Rolling World Cup squad thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Usman is being set up to fail.

He is a 1-3 Batsman or bust. No floating down the order, no not coming in at 3 because of left/right. Pick him at 3 and play him at 3 or leave him out.

He should have come in at 3 last night and consolidated with Warner. Smith then comes in at 4 and then Maxwell then can use his firepower to greater effect.
What Warner has done in this World Cup is basically what Khawaja was doing pre-World Cup. Khawaja could have easily made a hundred at a s/r of 95 like Warner did last night. Warner's best position may be opening however I think Khawaja opening and Warner at 3 (or even floating between 3-6) is better for the side than Warner opening and Khawaja at 3/floating.

Can't see them changing it now though.

I reckon Smith needs to go in at four. He doesn’t need time to get his eye in like SMarsh or Khawaja, just starts churning singles to keep his sr up. Marsh and Khawaja do get to a strike rate of 100, they just work their way up to it.

I still think James Faulkner would of been the best all rounder. Good bowler with a lot of variety and can hot quick runs when required. Not the strongest batter but a very good bowling option, and would expect him to be good in English conditions.

From my point of view not worried about the recent "controversy around him, but possibly that and his drink driving issues from beforehand have let to his omission.

He’s barely got a run in the last period that’s why- has very little to do with his off field issues. Just no to Faulkner he’s way past it.

I reckon Smith needs to go in at four. He doesn’t need time to get his eye in like SMarsh or Khawaja, just starts churning singles to keep his sr up. Marsh and Khawaja do get to a strike rate of 100, they just work their way up to it.

Depends who is bowling- if the spinners are on I’d want Smith coming in.

His performances fell off a cliff in his last year or so of international cricket and hasn't exactly lit it up since. He couldn't bat in the top 6 and his bowling isn't good enough anymore to be a 3rd seamer.

Anyone calling for Faulkner's inclusion hasn't watched or followed cricket since 2015.

Anyone calling for Faulkner's inclusion hasn't watched or followed cricket since 2015.
True thats a fair call he has been ordinary recently but at least an all rounder who could (possibly past tense) bowl. Far better than stonis or marsh with the bowl. But horribly out of form, but talented

True thats a fair call he has been ordinary recently but at least an all rounder who could (possibly past tense) bowl. Far better than stonis or marsh with the bowl. But horribly out of form, but talented

Beg to differ on that.

But if we're talking bringing back all-rounders from the past, Shane Watson would be by far preferable.

Had a few good games in 16 and 17 but clearly out of favour. And performances dipped. But one day team was strughling then. Was man of ma

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the answer is of course "with the bat". which was the whole issue, he was a bowling all-rounder picked for his batting and once his batting returned to normal levels, people realized he wasn't really that good with the ball. but if you were to pick faulkner, you'd presumably would have dropped stoinis/marsh and picked carey at 6, meaning faulkner would have been closer to the 5th bowling option than the 4th

1560498696387.png

through sheer luck, picking faulkner for the 2015 WC didn't backfire, as he wasn't required to do what was causing him to be picked (batting) and the actual thing he did (bowl) happened to the best it ever was. but he didn't get worse after the wc, he's the same as he ever was.

Last edited:
Faulkner's main issue is that he has only been fit enough to play T20s over the last few years.

Once he got done drink driving and pissed off the brass it is a long way back though because of the bastardised 50 over domestic comp. Even players who do well in that are overlooked. You basically need to be a CA golden boy or show form in the other formats to play 50 over cricket for Australia.

Did the article need to point out he has been spending time in the gym? I assume that's his second home.

He's really not important enough to our campaign to sweat on, should make the call now.
I'd call it a bit of a blow if he ends up staying in the squad & they don't make the change to M Marsh.

On U FEEL PRIME using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would have thought James Pattinson would be a good fit for the ODI team. Would go very well in the number 8 spot right now. Was he ever considered?
Poor Limited Overs bowler. Tremain would be better

Khawaja needs to get dropped.

Averages 53.63 as an opener with a strike rate of 86, with 2 tons and 8 50's.
Averages 22.64 everywhere else with a strike rate of 76, with 0 tons and 2 50's.

Can only play as an opener in ODI cricket.

My team

Warner
Finch
S Marsh
Smith
Maxwell
Carey
Coulter Nile
Cummins
Starc
Richardson / Lyon
Zampa

It is a long tail but bowling is where I think we are vulnerable. Just for this tournament and only when required I'd throw one of the bowlers up the order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back