Player Watch Rookie Pick #45 (2015) - Dan Houston

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm amazed that Timmy Evans is only 189 cm, I remember him coming into my work one day in the early 80's, and he looked every bit of about 6' 4''.

I trust your judgement on that. I suspect the 189 comes from his VFL days when he was a 16 yo.

His pass to Ryder in the 2nd Qtr was eye catching. Paddy didn't convert like many others. geez we should have won.

I'd rather they miss now than in the real stuff.

I had almost forgotten Dan existed, especially with so much focus on our current lot of draftees. Nice surprise to hear how well he did. That competition for spots looks good. Let's hope Ken and co. put their money where their mouth is and drop under performers this season to give the kids a go.

I had almost forgotten Dan existed, especially with so much focus on our current lot of draftees. Nice surprise to hear how well he did. That competition for spots looks good. Let's hope Ken and co. put their money where their mouth is and drop under performers this season to give the kids a go.
My bold
No kidding but as for 'dropping under performers' history says this happens games after it should and the damage has been done.
If we're struggling mid season and the blow torch is on Ken then no player will be safe. He will be ruthless, as Paul Keating said
always back the horse called 'self interest'.

A touch depressing though when you realise a rookie shows up the kicking skills of our more seasoned midfield group. I think the way the current game is played is really showing up our lack of skills. We just cant continually defend turnovers. Hopefully Houston can find a niche and improve our teams de.

Hmm all well and good to say that on the back of a practice match. Keen to see how his year goes though, sounds as though he had some good games at the Magpies last year.

sounds as though he had some good games at the Magpies last year.
He did without tearing it up BUT his disposal and decision making was neat/good. Sometimes people
thrive on the big stage. Logan Austin in the PB's was ok, gets a chance with Bobby going down and voila.

I'm amazed that Timmy Evans is only 189 cm, I remember him coming into my work one day in the early 80's, and he looked every bit of about 6' 4''.
I met him in around 1979 at the Para Vista Lutheran church Fair (think it was Lutheran), I was about 6 and he was huge! One of my greatest childhood memories. Greg Phillips was there too, he was monster big!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Houston (& Hewetts) form from the mid point of the sanfl season in 2016 was exceptional, his performance against the Saints would be no surprise to anyone that watched the Magpies.

Houston has gone past Ah Chee.
He played one freaking practice match FFS and had 11 touches. Let's not go nuts here. If Ah Chee had played and got 11 touches we'd be spewing about how bad he was.

Houston showed some nice signs in a practice match, and there's stuff there to work with. Maybe leave it at that before declaring him ready for AFL.

He played one freaking practice match FFS and had 11 touches. Let's not go nuts here. If Ah Chee had played and got 11 touches we'd be spewing about how bad he was.

Houston showed some nice signs in a practice match, and there's stuff there to work with. Maybe leave it at that before declaring him ready for AFL.
The impressive part was his ball use - 100% efficacy

I met him in around 1979 at the Para Vista Lutheran church Fair (think it was Lutheran), I was about 6 and he was huge! One of my greatest childhood memories. Greg Phillips was there too, he was monster big!

Yeah, I was surprised how big Timmy was when I met him, I'm only a Collingwood 6 footer :rolleyes: ( about 182 cm), but he towered over me by at least 10 - 12 cm.
He would have to be closer to 194 cm than 189, but as Ford pointed out, the 189 cm may have been his height from his underage footy days.

I agree - like I said there were good signs. But 11 possessions is also an incredibly small sample size, hence my comment on the one practice match.
Also impressed me in the family day game. Lets hope he can take that form into the real stuff as we need a player with his kicking skills. I hope he gets a chance if he continues this form in pre-season.

He's a good size as well.
Ultimately, I'd like our three tall defenders to be Austin, Hombsch and Clurey, Houston could in time develop into a Jonas type medium-tall defender with cleaner skills and a bit more run.

Jonas started the game off against the Saints pretty poorly. He missed two opportunities to spoil Membrey in the first two contests they went to, and later in the game had another poor effort at a similar 1-on-1 marking contest around the 50m arc. Aside from those moments, he was ok, but not the uber-reliable Jonas of 3 years ago.

Ultimately, I'd like our three tall defenders to be Austin, Hombsch and Clurey, Houston could in time develop into a Jonas type medium-tall defender with cleaner skills and a bit more run.

Jonas started the game off against the Saints pretty poorly. He missed two opportunities to spoil Membrey in the first two contests they went to, and later in the game had another poor effort at a similar 1-on-1 marking contest around the 50m arc. Aside from those moments, he was ok, but not the uber-reliable Jonas of 3 years ago.

I actually think TJ played a solid game, always competes hard.

People forget that he had quad issues in 2015 which gave him the turning arc of the titanic and he lost a yard of pace.

In 2016 he had a vastly better season but had a rest for 6 weeks and then did his hamstring at training.

Aside from Pittard, he is the first pick in the back half for me.

The thing I love most about Tex Houston is his composure.

Jonas was caught out of position because the rest of the side was out of position when they turned the ball over in the first. The Saints play three mobile key forwards in the Schulz mold which means they are not only faster than Tom, but stronger as well.

Clean up the skills and Jonas looks much much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back