Rolling World Cup squad thread

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We did try it in the lead-up when we toured England with Paine captain and he was terrible 36 runs @ 7.20 on the way to a 5-0 drubbing.
Was an odd decision, Paine has always been a limited overs opener for his whole career. Batting him at seven is essentially forfeiting any game where you end up needing a lower order power hitter to win the game which is often enough to make it a bad decision.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was an odd decision, Paine has always been a limited overs opener for his whole career. Batting him at seven is essentially forfeiting any game where you end up needing a lower order power hitter to win the game which is often enough to make it a bad decision.

Opportunity cost. Paine opening meant & means less opportunity for Finch, Short, Stoinis & Marsh (& Warner when he returns). All guys who have better credentials than Paine to be batting in the top order.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
plenty to still sort out - captaincy, wicketkeeper, batting order, best XI etc.

still a few odi's and some warmup games.

there's 16 in india at the moment and will be interesting to see if there are any changes for the upcoming Pakistan series.

is it a case of the world cup 15 comes from the current touring party of 16, plus a few others ?

A.Finch
D.Short
U.Khawaja
S.Marsh
P.Handscomb
A.Turner
M.Stoinis
G.Maxwell
A.Carey
P.Cummins
N.Coulter-Nile
K.Richardson
J.Richardson
J.Behrendorf
A.Zampa
N.Lyon

Surely these guys are all there if fit (all were part of the 2015 team):
S.Smith
D.Warner
M.Starc
J.Hazlewood

Are there any other real candidates in the mix ?

M.Marsh
A.Agar
M.Wade
T.Paine

Surely Lynn, Head, Neser, Stanlake, Siddle, Tye have had their chances.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure I'd be taking Lyon. Tampa plus Maxwell and possibly Head is enough spin in England. Lyon has been underwhelming in ODI cricket anyway.

I agree about Lyon - it's a wasted spot in the touring party. I'd rather Agar even if he's on the bench most of the tournament.
Don't know how we got away in 2015 with only Doherty and furthermore only playing 1 game.

We'd give anything for a Warne or a reliable Hogg again.

Not sure Head will be able to find his way into the final 15, especially if Smith & Warner make their return.

I agree about Lyon - it's a wasted spot in the touring party. I'd rather Agar even if he's on the bench most of the tournament.
Don't know how we got away in 2015 with only Doherty and furthermore only playing 1 game.

We'd give anything for a Warne or a reliable Hogg again.

Not sure Head will be able to find his way into the final 15, especially if Smith & Warner make their return.

It’s why we need to give a leggie a go after the WC that isn’t Zampa we need some depth.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
After watching Stoinis last night play for his average ....I reckon M marsh is still in the mix....at least M marsh plays for the team and has a go......not like dot ball stoinis he puts pressure on the bloke up the other end

After watching Stoinis last night play for his average ....I reckon M marsh is still in the mix....at least M marsh plays for the team and has a go......not like dot ball stoinis he puts pressure on the bloke up the other end

Depends how many AR’s they pick and Marsh is struggling with form.

Pick M marsh for the Pakistan tour.......bat off bowl off between him and stoinis

Seriously there is something not quite right about Stoinis......an over inflated ego which is putting pressure on the bloke up the other end

So long as we get an assurance that this is ONLY for ODI cricket.

I’m not a fan of figjam Stoinis and last night was just another egocentric innings by him

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
So long as we get an assurance that this is ONLY for ODI cricket.

I’m not a fan of figjam Stoinis and last night was just another egocentric innings by him

Yeah Mitch Marsh is nowhere near the test team.....he would be the first to admit that..he needs at least 2 years of solid shield cricket to get back into the frame of test match cricket

His ODI form though is not that bad

I still rate his bowling more than stoinis.....and at least with his batting he has a go and plays for the team ..stoinis atm does not rotate the strike puts pressure on the guys up the other end....and thinks with his over inflated ego that he can smash 20 off an over at the end of the game......its just stupid and Langer should be giving him a rocket

Yeah Mitch Marsh is nowhere near the test team.....he would be the first to admit that..he needs at least 2 years of solid shield cricket to get back into the frame of test match cricket

His ODI form though is not that bad

I still rate his bowling more than stoinis.....and at least with his batting he has a go and plays for the team ..stoinis atm does not rotate the strike puts pressure on the guys up the other end....and thinks with his over inflated ego that he can smash 20 off an over at the end of the game......its just stupid and Langer should be giving him a rocket

Last night was just beyond dumb, and it's typical of his batting where he's 10 off 25 early on. Surely you can get that up to 18 off 25 without too much risk. I've never rated him and his bowling is severely overrated for what he does. The positive with him over Marsh is the fact he can be trusted to not break a toenail and break down mid match.

Marsh if fit is a better limited overs cricketer personally, however his form is awful, he's got no runs for a good 4-5 months and he hasn't bowled much. We are already carrying Finch and trying to get him in form..can we do it for two players?

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood

I thought they might have made a couple of changes and looked at another couple of players. Might suggest a relatively safe squad selection?

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

I thought they might have made a couple of changes and looked at another couple of players. Might suggest a relatively safe squad selection?

Why oh Why isn't Short even considered in the squad ??

I can understand why Warner Smith and Starc are not being considered..We know what we are going to get

The Usman decision just baffles me it really does

Can someone explain to me why we aren't considering a guy who has scored 250 in our ODI comp and can bowl leg spin..is a good field over someone who has consistently struggled against spin in the subcontinent is average in the field and we are still waiting for a hundred from him ??

This is the perfect opportunity for Short to be given a go....

I just don't get it

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
I dont get it either. Short playing in this ODI series against India and the UAE series would potentially be more beneficial to Australia than having him come in at 7 in the Sheffield Shield currently

Pretty disappointing.

Why oh Why isn't Short even considered in the squad ??

I can understand why Warner Smith and Starc are not being considered..We know what we are going to get

The Usman decision just baffles me it really does

Can someone explain to me why we aren't considering a guy who has scored 250 in our ODI comp and can bowl leg spin..is a good field over someone who has consistently struggled against spin in the subcontinent is average in the field and we are still waiting for a hundred from him ??

This is the perfect opportunity for Short to be given a go....

I just don't get it

The WC isn’t in the sub continent though. It won’t turn that much in English WC pitches. I’m not shocked they have stuck relatively solid. Khawaja has done just enough and I do stress the word JUST. He wouldn’t be in my side but neither would Short so I’m not fussed either way.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

I'm starting to like Stoinis as a player (because he's been performing), but he does spend an inordinate amount of time scratching around and getting himself set at the start of his innings, and leaves his run a bit too late sometimes.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
and there it is - the squad for the Pakistan tour.

a squad of 15.

finch, khawaja, smarsh, handscomb, turner, stoinis, Maxwell, carey, coulter-nile, cummins, krichardson, jrichardson, behrendoff, zampa, lyon.

it's now a case of who can make their way into the 15 for the world cup from this point.

for me smith, warner, starc and even hazlewood come into the world cup squad, meaning 2 batters and 2 bowlers making way if that's the case.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
and there it is - the squad for the Pakistan tour.

a squad of 15.

finch, khawaja, smarsh, handscomb, turner, stoinis, Maxwell, carey, coulter-nile, cummins, krichardson, jrichardson, behrendoff, zampa, lyon.

it's now a case of who can make their way into the 15 for the world cup from this point.

for me smith, warner, starc and even hazlewood come into the world cup squad, meaning 2 batters and 2 bowlers making way if that's the case.
You'd think Turner plus 1 of Handscomb and Khawaja.

Bowlers would be 2 from KRichardson, Behrendorff and Lyon. Maybe NCN although I like his chances.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Bowlers would be 2 from KRichardson, Behrendorff and Lyon. Maybe NCN although I like his chances.
Yeah I don’t think Jhyes place is guaranteed just yet either. They clearly preference NCN and dorf to him to play at this point. Although I want him to be given a chance this series. Maybe today

Handscomb probably goes because he gives us a keeping option if we go that way.

Don’t think Kane Richardson goes but this series will tell a story

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so is our best side something like this:

Warner
Finch
S.Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood

with the reserves coming from : Khawaja, Handscomb, Coulter-Nile, J.Richardson, Behrendorf, Lyon ???

Yep, I’d assume you’ve nailed it.

I’d say NCN would rival Hazlewood for that first XI spot and Behrendorff will go as insurance for Starc if he goes down. I don’t think Lyon makes it as it isn’t in Asia and a second spinner won’t be required. I do wonder though if the selectors will want to risk both Hazlewood and Starc coming back from long-term injury lay offs. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Hazlewood was an unlucky omission as you aren’t leaving out Starc with a record like he has. Plus, NCN isn’t a downgrade on Josh anyway, plus he offers lower order hitting.

I’d imagine both Khawaja and Handscomb go, Turner is just a placeholder I’d think, not even really in consideration.

So long story short, I think Hazlewood might miss out altogether with NCN in the first XI and J.Richardson and The Dorff going in spots 14 and 15.

Back