Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where the problem lies, is of the players who are least performing in the top 7 you’ve got Khawaja the obvious first out the door, then Carey would be next to fit in Warner and Smith.

The problem could be moot if Smith isn’t fit but if he is, it’s harsh to drop Handscomb and keep Carey whilst Finch, Stoinis, Maxwell and S Marsh are locks

I think depending on the Indian series you might see a few players dropped. With Warner and Smith walking straight back into the team, then at least one batter, probably two, will go.

Where the problem lies, is of the players who are least performing in the top 7 you’ve got Khawaja the obvious first out the door, then Carey would be next to fit in Warner and Smith.

The problem could be moot if Smith isn’t fit but if he is, it’s harsh to drop Handscomb and keep Carey whilst Finch, Stoinis, Maxwell and S Marsh are locks
Whilst they were pretty impressive the recent one day innings from Handscomb it was only a couple of them, he's not a lock in the side yet for mine.

Not sure what the urgency is with Carey. He's 27, so while he's too old to go back to footy he's still young for a cricketer.

Handscomb has a better List A record, as does Bancroft. Wade has the most experience and is in career best form. We could easily take Wade to the WC and then get games into Carey afterwards.

No urgency, but he is the best keeper.

So people are hoping he is selected on the basis that the selectors don't be complete morons and they play him down the order (i.e. 7).

If it then comes down to whether or not he is any good with the bat, and his batting matters, clearly we've sucked in the match anyway. Ideally he just needs to pinch hit - if his contribution needs to exceed 20, we're already losing, and I'm not backing Wade or Handscomb to save us either.

Handscomb and Wade are batsmen, they can fight it out for the opener position with Finch, or a number 5 for example. They are not good enough keepers in 50 over cricket.

However, if the plan is to play the keeper as an opener (because how else do the selectors get a hard on it seems), then yeah, I'd consider a batting keeper instead.

Doesn't make much sense to me though to be honest.

1. Warner
2. Finch/Short (Finch incumbent, but the gap has closed enough that Short should be given a shot)
3. S.Marsh
4. Smith (Handscomb, Wade battling for this spot if Smith does not get up)
5. Stoinis
6. Maxwell
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazelwood

With Jhye Richardson very close to knocking out the worst form of the 3 fast bowlers (or an injured one). Couter-Nile to go as well. Gives us a couple of pace back-ups, 3 batting back-ups (and a break glass in case of emergency keeper). Don't see the need to fly a 2nd spinner now to be honest - Lyon didn't quite live up to my expectations, I'd rather go with a 4th fast bowler over Lyon if Zampa is injured.

I wonder whether there is room for someone like Christian or cutting to play a number 8 bowling all rounder role in this squad. Given that we are struggling with finishers in the sqaud besides Maxwell.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder whether there is room for someone like Christian or cutting to play a number 8 bowling all rounder role in this squad. Given that we are struggling with finishers in the sqaud besides Maxwell.

Possibly if we want to use Maxwell as the main spinner? Think Christian is a bit more classy than a genuine slogger in Cutting, Christian seems to have a bit of MS Dhoni in him in that he never gets too flustered despite the run rate sometimes going into double figures. In saying that there's a fair gap between T20 tournaments around the world and a crucial World Cup match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly if we want to use Maxwell as the main spinner? Think Christian is a bit more classy than a genuine slogger in Cutting, Christian seems to have a bit of MS Dhoni in him in that he never gets too flustered despite the run rate sometimes going into double figures. In saying that there's a fair gap between T20 tournaments around the world and a crucial World Cup match.

Yeah true but he has played odi for Australia and he got a trick in one of them. Also given he will be batting at 8 , it won’t make much difference (odi v t20) since he will still only be in the team to face out the final overs.

To be honest, that's not far off my T20 National side.

1. Warner
2. Wade
3. Lynn
4. Smith
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Stoinis
7. Cutting
8. Coulter-Nile
9. Starc
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

Maybe too much bowling, but I like that block of all rounders who can really accelerate.

Warner
Short
Marsh
Smith
Stoinis
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa / Richardson
Hazelwood

I think finch is a much better player in the middle order, and is a lot more composed when not opening. He has played in the IPL , as a no 5 as well as Last year t20 tri tournament in NZ where we went undefeated. I think the Australian selectors are too scared of demoting him up the order though.

Clearly the form Aaron Finch is in is worrying. Obviously needs some scores in the upcoming series. Assuming he doesn't, is he worth the risk for the WC? Obviously baggage attached with the captaincy and who would take over that role. He's been out of form for a long time now in all formats. Is it worth replacing him midway through this series if he doesn't get the score?

Is Maxwell a possible replacement? Seemed to do a good job for the Stars in the BBL. You know what you're going to get with Maxwell - one match he'll play majestically and is then a chance to throw his wicket away. However he seems to be tactically sound from what I've seen in the Big Bash. Maybe he will thrive with the added responsibility - who knows?

Clearly the form Aaron Finch is in is worrying. Obviously needs some scores in the upcoming series. Assuming he doesn't, is he worth the risk for the WC? Obviously baggage attached with the captaincy and who would take over that role. He's been out of form for a long time now in all formats. Is it worth replacing him midway through this series if he doesn't get the score?

Is Maxwell a possible replacement? Seemed to do a good job for the Stars in the BBL. You know what you're going to get with Maxwell - one match he'll play majestically and is then a chance to throw his wicket away. However he seems to be tactically sound from what I've seen in the Big Bash. Maybe he will thrive with the added responsibility - who knows?

Certainly isn’t the worst idea I’ve heard. Problem is whether the selectors would be willing to give that kind of responsibility to someone they’ve shafted repeatedly and is an outspoken character.

would there be any chance of O'Keefe replacing Lyon to be the back up spinner in the squad

“Picking a part-time keeper is what England used to do to cover for underachieving batsmen or bowlers,” Healy said in an interview with Wide World of Sports.

“I can’t believe this is where we have got to. It shows lack of trust in the rest of the team, we don’t trust the batsman to make enough runs or the bowlers to keep the opposition’s score in check ... they obviously aren’t totally confident with Carey yet. But the impact of a stunning dismissal or, conversely, a missed dismissal in T20 can be huge.”

Carey, 27, is a regular performer with both the bat and gloves for the Adelaide Strikers, averaging just under 30 and netting 36 catches and eight stumpings in his 44 T20 matches.

“Carey’s batting is certainly good enough, but who cares if the keeper bats as low as number nine and rarely gets a hit?” Healy implored. “You need to have your best keeper in the side because he can have a huge impact by taking a half-chance ... Handscomb should not be burdened with the gloves as he attempts to cement his batting position.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...s/news-story/cf58d0699fcd3ed56c183e93cd0eff75

Remove this Banner Ad

Back