Rolling World Cup squad thread

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We've all just assumed those two walk back in given their records but IF this current side keeps this level up through tonight's game and then the Pakistan games, does that automatic assumption need to be readdressed? Just spit-balling here, interested in thoughts.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I tell you what, I think you might be right on that one. This team is certainly not crying out for Warner to be rushed back in.

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Before this series I would’ve had

Warner
Finch
Smith
S. Marsh
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Zampa

Khawaja, Handscomb, Richardson, Behrendorff

After this series, I just don’t know. Khawaja and Handscomb have almost made it impossible to not be picked in the XI. Turner has himself a POD type player who should probably make the squad at least. Don’t think we have another like him. Don’t think Carey has been too bad but with the performance of some of the others he’d be out of my squad now. Deserves a few chances in the Pakistan series to make that number 7 spot his.

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Finch
Handscomb
Maxwell
Stoinis
Starc
Cummins
Hazelwood
Zampa

S.Marsh, Turner, Richardson, Coulter-Nile or Lyon

I’d have Finch out for Marsh or Turner if it was up to me but can’t see him out of the team. I hope they try him in the middle order (has worked in the IPL before) rather than moving Khawaja and Smith down. Khawaja’s best position is clearly opening, Smith’s best position is 3.

Stoinis worries me at 7 but I’m not convinced there is better options. Just don’t like guys in the middle order who face lots of dot balls. Maybe they need to open him like Rohit Sharma and just accept the 10 off 20 balls and back him to catch up. Not sure there is room for him to do that with our current players and he’ll have to make do at 7.

Richardson is banging down the door but I think I’d still back Hazlewood over him if push came to shove.

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
How is Hazlewood's fitness? Didn't Hohns say he had a recurrence after bowling recently?

Im starting to worry that he's not going to be 100% and they might leave him out to get fit for the Ashes.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
How is Hazlewood's fitness? Didn't Hohns say he had a recurrence after bowling recently?

Im starting to worry that he's not going to be 100% and they might leave him out to get fit for the Ashes.

Probably for the best, been in pretty ordinary form for a while and with Starc in a similar boat I'd rather back Behrendorff or Richardson if he's got question marks over match fitness.

Before this series I don't think Cummins was a lock in short form Cricket but he's clearly improved and is probably second bowler picked after Starc right now which makes the decision to leave him out easier.

Sproj

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’m really leaning towards:

1. S.Marsh
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Handscomb (wk)
5. Maxwell (c)
6. Turner
7. M.Marsh
8. Starc
9. Cummins
10. Richardson
11. Zampa

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
My squad
1. Finch (c)
2. Warner
3. Khawaja (Uzzie at 3 allows Finch and Warner to go hard in the first 10 overs and know that Khawaja can play the opening role if an early wicket falls).
4. Smith
5. Handscomb (wk)
6. Maxwell
7. Turner
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

S.Marsh (can bat anywhere in the top 4 as cover)
J.Richardson
M.Marsh
Lyon (second spin option if warranted)

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
so 5 more odi's to play and then the announcement of the wc squad.

us experts here have pretty much narrowed the list of candidates down from 30 to about 21 now.

looks as if we will take: (in bold are my rolling omissions)

9 batsmen/wicketkeepers/batting allrounders, meaning 3 of the below will miss:
- warner, finch, s.marsh, smith, Maxwell, stoinis, carey, khawaja, handscomb, turner, m.marsh, short

6 quicks/spinners/bowling allrounders
- starc, cummins, hazlewood, zampa, j.richardson, behrendorf, lyon, coulter-nile, k.richardson

or is there perhaps a bolter?

Good point by Mark Taylor that with Smith and Warner coming back into the side they need a strong captain like Finch at the World Cup. Can't give a rookie the captaincy in those circumstances

Finch,the first Australian captain to win an odi series from 0-2 down in India,the players must love him,chemistry of a team is everything.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I am really not sure about Maxwell, he is not a kid with potential and he simply fails far more often than he performs. He is not a reliable player and never has been. It’s almost as if the selectors are waiting fir him to deliver something he can’t.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
With Smith and Warner coming back in, I feel Khawaja, SMarsh and Handscomb are battling for one spot, with Khawaja leading the race atm.

That’s unless they pick handscomb as a keeper which I hope doesn’t happen.

I think the eleven might look like

Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Richardson
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

With the rest of the squad consisting of

SMarsh
Handscomb
Berendorf
Lyon

Hopefully Maxwell doesn’t bat any lower than five and I don’t see the point in playing Handscomb if you can’t fit him in any higher then seven in place of Carey. Finch is a lock with the selectors and it’s too late to trial a new captain now.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
With Smith and Warner coming back in, I feel Khawaja, SMarsh and Handscomb are battling for one spot, with Khawaja leading the race atm.

That’s unless they pick handscomb as a keeper which I hope doesn’t happen.

I think the eleven might look like

Finch
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey
Richardson
Cummins
Starc
Zampa

With the rest of the squad consisting of

SMarsh
Handscomb
Berendorf
Lyon

Hopefully Maxwell doesn’t bat any lower than five and I don’t see the point in playing Handscomb if you can’t fit him in any higher then seven in place of Carey. Finch is a lock with the selectors and it’s too late to trial a new captain now.

Agree I think Marsh is finished. Handscomb just locked himself in the squad and probably the 11 for the world cup. Maxwell should not even be close to a lock in the squad and Turner is a better option than him. Smith and Warner are the interesting ones and there IPL form will play a role. Smith in for me but no Warner.

My Eleven

Finch
Khawaja
Handscomb
Smith
Stoinis
Turner
Carey
Richardson
Cummings
Stark
Zampa

Rest of the squad

Lyon
Maxwell
Berendorf
S.Marsh

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of people leaving Warner out of their team, is this because you don’t want the dickhead coming back or short memories forgetting how good an ODI opener he is?

Last edited:

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Calm down peoples there is still time before the squad is announced ... another 5 ODI series coming up

What the India series has shown me is that we have options available and that is fantastic for the side but remember this was played in subcontinent conditions....England is different place entirely....even if they produce dry wickets....it will swing and seam

This series against Pakistan is going to be massive

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Agree I think Marsh is finished. Handscomb just locked himself in the squad and probably the 11 for the world cup. Maxwell should not even be close to a lock in the squad and Turner is a better option than him. Smith and Warner are the interesting ones and there IPL form will play a role. Smith in for me but no Warner.

My Eleven

Finch
Khawaja
Handscomb
Smith
Stoinis
Turner
Carey
Richardson
Cummings
Stark
Zampa

Rest of the squad

Lyon
Maxwell
Berendorf
S.Marsh
Maxwell is in there. Not only for his batting but he gives us another bowling option.

He’ll be miss hitting sixes on those small English grounds.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Maxwell is in there. Not only for his batting but he gives us another bowling option.

He’ll be miss hitting sixes on those small English grounds.

With the emergence of Turner ....Maxwell is actually under the pump....

Still waiting for a 50 and hundred from him in the ODI...which he consistently does not produce

If they are going to Drop S marsh after scoring ODI hundreds in the summer and then having a poor 3 games....Maxwell surely is in the firing line as well

As I said before he needs a big Pakistan series to secure his spot

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
With the emergence of Turner ....Maxwell is actually under the pump....

Still waiting for a 50 and hundred from him in the ODI...which he consistently does not produce

If they are going to Drop S marsh after scoring ODI hundreds in the summer and then having a poor 3 games....Maxwell surely is in the firing line as well

As I said before he needs a big Pakistan series to secure his spot

He needs a score. I can understand the leeway given though as we have a multitude of batting accumulators available though not many with his explosive qualities which will be needed to beat the likes of England if they are to score 360+. If he goes off it goes a long way to winning the thing.

Back