Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

IPL means nothing but a few warm up games are a reason to not pick him? This isn't an untried player we are talking about, he has the talent and was batting extremely well only a month ago. If we want any chance to win it all he will play a significant role for us.
I just had a look at warners last 10 ODI games and he hasn't been too flashy lately apart from a good century. I don't know... we'll see I guess. But i have no doubt that there's no way he isn't in the starting x1 for the first game

IPL means nothing but a few warm up games are a reason to not pick him? This isn't an untried player we are talking about, he has the talent and was batting extremely well only a month ago. If we want any chance to win it all he will play a significant role for us.
IPL = T20, Warm up games = OD matches.

Ah so he's going to score 6 hundreds then. Ok. Warmup matches count for form.
Yeah nice hyperbole mate i definitely said that champ...

You just completely discredited his IPL form and based his selection purely on some warm up matches, i think that is flawed logic. The warm up matches hold some weight but Warner is one of the most talented batsmen we have and i can't see us winning the World cup without him in the team. It may be a risk banking on him finding form but i think it is one worth taking. He hasn't just forgotten how to bat over the last 12 months.

Yeah nice hyperbole mate i definitely said that champ...

You just completely discredited his IPL form and based his selection purely on some warm up matches, i think that is flawed logic. The warm up matches hold some weight but Warner is one of the most talented batsmen we have and i can't see us winning the World cup without him in the team. It may be a risk banking on him finding form but i think it is one worth taking. He hasn't just forgotten how to bat over the last 12 months.

No, but his form in the 12 months prior to his banning weren’t much chop either...

He's the anti-Shaun Marsh. Great recent record in ODIs but people only remember the bad stuff, and vice versa for Warner.
Warner has a better record than Marsh does in ODIs tbf but I see your point.

Last edited:

True, but the alternative option to Warner currently averages 60 in 2019 and is the current highest run scorer in ODI’s this year. If he doesn’t make runs in any of the upcoming warm up matches then we will see Khawaja opening in game 1 against Afghanistan.

I really think we should go with Lyon as the first choice spinner. I just trust him more than Zampa to not get belted, and we need a "holding" bowler, to be able to keep teams under 300. We don't have the firepower with the bat to chase large totals with the bat, so we can't have bowlers that are prone to 1-2 overs every innings where 8+ runs are conceeded, which is where the score gets out of hand.

Zampa's bowling average over the last two years (22 matches) in ODIs is 43.69 as well, so he's continually being picked on the idea of what he could do, rather than actual output or being better than Lyon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They left their run too late. They're stuck with Zampa imo, for better or worse.

The entire handling of spin in the OD team between the end of the 2015 WC and the start of this year was an absolute disgrace. Using the date range of post 2015 WC to the 1st of January this year, every other team in this year's WC used more spin in OD cricket than Australia did, including Ireland (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...5;spanval2=span;template=results;type=bowling) and of course, Australia's second most used spinner in that date range was Travis Head (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=bowling). Adam Zampa had a good start to OD cricket, then started getting dropped every other game and then went through a 9 game spare post the 2017 Champions Trophy to the the start of his year where he averaged over 80 (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=bowling), and now he's probably gonna be given an incredibly long lash during the WC on the back of, I suppose, his start to OD cricket 3 years ago. It's all over the place.

And now they've tried to do a last minute dash and try to give spin a permanent place in the team (In 13 ODI's this year, Australia has used almost 300 overs of spin. In 63 ODIs from May 2015 to 01/01/2019, they used 658 overs.) to very mixed results so far. Zampa should have been a fixed inclusion and when he started performing badly, he should have been replaced by Lyon to see how he went. They did neither of these things and now find themselves in a hole

They left their run too late. They're stuck with Zampa imo, for better or worse.

The entire handling of spin in the OD team between the end of the 2015 WC and the start of this year was an absolute disgrace. Using the date range of post 2015 WC to the 1st of January this year, every other team in this year's WC used more spin in OD cricket than Australia did, including Ireland (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...5;spanval2=span;template=results;type=bowling) and of course, Australia's second most used spinner in that date range was Travis Head (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=bowling). Adam Zampa had a good start to OD cricket, then started getting dropped every other game and then went through a 9 game spare post the 2017 Champions Trophy to the the start of his year where he averaged over 80 (http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...al1=span;team=2;template=results;type=bowling), and now he's probably gonna be given an incredibly long lash during the WC on the back of, I suppose, his start to OD cricket 3 years ago. It's all over the place.

And now they've tried to do a last minute dash and try to give spin a permanent place in the team (In 13 ODI's this year, Australia has used almost 300 overs of spin. In 63 ODIs from May 2015 to 01/01/2019, they used 658 overs.) to very mixed results so far. Zampa should have been a fixed inclusion and when he started performing badly, he should have been replaced by Lyon to see how he went. They did neither of these things and now find themselves in a hole
It just ain't natural for Australians to bowl spin, neither is it for South Africans or Englishmen. But South Africa and England both have spinners with overseas heritage, and I guess you say have been lucky with that. The fact of the matter is, Zampa averages 50 in Sheffield Shield, and probably isn't a consistent-enough bowler to have legendary figures in the game. So we are in a hole, but it is something we need to try to dig ourselves out of.

Lyon is a proven failure in the shorter formats.

Not really true at all. Zampa has averaged in the 40s in ODIs over the past two years. What does that make him?

Lyon should have been given a more consistent opportunity in the international shorter formats, given that he excels in them domestically when he plays. We're too enamoured with leg spin (even when they don't spin it), and are afraid of "ruining" Lyon (as though good players can't adapt between formats) though, so here we are.

Hasn't done a thing domestically to deserve it, mind.
He's barely played limited overs unfortunately. When he does though, he does well. If you take out his ODI's, his List A record looks like:

31 matches, 39 wickets, average 31, strike rate 39, economy rate 4.8. Those are good domestic numbers.

He's barely played limited overs unfortunately. When he does though, he does well. If you take out his ODI's, his List A record looks like:

31 matches, 39 wickets, average 31, strike rate 39, economy rate 4.8. Those are good domestic numbers.

It would be another selection based on what he might do, and/or what he did a couple of years ago, like Zampa. Agar has been poor in all formats for a couple of years. Turning into a bit of a no-rounder really.

I don't see the problem with Lyon TBH. He's not ripping through sides (few spinners are in ODIs), but he's consistent, economical, and a brilliant fielder too. Saves runs with the ball and in the outfield, and can still get 1-2 wickets himself too.

Khawaja has to make the side his recent form is just too good to ignore unfortunately that means marsh misses out and he deserves a spot over finch but it just isn't going to happen.

It's a very long tournament though so whoever misses out will be a quality player who could still end up playing a big role in later games.

Last edited:
Khawaja should be opening, with Smith at 3. Wish we had tried Finch at 4 or even 5 during the warm up matches. Would be good to get him away from the opening bowlers and the handful of overs the ball will actually swing, he still looks shot. Let him come in when the slow bowlers and part-timers are on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back