Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as the World Cup is happening before the Ashes and no-one really seems to know what our best ODI team looks like, it's time for this thread to match the Ashes one.

Now, it's very much the selectors' fault that we have no idea what the best ODI line-up looks like, because they never pick one. They're too busy experimenting, which they'll have to stop doing after the WC regardless of the result because every ODI will have implications for the ODI championship. In any case, we now have a whole array of players to pick from according to recent selections, and it'll take a bit of work to sort through them.

Opening batsmen: Finch, Warner, Carey+, Khawaja, Short, S Marsh, Lynn
Middle order batsmen: Smith, Khawaja, S Marsh, Handscomb, Lynn, Head, Carey+, Wade+
All-rounders: Stoinis, M Marsh, Maxwell, Turner
Fast bowlers: Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, J Richardson, Behrendorff, Siddle, Stanlake, Coulter-Nile, K Richardson
Spin bowlers: Zampa, Lyon, Agar

There are two big questions marks: the correct order of the batting, and the make-up of the bowling attack. In all honesty, unless Warner is made persona non grata or Finch completely loses form there is little reason not to have Finch/Warner as the opening combination. Carey can fill the position if need be, as can S Marsh (who has opened for Aus for much of his career) and Khawaja. Short and Lynn are odds off on being there, the former because his OD record is poor, the latter because there's no obvious place for him, and he also has a question mark over his fielding. Fielding may also cost Khawaja a place, given there are only 15 slots available.

Can Australia afford to have multiple accumulators in the middle order? Perhaps if their bowling attack is strong enough. Though England, and to a lesser extent India, have been bullying bowling attacks and getting ridiculous totals (remember Trent Bridge?), they are still not the norm, and it wasn't they who won the Champions Trophy in England in 2017 - it was Pakistan, who had a killer bowling attack and a solid though not spectacular batting line-up. Australia could well be forced to do likewise, rather than having a strong top-order like India or a bludgeoning XI down to the very bottom like England.

In light of that, the middle order question, including how many A/Rs play, becomes quite complex. Smith may be injured for too long, but if he recovers in time, does he come straight in? S Marsh is a natural fit at 3...but so is Khawaja. And Head. Handscomb is one in much the same way Root is. Stoinis and Mitch Marsh are both power hitters who take time to get going, with similar records. Maxwell and Lynn are the only ones who are natural bludgeoners, although Turner falls somewhere in between (but hasn't played yet).

The fast bowling conundrum isn't much easier. Starc is an absolute sure thing, and Hazlewood probably needs to go as well given his record. Cummins? Ordinary record, and probably shouldn't be a guaranteed selection, especially given how few spots there are. Jhye is great, but still inexperienced and got carted around last year. Behrendorff would probably lick his lips at English conditions, but has played one ODI in his career and his injury prone. So too is NCN, even though his record should surely take him to England. Siddle and Stanlake really don't deserve to be in the running, but the selectors seem to like them, while Kane Richardson is still hovering around and did fine in England.

Our spin cupboard looks pretty bare. Lyon hasn't had much of a run at it ever, but doesn't look that effective. Agar is in a similar boat (though can bat), and Zampa is totally ineffective yet seems to be the spinner by default.

I'm not even going to try to select a final squad at this stage, but I think those that can be ruled out are Short, Wade, Turner, Siddle and Kane Richardson. That still leaves 22 to go into 15.

Last edited:

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've got 18 that I would consider at this stage.

Batsmen: Finch, Warner, SMarsh, Smith, Lynn, Handscomb, Short
All rounders: Stoinis, Maxwell
Keeper: Carey
Bowlers: Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Behrendorff, Richardson, Coulter-Nile, Zampa, Lyon

I think 1 of only Lynn or Short will go. If the middle order needs adjusting in terms of there being too many accumulators, perhaps Lynn would go as a reserve.

We have a bit of a tail as well with the bowlers. Spinners arent jumping out for selection either. Lyon doesn't have much variation, so maybe only 1 goes. Maybe Short goes if they go with 1 spinner.

Very tough to choose at this stage. Will have to see how the team performs over the next couple of months.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Finch
Carey
Warner
Smith
Handscomb
Maxwell
MMarsh
Starc
Richardson
Zampa
2nd spinner

Stoinis, Behrendorff, S Marsh

I wouldn’t pick Lyon or Agar, but no idea who that would leave? Australia’s problem is they have ignored spinners for so long, they won a World Cup with Xavier Doherty as the sole spinner and he only played 1 game. But that’s not the modern game, however instead of trying out options or giving Zampa a fair run, they keep dropping him and playing no spinner.

If Smith plays then one of Khawaja or SMarsh misses and I’d take Marsh over Khawaja. If Smith is injured then Khawaja may survive but I’d move Handscomb up and play Stoinis.

However the selectors will go with
Warner, Finch, Khawaja, Smith, Marsh, Marsh, Maxwell, Stoinis, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyon, Agar, Richardson/Behrendorff/NCN, Carey

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Finch
Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
M.Marsh or Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Zampa

Expect this to be our number 1 line-up. I can't see how they pick both Marsh and Stoinis, although neither really deserve to be dropped from the ODI side. Mitch Marsh has the record but Stoinis has the spot right now with Marsh sick. So that's 12.

Handscomb is good against spin and had some decent LO form recently and covers as a middle order batsmen or keeper if Carey is injured. Khawaja would go as an early batsmen (opener or 3), needed as stability especially with Marsh aging. 14. Khawaja wouldn't be as worrying with his slow speed with Warner/Finch and Maxwell/Marsh soon after him - all capable of going hard.

Behrendorff and Richardson have put their names up as being genuine selection headaches after 1 match. To knock out the top 3 though from the selectors side they'd need to back it up over the next few months (fair enough too). Either way, at this stage, I'm hopeful they keep it up. 16.

And one spinner as back-up or able to play as a 2nd spinner. Either Agar or Lyon. I'd personally lean towards Lyon. 17.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
One way you could look at it is that the squad for the current odi series is a 15 man squad. The world cup squad is also 15.

Who comes in and who goes out?

Current: finch, carey, khawaja, s.marsh, handscomb, stoinis, maxwell, j.richardson, siddle, lyon, behrendorf, turner, m.marsh, zampa, stanlake.

Surely smith, warner, starc, hazlewood, cummins are all in the best 15 if fit and available. They were all a part of the 2015 world cup squad.
It's really a matter of who they replace.

This will surely make it tough for the likes of: short, lynn, head, wade, agar, coulter-nile, k.richardson who are not in the current squad.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Finch
Warner
S.Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
M.Marsh or Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Zampa

Expect this to be our number 1 line-up. I can't see how they pick both Marsh and Stoinis, although neither really deserve to be dropped from the ODI side. Mitch Marsh has the record but Stoinis has the spot right now with Marsh sick. So that's 12.

Handscomb is good against spin and had some decent LO form recently and covers as a middle order batsmen or keeper if Carey is injured. Khawaja would go as an early batsmen (opener or 3), needed as stability especially with Marsh aging. 14. Khawaja wouldn't be as worrying with his slow speed with Warner/Finch and Maxwell/Marsh soon after him - all capable of going hard.

Behrendorff and Richardson have put their names up as being genuine selection headaches after 1 match. To knock out the top 3 though from the selectors side they'd need to back it up over the next few months (fair enough too). Either way, at this stage, I'm hopeful they keep it up. 16.

And one spinner as back-up or able to play as a 2nd spinner. Either Agar or Lyon. I'd personally lean towards Lyon. 17.

Yeah, agree.

Basically said what I'm saying.

So you brought in the big 5: smith, warner, starc, hazlewood and cummins and at this stage just dropped 3 , being siddle, stanlake and turner, with no one else outside the squad in the running.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Squad

Finch
Khawaja
Smith
S Marsh
Handscomb
Maxwell
Short
Maxwell
Stoinis
Agar
J Richardson
Behrendorff
Coulter - Nile
Starc
Wade
Warner

Preferred side

S Marsh
Finch
Short
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Wade
Agar
Coulter - Nile
J Richardson
Behrendorff

Maybe swap Carey for wade or drop finch and have Carey keep and wade can field

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Our llne-up so far from settled it is amazing.
We need a new captain as Finch is just not even reliable to stay in side. I would not even have him in squad.
Got no idea whom should be captain. Khwaja has to go. His fielding is too s**t and will cost. Lynn shoulder too ****ed or he would be in. Warner is too soon for me. Rather go with Darcy Short teamed up to open with Carey or Shaun Marsh. The captaincy probably has to goto Maxwell or Lyon, as crazy as it may seem.
Mitch Marsh out of favour right now but his big hitting in England I just think is crucial. Side will probably be nothing like this and may change my own mind in coming months but right now, today it is the team I can put together. Whatever we go with, we are coming from a long way back to expect to win a Wold Cup this time. Our worst lead in ever.

Darcy Short
Carey
S Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
M Marsh
Stoinis
Cummins
Starc
Richardson
Lyon

Rest of squad probably
Coulter-Nile
Agar
Handscomb
Wade

I expect the real side to have Finch, Warner. Khwaja, Siddle and Zampa in it and we will not even make quarter finals.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I expect the real side to have Finch, Warner. Khwaja, Siddle and Zampa in it and we will not even make quarter finals.

there aren't any quarters at this world cup, and rightly so if there are only 10 nations competing.

if we get our crap together we could make semi's (need 5-4, probably 6-3 to make it).

Smith's injury puts a bit of a spanner in the works. He probably won't be recovered by the time squads have to be named - will they take the risk that he'll be right to go? Elbow are pretty hard to get right.

Opens the door for Handscomb if he can keep up the performances like Saturday's. Still think there's one too many accumulators in the side though with Khawaja, SMarsh and Handsomb. With Smith( if he's fit, they're probably only playing for two spots.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Smith's injury puts a bit of a spanner in the works. He probably won't be recovered by the time squads have to be named - will they take the risk that he'll be right to go? Elbow are pretty hard to get right.

Opens the door for Handscomb if he can keep up the performances like Saturday's. Still think there's one too many accumulators in the side though with Khawaja, SMarsh and Handsomb. With Smith( if he's fit, they're probably only playing for two spots.
This is where you’ve got to look at a Darcy short. Marsh & Handscomb look good but just would like them to get on with it a bit quicker. As a left field call what about Max Bryant?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

I’d take Handscomb easily over Khawaja, he doesn’t waste time and actually scores at a decent rate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Warner
Finch
S. Marsh
Head
Handscomb
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazlewood

M. Marsh
Richardson
Short
Coulter-Nile/Lyon. I think we should take a second spinner but I have a feeling CA won't see it that way. Khawaja unlucky but if his form holds up he'll find a way there.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Warner
Finch
S. Marsh
Head
Handscomb
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Zampa
Hazlewood

M. Marsh
Richardson
Short
Coulter-Nile/Lyon. I think we should take a second spinner but I have a feeling CA won't see it that way. Khawaja unlucky but if his form holds up he'll find a way there.

ya cheating mate - you have hazlewood batting @12 :)

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Going to be very interesting when Warner and Smith (if fit) come back.

I like the idea of Handscomb through the middle but I'm not sure he'd fit in if Smith were to come back into the side? Stoinis has to play because we need that 5th bowling option.

Really not sold on Carey opening or batting in the middle order at this stage. I think he needs to bat 7, only because there are better batsmen coming in late in the innings.

Warner
Finch
S Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Richardson

Handscomb
Khawaja
M Marsh
Lyon
Hazelwood

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
Going to be very interesting when Warner and Smith (if fit) come back.

I like the idea of Handscomb through the middle but I'm not sure he'd fit in if Smith were to come back into the side? Stoinis has to play because we need that 5th bowling option.

Really not sold on Carey opening or batting in the middle order at this stage. I think he needs to bat 7, only because there are better batsmen coming in late in the innings.

Warner
Finch
S Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Richardson

Handscomb
Khawaja
M Marsh
Lyon
Hazelwood
Team balance is a whole lot better if the keeper can also open the batting. I think Carey can, but in your opinion he cant- there is a couple out there who could, albeit not as good glovemen: Wade, Bancroft, heck even young Phillippe could. Paine can as well.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Team balance is a whole lot better if the keeper can also open the batting. I think Carey can, but in your opinion he cant- there is a couple out there who could, albeit not as good glovemen: Wade, Bancroft, heck even young Phillippe could. Paine can as well.

I think Carey is a good bat, but IMO there are better options to open the batting and having him there instead of 7 moves everyone down the order and I'd prefer guys like Stoinis and Maxwell getting the opportunity to face as many balls as possible towards the end.

I'm sure all of those guys can open the batting at state level, but not at international level. Both Wade and Paine have been tried there and average in the 20's.

Then you have Khawaja who averages 40 opening and Marsh who averages 43 batting at 3.

If you are looking at team balance, it makes a lot more sense to move those two up and bat Carey at 7

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
I think Carey is a good bat, but IMO there are better options to open the batting and having him there instead of 7 moves everyone down the order and I'd prefer guys like Stoinis and Maxwell getting the opportunity to face as many balls as possible towards the end.

I'm sure all of those guys can open the batting at state level, but not at international level. Both Wade and Paine have been tried there and average in the 20's.

Then you have Khawaja who averages 40 opening and Marsh who averages 43 batting at 3.

If you are looking at team balance, it makes a lot more sense to move those two up and bat Carey at 7
Don't get me wrong, I think Khawaja and Marsh have been excellent one day batsmen. Their role is to occupy the middle overs and keep the run rate ticking over. They do a brilliant job of that. I want Carey to open as it allows him to go hard in the first ten overs with the field up. Something Khawaja is probably not naturally suited to. It also allows us to (likely) have Stoinis and Maxwell there with a reasonable amount of overs to work with at the end of the innings and display their natural power by clearing the boundary. I think 1 & 2 go hard in the powerplay, without being stupid, 3-5 occupy middle overs and then 6 down go hard at the end. With Carey opening I think that suits everyone's natural game to a tee.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't get me wrong, I think Khawaja and Marsh have been excellent one day batsmen. Their role is to occupy the middle overs and keep the run rate ticking over. They do a brilliant job of that. I want Carey to open as it allows him to go hard in the first ten overs with the field up. Something Khawaja is probably not naturally suited to. It also allows us to (likely) have Stoinis and Maxwell there with a reasonable amount of overs to work with at the end of the innings and display their natural power by clearing the boundary. I think 1 & 2 go hard in the powerplay, without being stupid, 3-5 occupy middle overs and then 6 down go hard at the end. With Carey opening I think that suits everyone's natural game to a tee.
I disagree on Khawaja. I think those first 10 overs suit him. He's always been capable of playing his shots and hitting boundaries, but struggles pushing for ones and twos which is why I think he's got a very good record opening the batting in ODI's (40.44 ave 86.67 SR)

And Marsh's stats at 3 are better than anywhere else, then you also have Handscomb who can occupy the middle overs.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
England went experimental after the last world cup and has resulted in them being arguably the best ODI side in the world now. Australia should do the same, though it is likely too late now. They tried it but didn't stick with it. That said, I wouldn't select Smith for the WC based on his injury and lack of game time, so my side:

1. Warner
2. Short
3. S.Marsh
4. Lynn
5. Handscomb (wk)
6. Maxwell (c)
7. Stoinis
8. Starc
9. Richardson
10. Hazlewood/Coulter-Nile
11. Zampa

12. Coulter-Nile/Hazlewood
13. Lyon
14. Khawaja
15. M.Marsh

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
1. Warner
2. Finch
3. Smith
4. S.Marsh
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey (+)
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Zampa
11. Richardson
-
12. Hazlewood
13. Coulter - Nile
14. M.Marsh
15. Short /Lynn
16. Lyon

Will be a hitters world cup. 400 will be crossed many times throughout imo. Guys like Khawaja and Handscomb are not the answer.

Mitch Marsh could easily replace Stoinis.

Lyon leaves me a bit cold in one day cricket. Zampa is the next best i guess.

Really need Finch to come good. Otherwise replace with Short and bring in a reserve at 6.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back