Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have seemed a more like-for-like replacement.

Hazelwood isn't match fit and won't be till a lot closer to the Ashes. This injury is major, lets not rush him back, and wreck him for another 12 months.

Thought Hazlewood would still be a better selection than Kane Richardson.

probably is but hazlewood is in cotton wool.

I would have preferred another batting allrounderin the squad (say a M.Marsh) as I thought we were already one too many quicks in the squad.

End of the day sure K.Richardson is spare parts and will be a bench player and won't play a major part anyways.

Starc and Cummins are going to have to do some heavy lifting that's for sure.
Why? Australia have 4 very capable ODI quicks in the squad and a bloke that I reckon could get games at several of the other teams.

I'm not concerned about our bowling attack. It's whether our batsmen perform that is the question. Over the last couple of years, we seem to lack either output or firepower from 4-7 in the order, and chasing anything over 300 seems to be a weird struggle.

if you aren't concerned about our bowling attack, then we shouldn't be chasing scores of 300+.

if you aren't concerned about our bowling attack, then we shouldn't be chasing scores of 300+.

It's pretty easy for the score to get out of hand with a couple of poor overs in today's cricket, though.

Basically, I have more faith in our bowlers to take wickets or restrict runs than I do in our batsmen to set or chase a winning total.

gonna be interesting which XI go up against Afghanistan in the first match.
will they keep the likes of starc and/or cummins or cotton wool because its 'only' Afghanistan.
under estimate them at your own risk, but they could pose a problem.

for me it looks as if k.richardson and lyon will only play if required.

the last pace spot looks between behrendorf and coulter-nile.

not sure who will start as the reserve bat/batting allrounder - my guess is s.marsh.

as to the batting line up, who knows:

D.Warner
A.Finch
U.Khawaja
S.Smith
G.Maxwell
M.Stoinis
A.Carey
P.Cummins
N.Coulter-Nile/J.Behrendorf
M.Starc
A.Zampa

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an odd post given Behrendorff and Coulter Nile have been excellent in ODI's. :huh:
Could probably say the same regarding some of your posts about Lyon. He's played a great role in the middle overs since returning to the side.

Could probably say the same regarding some of your posts about Lyon. He's played a great role in the middle overs since returning to the side.

Great is an enormous overstatement.

gonna be interesting which XI go up against Afghanistan in the first match.
will they keep the likes of starc and/or cummins or cotton wool because its 'only' Afghanistan.
under estimate them at your own risk, but they could pose a problem.

for me it looks as if k.richardson and lyon will only play if required.

the last pace spot looks between behrendorf and coulter-nile.

not sure who will start as the reserve bat/batting allrounder - my guess is s.marsh.

as to the batting line up, who knows:

D.Warner
A.Finch
U.Khawaja
S.Smith
G.Maxwell
M.Stoinis
A.Carey
P.Cummins
N.Coulter-Nile/J.Behrendorf
M.Starc
A.Zampa

Insanity if they're thinking of resting players for the first game. A loss would be disastrous for the entire campaign, definitely not worth flirting with anything that reduces the likelihood of a victory - the gulf is just not big enough to warrant the risk.

They’ll be no easy games this tournament. Afghanistan aren’t the Scotland, Netherlands, Namibia, Bermuda or UAE of yesteryear. They’ll be better than any qualifier from previous tournaments and that includes teams like Kenya 2003 and Ireland 2007/2011 who made it past the group stage. Not to be underestimated.

FWIW I’m not a fan of seven bowlers in a squad of 15. I think Starc, Cummins, NCN, Behrendorff, Lyon and Zampa is a good enough group without the fifth quick. Having Carey as our only keeper worries me when if he gets injured for a game or two and we have either use Finch or Warner behind the stumps or end Carey’s tournament early for the sake of a few games. Handscomb also offers another batting option - I think we have just about everything else well enough covered.

They’ll be no easy games this tournament. Afghanistan aren’t the Scotland, Netherlands, Namibia, Bermuda or UAE of yesteryear. They’ll be better than any qualifier from previous tournaments and that includes teams like Kenya 2003 and Ireland 2007/2011 who made it past the group stage. Not to be underestimated.
I'd back Afghanistan to finish in front of both Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

FWIW I’m not a fan of seven bowlers in a squad of 15. I think Starc, Cummins, NCN, Behrendorff, Lyon and Zampa is a good enough group without the fifth quick. Having Carey as our only keeper worries me when if he gets injured for a game or two and we have either use Finch or Warner behind the stumps or end Carey’s tournament early for the sake of a few games. Handscomb also offers another batting option - I think we have just about everything else well enough covered.

I agree totally. I would have rathered m.marsh or handscomb replace j.richardson personally.

we have traditionally gone in with one keeper into world cups with a couple of exceptions:
- '03 gilchrist and maher was taken as a back up batsman and keeper.
- '07 gilchrist and haddin taken as a back up as gilchrist was n/a for first part of tournament due to birth of child - there was no other way around it.
- '11 haddin and paine went.

- '15 haddin was the sole keeper and I guess they banked on warner of finch if required, which looks the same again.

Personally I would have had Marsh and Hank for Uzzie and Richo. They've locked themselves into a 4-7 of Smith, Maxwell, Stoinis and Carey given the other bats have to go top 3. The added flexibility that Marsh and Handscomb provides is that Smith and Carey can bat top 3 if necessary

Personally I would have had Marsh and Hank for Uzzie and Richo. They've locked themselves into a 4-7 of Smith, Maxwell, Stoinis and Carey given the other bats have to go top 3. The added flexibility that Marsh and Handscomb provides is that Smith and Carey can bat top 3 if necessary

Maxwell, Stoinis, Carey have pretty much been locks at 5,6,7 since the announcement of the 15 man squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back