Rolling World Cup squad thread

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
To be fair to Stoinis, he did come into the summer as one of our most important ODI players for a reason. But then had a poor summer & now Asian tour which went under the radar in the media. Whereas Shaun Marsh only has to have a poor Indian leg of the Asian ODI's and out come the drums.

Where Stoinis problem is, he got great numbers batting for himself in lost causes, but when the team started winning, he couldn’t perform

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Warne’s justification for leaving Khawaja out was that the conditions wont be the same in England as they were in India and the UAE. If recent ODI’s in England are anything to go by the pitches will be even flatter and a bit quicker which should suit Khawaja even more than the pitches in India and the UAE. Handscomb has also been fantastic in the middle, scoring at close to 100, rotates the strike brilliantly and has the gears to up the r/r when needed. Warne has lost the plot.

Cainozz

Club Legend
Feb 6, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Have finally settled on a squad that I'd love to see head to the World Cup

Playing XI for first game
1. Warner - picks himself
2. Finch (c)
3. Khawaja - picks himself on recent form
4. Smith - picks himself
5. Handscomb (wk)
6. Maxwell - picks himself
7. M.Marsh - Solid ODI record and can flick the switch between power hitting and rotating the strike).
8. Cummins - picks himself
9. Starc - Easily one of the best white ball bowlers when on song
10. Zampa - picks himself on recent form
11. Lyon (if conditions suit, otherwise backup seamer of Haze or Richo)

12. S.Marsh (Incredibly unlucky to miss out on final XI but the others are probably better at rotating strike. First inline backup bat)
13. Turner (can be destructive on smaller english grounds - backup for an all-rounder)
14. J.Richardson
15. Hazlewood

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

2. Finch (c)
4. Smith - picks himself
5. Handscomb (wk)
7. M.Marsh - Solid ODI record and can flick the switch between power hitting and rotating the strike).

12. S.Marsh (Incredibly unlucky to miss out on final XI but the others are probably better at rotating strike. First inline backup bat)
13. Turner (can be destructive on smaller english grounds - backup for an all-rounder)
14. J.Richardson
15. Hazlewood

Pretty close to what I would like to see, but absolutely no room for Lyon in the squad let alone in the XI.

Nel_cats

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

2. Finch (c)
4. Smith - picks himself
5. Handscomb (wk)

14. J.Richardson
15. Hazlewood
Hmmm I'd have Khawaja as opener or out. S.Marsh is a much better number 3 than him and probably deserves that spot over 2 years of good form.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I would be very surprised if Turner gets picked. His shoulder is pretty stuffed meaning he can't bowl or throw. The latter is too much of a liability in a 50-over match.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would be very surprised if Turner gets picked. His shoulder is pretty stuffed meaning he can't bowl or throw. The latter is too much of a liability in a 50-over match.

Until his matchwinning knock in India was only really considered a relative placeholder in the squad. As big a fan as I am of his and am very confident he will play a significant role for Australia in the short formats for many years to come, I think it would be a reactionary mistake if he is in and Marsh or Khawaja miss out.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
1. Warner
2. Finch (C)
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey (wk)
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

12. S Marsh
13. Handscomb
14. Lyon
15. Richardson (Coulter-Nile)

I think you've nailed it.

the first XI is how I would go.

happy with S.Marsh and J.Richardson (if fit) as reserves.

possibly M.Marsh for handscomb - tough one this as if no handscomb , carey is a lock for every match and fair enough, but if no M.Marsh . Stoinis is basically playing every game (for team balance).

lyon/behrendorf/coulter-nile for the last spot for me. I'd like to think this player wouldn't be used - unless they play first one v Afghanistan and keep hazlewood or starc in cotton wool a little longer. I'd hate for us to disrespect the afghani's though.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you've nailed it.

the first XI is how I would go.

happy with S.Marsh and J.Richardson (if fit) as reserves.

possibly M.Marsh for handscomb - tough one this as if no handscomb , carey is a lock for every match and fair enough, but if no M.Marsh . Stoinis is basically playing every game (for team balance).

lyon/behrendorf/coulter-nile for the last spot for me. I'd like to think this player wouldn't be used - unless they play first one v Afghanistan and keep hazlewood or starc in cotton wool a little longer. I'd hate for us to disrespect the afghani's though.

You would hardly disrepect the Afghans if you played any of those three!

The chatter tonight from the journalists is that Handscomb and Hazlewood will miss out on the World Cup squad.

Hazelwood wouldn't have been fit till halfway through the tournament. Waste of time.

Handscomb is unlucky but someone was going to be

Blue Dimension

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
N Mystics & GC Lightning
Really disappointed for Handscomb if true. His strike rate and ability to work the ball against spin in the middle overs has been very underrated imo. I know someone has to miss but sad to hear it is him.

Back