Marsh has the 2nd highest average but also the 2nd highest false shot percentage. Might be a reason why he gets found out at Test level

If you compare paine and carey .carey is a lot better batsman than paine he actually can play shots .long term Harper.........

Wade has also failed twice already at test level and is what 31-32? Not really an exciting prospect

Didn't do so great last time but batted well the first time in the side. A couple of centuries, a few half centuries from his initial 12 Tests and had an average in the mid 30s at that point. Just his keeping was the real issue. Second stint of 10 matches he batted like s**t. Here he could focus purely on his batting if he was back in the team. We don't have much so we have to pick blokes in form.

Averages 23.8 with his medium pacers. If course the sample size is only 30 overs spread over 10 First Class matches with 5 wickets...lol. Handy relief (not hand...lol) though.

Last edited:
I think the selectors points on Wade are pretty valid and the calls that he's unlucky and it must be some sort of biased are way off the mark. In both the Test and ODI side he's failed to be an international wicket keeper batsman specifically on the batting side, even if we ignore his poor keeping. That's after a pretty lengthy stint in both and it's hard to look past that simply on the back of one and a half good seasons.

What they said about him batting too low is spot on, most former players such as Ian Chappell will tell you that regardless of where you bat in the Test line-up, if you want to bat in the top 6 there you should be batting between 1-4 at Shield level as you should be getting exposure to the highest quality bowling/toughest conditions that you can.

I think Wade has two options, give up the gloves for now and focus on getting in as a batsman over the next couple of years, OR continue with what's he doing and getting a call up when Paine retires. People are saying Carey is the definite next option but he averages even less then Paine at FC level and he's going to be 29-30 once Paine retires so there won't be much between them.
Carey is absolutely adored. They’d pick him in an instant if they could.

Maxwell has been put in the dean Jones locker short form cricket only his file has been sealed and locked away never to be opened up.R.I.P test cricket for Glenn Maxwell.
Yes

Can anyone enlighten what Maxwell did to upset undertaker Hohns, brown nosed gnome Lamger or shifty Mark Waugh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps time the Australian selectors can comment on the non selection of Maxwell for the test squad.

Not the bloke we probably need coming in under pressure that’s probably why.

I want Maxwell in the team as well but I reckon the guy who had it the worst was Martyn... dude was exiled for about 10 years and if there was social media 20 years ago he would have been the rage of cricket forums. Thank goodness for that series against India away I suppose.

Picking Will Pucovski is a great move. I was calling for his inclusion prior to Melbourne.

If he gets a bat, he should come in at #3 and the runs will flow.
He's had two good innings in is whole FC career. And by the time the first test comes around will have had a fair while out of FC cricket (as will everyone, scheduling is hardly a players' fault but can impact their selection). I can understand this one, but he hasn't yet got a record of coming off a break well.

I wouldn't have picked him, but at least he has runs this summer unlike someone like Renshaw, or Mitch Marsh earlier. And his failure rate isn't too bad either.

I want Maxwell in the team as well but I reckon the guy who had it the worst was Martyn... dude was exiled for about 10 years and if there was social media 20 years ago he would have been the rage of cricket forums. Thank goodness for that series against India away I suppose.
Now now Mrs Martin don't go overboard, he was a good cricketer. As for social media dont you think someone wouldn't jump on the fact that little Damo has car city eyes similar to Justin Langar

It is the questions that crossed my mind too. Assuming Renshaw and Harris open together in next two Tests and go very well I cannot see how we can split that up for Ashes. Warner would them be competing for number 3 spot in such circumstances. Which leaves Khawaja, Burns and Labuschange a race to secure a batting spot for Ashes tour batting number 3. Smith looks a certainty to come back and bat 4. Pucovski and Head need to secure a lower order spot at 5 or 6. Labuschange or Maxwell the others competing in this Ashes race. Bancroft and Mitch Marsh face un uphill battle even to get a squad spot and need massive Shield seasons to get back on radar. I personally see Finch, S Marsh and Handscomb not even on radar of Test selection anymore. They blew their chances and know it.
Just like wade and maxwell. They are not test batsmen and will not get picked

It's so easy to see through their Maxwell bullshit. Maxwell needs to focus on the WC? How about the bowlers?

Wade bats too deep? He bats at number 6. We're looking to replace our number 6. **** me Hohns is inept.
Test batsman bat higher than 6 at shield level. Wade neexs to bat at 4 to have any chance

Then he'd be forced to explain the difference between Wade and the Marsh brothers.

Having just read Hohns quotes today, it's obvious that he doesn't have a genuine justification for not picking Wade and he's just making s**t up. When the chairman of selectors is either lying, making s**t up or (and?) is flat out ******* incompetent, how does he still have his job? Especially when the ACA seem to have lost confidence in the selectors.
Other than all rounders who was the last aussie number 6 who batted 6 for his state. Batsmen have always pushed to bat higher at state level if they thought they were a chance

Agree. Hohns has it in for Wade. I called SEN today and stated just that. It’s pathetic that the head of a national sporting team can get away with that level of bias stemming to incompetence. After that press conference the CEO should have him sit down and explain his ridiculous logic given Handscombe is a keeper/batsman and was picked solely as a batsman.

Nevertheless, Wade SHOULD NOT BE OMITTED! Particularly when Head, Labuschagne and Pucovski are less deserving than him.
Wade SHOULD NOT BE PICKED. you are right it feels better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back