Test Rolling Joint First XI from the Ashes.

Remove this Banner Ad

With the 2nd Test nearing an end, maybe it is time to look at a rolling joint XI. Here is my crack.

Warner - the FTB has rode good fortune
"The Marnus" - in great form and can open
Malan - has been more than handy
Root - made a solid contribution with bat and ball.
Head - two very good knocks
Green - bowling has been better than Stokes and batting is coming together
Carey - clearly ahead of the lamentable Buttler
Starc - bowling with more IQ
Cummins - terrific in Brisbane
Robinson - battled away, can bowl off spin
Lyon - England conceded the spinner's spot.

With the 2nd Test nearing an end, maybe it is time to look at a rolling joint XI. Here is my crack.

Warner - the FTB has rode good fortune
"The Marnus" - in great form and can open
Malan - has been more than handy
Root - made a solid contribution with bat and ball.
Head - two very good knocks
Green - bowling has been better than Stokes and batting is coming together
Carey - clearly ahead of the lamentable Buttler
Starc - bowling with more IQ
Cummins - terrific in Brisbane
Robinson - battled away, can bowl off spin
Lyon - England conceded the spinner's spot.
Joint rolling XI would have to include Herschelle Gibbs and Stephen Fleming wouldn't it?

Half the West Indies rebels.
Richard Austin for one
Viv Richards admitted to drinking "herbal" tea during his career as a relaxant after play. I think it was in the Fire In Babylon book that he said he wanted to grow dreads but the West Indian Cricket Board at the time wouldn't let him, which coupled with his Rasta sweatband would lead you to think he had at least a passing knowledge of the sacrament.

Viv Richards admitted to drinking "herbal" tea during his career as a relaxant after play. I think it was in the Fire In Babylon book that he said he wanted to grow dreads but the West Indian Cricket Board at the time wouldn't let him, which coupled with his Rasta sweatband would lead you to think he had at least a passing knowledge of the sacrament.

I dare say quite a few of their more….. charismatic players have channeled their inner Willie Nelson. You can’t convince me that the Universe Boss hasn’t choofed from the Gatorade Sax during some of his more relaxed moments at home

After 3rd test;

1. Warner 240 @ 60
2. Marnus 229 @ 57
3. Malan 202 @ 33 & 2 @ 16
4. Root 253 @ 42
5. Head 248 @ 62
6. Green 52 @ 17 & 7 @ 11
7. Carey 51 @ 19 w 14 catches / Buttler 96 @ 19 w 9 catches
8. Starc 14 @ 19 & 117 @ 58
9. Cummins 10 @ 14 & 33 @ 16
10. Lyon 12 @ 21 & 25 @ 12
11. Anderson 7 @ 14 / Boland 7 @ 8

Malan sneaking in ahead of Smith (127 @ 32). Anderson sneaking in ahead of Boland due to bowling against better opposition. Carey/Buttler a coin flip as neither been good, both missed some easy chances behind the stumps and batted poorly.

Really does highlight how Root has been the only English player to deserve a pass mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back