Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly!

I love Snelling, and arguably he has performed as well as Houston ... but Houston's move to half-back through the preseason has been fortuitous for him, in view of the double injuries to our backmen.

Think, people, think!
Thanks for that ... it doesnt alter the point I was making in context though. He has had a great pres-season, and has been a revelation in the 2 games. but the reality is that is we had had a midfielder injured instead of Pittard, then Atley would probably have got the gig, & Houston would be watching from the stands.

Pittard injured meant Houston got the call up, and he has owned it ... well done!

A real conundrum for the selectors this week!

where has this guy come from? was he this good in the maggies last year?
He is better as a defender at AFL level than he was as a forward at SANFL. Taken to the new role very well.

Houston's game so far has reminded me of Heath Shaw. Getting the ball in the backlines and delivering it to the safest place. He's not as dominant yet as Heath was last year and that would be a tough act to follow but he could be anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that ... it doesnt alter the point I was making in context though. He has had a great pres-season, and has been a revelation in the 2 games. but the reality is that if we had had a midfielder injured instead of Pittard, then Atley would probably have got the gig, & Houston would be watching from the stands.
Pittard injured meant Houston got the call up, and he has owned it ... well done!
A real conundrum for the selectors this week!

Or another possibility is that Will Snelling may have been the rookie elevated. Whatever the reason, there will always be a bit of luck in a player getting a gig off the rookie list and some good players have quite probably been cut in the past because there has been nothing on the playing list for them.

I'm still amazed that he had 18 kicks and 0 handballs. If that doesn't scream 'composure' I don't know what does.

It is the perfect fantasy game (along with his 10 marks).

Really loving what this bloke has brought after the first two games.

No way in hell that he should be dropped, even if Hammer and Pittard are both fit. He's got a lot of DBJ 2016 about him and should be given an extended run in the side like Darcy had.

I was told by a Norwood mate who knows Basset very well, that Basset told him Dan gets very nervous before games and was even scared at the prospect of playing in the backlines. * the kid is a better actor than Laurence Olivier, because he is so composed and doesn't show any nerves out there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back