Romantic getaway ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah so short means we'll only be going away for a weekend (3days max) and yes don't really want to go too far.

https://www.kingisland.org.au/

It's a place I'd like to check out one day, and a place where I definitely wouldn't go with the kids at their current age. Just a place to laze about for a weekend and do what you feel like really.

I hope you go to the bone zone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. I know a bit about this. We go on these weekends 2-3 times s year. Here are my suggestions for that sort of place where you want to enjoy yourself and also evoke the right mood. And just a drive away.

Wherever you go on Friday arvo, the key is getting out of melbs before 4. Earlier if you can. Relaxation does not start with stress on a freeway.

1. Port fairy. 3 and a half hours drive. A fair way I know but it’s beautiful, and at that time of year will have open fires in good pubs or in most accommodation. Restaurant are good. Walking is interesting, not too many shops with cushions and crap, but there are some. I think there’s only one selling dreamcathchers.

2. Metung or lakes entrance. Same distance but the other way. Equally beautiful, but different. Boats and the sound of masts in the wind. Metung doesn’t have much of anything so not much to do other than walk and lay around. Maximises opportunities! There’s a pub but I’m not even sure it’s open. Lakes entrance is a bit busier with more to do and restaurants ad pubs and stuff. And more shops. Fishing is a possibility.

3. Geelong. Only 1.5 hours. good romantic bar there called customs house. Good restaurants, good pubs. It’s a bigger city but walking along eastern beach is nice. Or queenscliff. Another 40 mins and very pretty. You could go on the blues train if it’s operating at that time.

4. Castlemaine and or Bendigo. 2 hours. I like these. Good walks around the cities and good bars and food at both. I can give suggestions for actual venues. Interesting architecture. Open fires aplenty. There’s not so much to do that you don’t have time for a ‘nap’ in the afternoon before dinner. I find this to be the most relaxing time of the weekend and the most likely.

5. Ballarat, much like Bendigo but a bit closer.

6. Echuca. 2 and a half hours. Very pretty. Lots of good pubs and restaurants. Great walking along the river, riverboats whistling.

7. Daylesford. Yeah. Nice. Good food and drink. Romance aplenty. It’s their schtick. Too many cushion shops and dreamcatchers for mine.

I rate any of the top 6. Daylesford is ok but I got my heart broken there once so I’m a bit wary.

Good luck.

Runk I'd just book a B&B at a place like The Grampians, Heathcote, the Macedon Ranges, something like that within 2 hours of Ballarat, and I doubt you could go too far wrong. Clean air, great scenery, great food, great wine, no kids, ?, profit.

This place is stunning - the Mrs and I stayed here the night we got engaged and the scenery is amazing. There isn't much to do on site so anything you want to do would be a drive away, but the cabins are fully self contained.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/15956405

Remove this Banner Ad

Back