Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Pucovski doing brilliantly yet again. Only 7 off 56 deliveries so far but that is exactly what is needed. Wait till there are loose deliveries and punish them. It is swinging alot as well so it is a good for his development against swing. We seriously need to include him in the Ashes (I know it isn't the best place to debut a player but he is that good). What we should do is put him on the CA contract list so that he can go over to England and play in the county season.

Pick him on the A tour, then see how he copes. We have to be careful how we rush him.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Not dismissing it, I just feel when a batsman fails in Tests he should move further down the que regardless of recent Shield form. He was in form before the Tests and he's clearly still in form after the Tests which suggests he's probably just not up to Test level given he constantly throws away starts and doesn't really suit partnering Warner at the top. Happy for him to be a reserve instead of Burns but I'd still back Bancroft over him in England as first choice.

Fails in tests?? He averages more than Bancroft does in tests. Both have 0 tons, Bancroft has score 1 more 50 from 2 more innings.

Neither are exactly setting the world on fire in Tests, but as the incumbent, whos done little wrong this season either before his test career commenced, nor after, plus had a more than solid start to his test career, I'm not sure why we are throwing him to the scrap heap.

But I guess there is plenty of matches to go, with an A tour, and possible county stints for batsman to come, I'm sure we'll see how the team shapes up.

I'll be honest, I'm still not convinced putting Warner in without any decent warm up is even the right way to go. But again, we wait and see.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Fails in tests?? He averages more than Bancroft does in tests. Both have 0 tons, Bancroft has score 1 more 50 from 2 more innings.

Neither are exactly setting the world on fire in Tests, but as the incumbent, whos done little wrong this season either before his test career commenced, nor after, plus had a more than solid start to his test career, I'm not sure why we are throwing him to the scrap heap.

But I guess there is plenty of matches to go, with an A tour, and possible county stints for batsman to come, I'm sure we'll see how the team shapes up.

I'll be honest, I'm still not convinced putting Warner in without any decent warm up is even the right way to go. But again, we wait and see.
I guess the only thing is their trajectories went in the opposite direction. Bancroft could be seen to be improving on a slow start, Harris started well and was on a downward slide against SL.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I guess the only thing is their trajectories went in the opposite direction. Bancroft could be seen to be improving on a slow start, Harris started well and was on a downward slide against SL.

Interesting theory. Based on that theory, Steve smith shouldn't get back, in his last series saw him score less each match....so it seems he's on a downward slide.

I'm not against Bancroft returning, just not at the expense of Harris. Harris has shown enough for mine to stay.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting theory. Based on that theory, Steve smith shouldn't get back, in his last series saw him score less each match....so it seems he's on a downward slide.

I'm not against Bancroft returning, just not at the expense of Harris. Harris has shown enough for mine to stay.
Not really the same as Smith has massive credits in the bank. Bancroft and Harris are at the start of their careers. They have both done about the same, some good scores and some bad scores. Gonna be a lot of competition on the A tour.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

Ridiculous argument. Harris was decent against India but then threw away that good will away with a poor Sri Lankan series. Looks a solid player but a big history of throwing away starts and I'd prefer more of a grinder to partner Warner for this series.

We're headed to England and our most successful opener over there across our last two series was Chris Rogers, we need someone like that at the top of the order, not a guy like Harris who was getting out in the slips against mediocre Sri Lankan bowlers.

I'm not putting a line through Harris forever, he's been great in the Shield and that's not to be ignored but what I saw at Test level suggests he's not the right player to be opening over there right now. Bancroft and Renshaw are most suited, Renshaw is obviously in career worst form however and should be behind both Harris and Burns, that leaves Bancroft who was looking good in his last Test stint, has the form and also has county experience (not to mention will also be heading over there before the Ashes).

After the Ashes it'll be open game again if Bancroft doesn't grab the chance so we might see Harris again then.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ridiculous argument. Harris was decent against India but then threw away that good will away with a poor Sri Lankan series. Looks a solid player but a big history of throwing away starts and I'd prefer more of a grinder to partner Warner for this series.

We're headed to England and our most successful opener over there across our last two series was Chris Rogers, we need someone like that at the top of the order, not a guy like Harris who was getting out in the slips against mediocre Sri Lankan bowlers.

I'm not putting a line through Harris forever, he's been great in the Shield and that's not to be ignored but what I saw at Test level suggests he's not the right player to be opening over there right now. Bancroft and Renshaw are most suited, Renshaw is obviously in career worst form however and should be behind both Harris and Burns, that leaves Bancroft who was looking good in his last Test stint, has the form and also has county experience (not to mention will also be heading over there before the Ashes).

After the Ashes it'll be open game again if Bancroft doesn't grab the chance so we might see Harris again then.
Completly agree. We can have 2 aggressive openers in the team with Warner and Harris. Yes we could be 0-150 at end of a session but more likely we would be 2-10 after 4 overs.

Ideal scenario would be a grafter and agressive opener. Still not 100% sure if Warner should be in the team after playing no competitive cricket for so long. Will need to show form at the World Cup and against the A team. If he is playing then ideally it would be Renshaw and Bancroft as you said and leaning towards Bancroft.

My ideal team:
Bancroft
Warner
Patterson (would love this but definitly too soon)
Smith
Head
Pucovski (would love to play him but doubt they will debut him in an Ashes)
Paine
Cummins
Starc/Richardson (depending on pitch)
Lyon
Hazlewood

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I agree with the idea that Bancroft is a more likely long term successful test opener than Harris, but right now I don't think there is sufficient evidence to make the swap. Especially since Harris has done superbly in the Shield since the tests ended.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Harris will get first crack; I wouldn't mind Bancroft at 6 either, but you would imagine Khawaja, Head and Patterson will all get first crack in their respective positions, so unfortunately, he probably won't get a gig unless someone is stinking it up (at which point we may already be in trouble).

I know he had a solid summer in Australia, but I'm going to stand by my prediction that Travis Head will be all at sea in England and won't average more than 25 for the series.
I think this is a distinct possibility. Also for Patterson and Harris.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gotta love the current batsmen though, as frustrating as anything.

One week, they are all peeling off tons for fun (and some big ones as well). Next week, there are not even many 50s to go around.

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Pattinson with 4 for 12 in the last innings so far.

Hopefully he can stay fit and get picked for the A tour.

when fit, he's in the top 3 quick bowlers in the country, just keeps getting let down by his body. Fit and firing, he's in the Ashes starting 11, just bloody annoying he can't seem to stay fit long enough to really push his case.

I haven't thought about this for like a day so:

Burns
Harris
Khawaja (ugh)
Smith
Patterson
Wade
Paine (c, +)
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Warner, Bancroft, Head, Starc, Holland, Pattinson/Tremain/Bird/Sayers

I'd be happy to see Warner/Bancroft in, Patterson 3, Burns 5, Khawaja out, but I think Khawaja gets first go.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
I agree with the idea that Bancroft is a more likely long term successful test opener than Harris, but right now I don't think there is sufficient evidence to make the swap. Especially since Harris has done superbly in the Shield since the tests ended.

I don't understand that. He was superb before the Tests and has been superb after like you said, that suggests he was in form the whole time and his performance against Sri Lanka is him at the peak of his powers. I'm not sold on that and don't think his style is going to be suitable in England, opening with Warner.

Personally thing if he starts it shows we've learned nothing about going about selection overseas and it'll just be similar to Siddle where we refused to make changes to how we select bowlers until the fifth Test and by then it was too late (and he was the best of our bowlers in that match).

Off the topic of Harris, Wade is currently on 92 and his FC average is almost 40. Has to go over as a reserve of some sort.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
when fit, he's in the top 3 quick bowlers in the country, just keeps getting let down by his body. Fit and firing, he's in the Ashes starting 11, just bloody annoying he can't seem to stay fit long enough to really push his case.

Curious to know why Head finds himself out of the side and replaced with Wade, yet Harris is still in he side.

Like I said above, Wade has to be considered as a reserve and while I'm not necessarily sold on Head long term he's been our best batsman over the 6 Tests and was at least solid even against the good bowling.

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Wade banging runs again. Surely they are going to have to give in sooner rather than later.

Wade surely at this stage is in front of Pattinson,Labertouche and Head and will be selected in the A side which will perhaps decide the final 15 for the ashes.

Last edited:
Wade surely at this stage is in front of Pattinson,Labertouche and Head and will be selected in the A side which will perhaps decide the final 15 for the ashes.
I'd be surprised if they didn't have 17. 2 extra quicks, an extra spinner, an extra opener, extra middle order bat and extra keeper, which may be Wade. Also it's Patterson and Labuschagne.

Why would Wade be ahead of Head, our best performed bat of the summer, and Patterson, who scored big against SL? International runs still count more than Shield runs.
But at the same time, Head hasn't scored many runs since returning to the Shield, and if you look at the precedent set by Renshaw and a couple of others, the selectors look at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back