AFL Club
West Coast
I would of liked to see Turner in the squad

his batting can turn a game
Stoinis bats like he is having a net...lots of wasted deliveries

I would of liked to see Turner in the squad

his batting can turn a game
Stoinis bats like he is having a net...lots of wasted deliveries

If Turner was bowling I'd agree. However he isn't. Was either Stoinis or Mitch Marsh.

yeah I understood the reason...hope Stoinis batting does not cost us though

do we really need 2 spinners ?..line ball

Handy to have the option of 2 spinners, happy for the 2nd spinner to be picked.

I'd have picked Mitch Marsh, but would be a bit of a gamble

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Decent squad - Handscomb definitely unlucky. Did all he could do to get picked.

Lyon very lucky.

The five quicks might be excessive.

To me, 15th position would have been decided between Lyon, Handscomb and the fifth quick.
Its still touch and go whether two of those five quicks will be right for the start of the tournament. That, along with covering for at least one inevitable injury part-way through, probably played into the thinking.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
standby for languishing revision of personality and telling myself off for dubious nettles and
stones.. finch... Davey.. smitty... and I digress... and I am shoving a foot in mouth dudes...

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a quality team, I can’t be the only one that thinks we have a good chance of winning this.

The uncertainty and lack of stability of rotating half the team even few games really hurt us over the last few years. Look at what happened in Asia when we kept the same squad together for 10 games, most of which played against India earlier on.

Smith, Warner and Starc simply had to come back in but largely the squad has stayed the same and will have been together for a month or two prior to the tournament.

I don’t think we’re the best team in it tbh but we’ll do better than most think. England’s to lose at home imo. History says they’ll choke though - it’ll be fun to see how they manage it.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Stability helps a lot and so does picking an extra batter. Lehmann was obsessed with picking bits and pieces players who did nothing. Picking four to five quality batsmen allows you to build an innings and chase down totals. Lehmann never got the balance right. I am glad he is gone.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Stability helps a lot and so does picking an extra batter. Lehmann was obsessed with picking bits and pieces players who did nothing. Picking four to five quality batsmen allows you to build an innings and chase down totals. Lehmann never got the balance right. I am glad he is gone.

He wasn't the only selector. Not having Warner and Smith has probably helped the selectors sort out the ANothers for the first 11 as much as anything else.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
He wasn't the only selector. Not having Warner and Smith has probably helped the selectors sort out the ANothers for the first 11 as much as anything else.

No he wasn’t but even on Fox Sports the other week when asked to pick his World Cup squad he had guys like Short, Lynn and Turner in there proving he hadn’t learnt a thing.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
No he wasn’t but even on Fox Sports the other week when asked to pick his World Cup squad he had guys like Short, Lynn and Turner in there proving he hadn’t learnt a thing.
Must've been having a chat with Warnie. Speaking of which, Warnies going to be devastated he won't get to see a Short/Stoinis opening partnership. Even more so when Stoinis (hopefully) doesn't play more than a couple of games. I assume it's all Starc's fault.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Must've been having a chat with Warnie. Speaking of which, Warnies going to be devastated he won't get to see a Short/Stoinis opening partnership. Even more so when Stoinis (hopefully) doesn't play more than a couple of games. I assume it's all Starc's fault.

Stoinis is guaranteed every game, who is going to replace him in that squad?

The only selection choices will be between Khawaja and Marsh and who bats where in positions 2-4 between them, Smith and Warner and which quicks play which game or Lyon.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Smith sitting on the bench for his IPL team now, Warner still getting runs.

toml

Club Legend
Nov 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Smith sitting on the bench for his IPL team now, Warner still getting runs.

Rough to compare the two in T20's though. Smith has only ever been ok at T20's so it's not unsurprising to see him not doing well, on the other hand, Warner is one of the best T20 bats ever.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
Smith has an average over 40 and a strike rate over 80 and is a proven match winner in an actual world cup win so you would think that is far more important than his form in a domestic 20/20 comp.

But Smith is not Warner and may take more time to come back from the year off and the reasons for the year off. He's more of a risk than Warner in terms of his emotional state I reckon, though I hope I'm wrong as he's in the starting 11.

BlueandGoldforever

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
But Smith is not Warner and may take more time to come back from the year off and the reasons for the year off. He's more of a risk than Warner in terms of his emotional state I reckon, though I hope I'm wrong as he's in the starting 11.
I think the same. I think Smith will take a while to get going again at the international level.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Behind enemy lines, it seems the England boys club attitude is still alive and kicking:
Mark Wood has warned England must work hard to ensure Jofra Archer does not become cricket's answer to Faustino Asprilla as a much-discussed World Cup selection edges near.

"There is no doubt that Jofra is a world-class player. He plays in the hardest tournaments, the IPL and the Big Bash, and excels.

"He would obviously be a great asset but would that affect the dynamic of the team? Would I want to see someone like Liam Plunkett, who has been our best bowler for three years, left out? No.

"Would I want to see myself left out? Obviously not. Would I want to see David Willey, who I am close friends with and who gives you a left-arm option, left out? No.

"Would I want to see Chris Woakes, who I am really good friends with and has taken loads of wickets, left out? No. Or Tom Curran, who has bowled well?

"It is hard to see. Does anyone deserve to be left out? I don't know."
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...nd-squad-jofra-archer-mark-wood-a8871816.html

England has a good squad

Bats: Eoin Morgan, Johnny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Joe Denly, Alex Hales, Joe Root, Jason Roy
All Rounders: Ben Stokes, Moeen Ali
Bowlers: David Willey, Chris Woakes, Tom Curran, Mark Wood, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid

The good thing about this squad is that if push comes to shove, Woakes is a genuine top 7 bat if Stokes/Ali have a form slump. I think their best XI will be:

Bairstow
Hales
Root
Morgan
Buttler
Stokes
Ali
Woakes
Willey
Rashid
Wood

Curran and Plunkett very unlucky

Boys club? Let's be frank, has Archer shown all that much outside of T20 cricket?

English cricket is forever dreaming of a saviour, even when one is not required.
Averages 23 in FC cricket, strike rate of 45, 42 wickets in 8 games in County cricket (admittedly Div 2). 21 wickets in 14 List A games.

Back