List Mgmt. Rookie Draft 2016 (Got Eddy Bretts, pillaged SNUFL)

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Ha ha - Elbows just put Stupid back in his box by pointing out that in recent years ex-AFL players returning to the SNAFL have outnumbered those drafted. Can't even say SANFL stands for SA National Feeder League any more - let it now be known as the Bone Yard

9109569864_4712a74b74.jpg

missionpossible

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2004
sheidow park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Ok. Father/sons are slipped into the spot of your last rookie list.
Shaw fair.
Pass now to decide that there is no one out in the community that they want on there list is a slap in the face t ok every young footballer out there and they should be fined for doing that. At worst give someone the life experience of being on a list. The slack shits can't even reward one of their top up players with a rookie spot.

missionpossible

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2004
sheidow park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
After reading the reasons behind Shaw's redrafting, good on the Crows. But I must ask why did they pick him with their first pick and then pass in the second round before finally taking Jarman with their last pick? Is their any logic, other than behind troll campaigners?

Essentially Jarman gets drafted behind a guy who's retired from concussion and someone who doesn't exist.
Post above in reply to this

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Ok. Father/sons are slipped into the spot of your last rookie list.
Shaw fair.
Pass now to decide that there is no one out in the community that they want on there list is a slap in the face t ok every young footballer out there and they should be fined for doing that. At worst give someone the life experience of being on a list. The slack shits can't even reward one of their top up players with a rookie spot.

Surely Sharenberg, Walker or Whimpress could have been picked up?

Surely Sharenberg, Walker or Whimpress could have been picked up?

Scharenberg - just didn't show enough improvement, clubs had seen a lot of him during the last 2-3 years and he was unable to sway them on his lack of physical tools, limited and one dimensional

Walker - an unlucky turn late in the year with some issues involving the navicular injury which derailed his 2015 season as a 17 year old, would have been taken in the National had this not flared up again

Whimpress - has a couple of elite qualities that were ideal for a rookie selection but was railroaded into playing as a loose/rebounding defender for the majority of the year, wasn't exposed to other roles, which lead to questions about his ball-winning ability and genuine football IQ, another victim of SANFL U18 clubs playing for wins and not development

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The crows didn't take a pick in the rookie list because it impacted upon their ability to upgrade a category b rookie. They have two category b rookies going into their second year. Greenwood and Keath. I think at least one of them is likely to be upgraded. If they had gone into the season with 39 + 5 + 2 category b rookies, they would not have been able to upgrade a category b rookie. (apparently greenwood is quite likely) You can't have 40 on your main list and 5 on your category a rookie list.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Scharenberg - just didn't show enough improvement, clubs had seen a lot of him during the last 2-3 years and he was unable to sway them on his lack of physical tools, limited and one dimensional

Walker - an unlucky turn late in the year with some issues involving the navicular injury which derailed his 2015 season as a 17 year old, would have been taken in the National had this not flared up again

Whimpress - has a couple of elite qualities that were ideal for a rookie selection but was railroaded into playing as a loose/rebounding defender for the majority of the year, wasn't exposed to other roles, which lead to questions about his ball-winning ability and genuine football IQ, another victim of SANFL U18 clubs playing for wins and not development

Thanks for this great information. That explains why Walker was not chosen. I didn't understand.

Whimpress was my pin up for a late/rookie selection. I was hoping Port would choose him. Seems to have huge upside for someone with so little training. If he was in an academy he would be in the afl now. :(

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon keep playing on the edge.

They category b rookie listed 24 year old Ben McNiece through the multicultural and indigenous academy rules.

He qualified as his mother was born in India.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-30/hardatit-vfl-defender-joins-dons-as-category-b-rookie

McNiece, who qualified under multicultural academy rules as his mother was born in India

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-30/hardatit-vfl-defender-joins-dons-as-category-b-rookie

McNiece did not appear on the 2016 next generation academy nomination list

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie

AFL is a sham yet again. Essendon exploit it. I wonder what the implications are for the scheme and clubs use of academies?

sideshowbob_steps_on_rake.mp3

missionpossible

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2004
sheidow park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The crows didn't take a pick in the rookie list because it impacted upon their ability to upgrade a category b rookie. They have two category b rookies going into their second year. Greenwood and Keath. I think at least one of them is likely to be upgraded. If they had gone into the season with 39 + 5 + 2 category b rookies, they would not have been able to upgrade a category b rookie. (apparently greenwood is quite likely) You can't have 40 on your main list and 5 on your category a rookie list.

If they are that good then upgrade them.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon keep playing on the edge.

They category b rookie listed 24 year old Ben McNiece through the multicultural and indigenous academy rules.

He qualified as his mother was born in India.

McNiece, who qualified under multicultural academy rules as his mother was born in India

McNiece did not appear on the 2016 next generation academy nomination list

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-05/tigers-eyeing-off-kayle-kirby-as-a-category-b-rookie

AFL is a sham yet again. Essendon exploit it. I wonder what the implications are for the scheme and clubs use of academies?

Surely not serious.

Essendon picked an eligible player who no other club showed interest in. Yes, it's tenous that the rule extends to a players parentage but that's what it is for all of us. I'm not seeing the outrage.

Essendon are getting a huge amount of manufactured media force fed through Fox Footy and AFL.com.au to improve their image.

Hey look at this awesome draft pick we got for "governance failures" guys.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If they are that good then upgrade them.

They have two mature age rookies on their category a list. Beech and Hunter. Two mature age rookies on category B. This way they get to have four players competing for one spot rather than hand it to say Greenwood.

Surely not serious.

Essendon picked an eligible player who no other club showed interest in. Yes, it's tenous that the rule extends to a players parentage but that's what it is for all of us. I'm not seeing the outrage.

No outrage about Essendon. Just loopholes. He wasn't nominated and he didn't meet the intention of the rule. Other clubs will be looking for loopholes which will undermine the intent of the system. Essendon just wanted a backup small defender ready to play. Afl needs better lawyers.

Essendon
Aaron Tatchell (Indigenous), 
Ben Ronke (Multicultural), 
Muhammad Saad (Multicultural), 
Ovie Magbegor (Multicultural)
, Hisham Kerbatieh (Multicultural), 
Ozgur Uysal (Multicultural)

missionpossible or anyone else, do you ever see the possibility that the AFL will step in to manage junior development in SA. Seems the coaching is ok but the talent identification severally lacking. And could in the future we see clubs have a league team, reserves and a TAC / acadamy team attached to all 18 clubs, thus making clubs responsible for junior development not winning and leave the SANFL to manage the second tier of kids? Lastly if nothing changes in the structure of it do you see more players moving to Vic at junior level to gain entry to the TAC- has happened but without much success so far.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure I like the idea of the rookie list going they should get a pay rise however.

With lists extended do recruiters get more dopey with needs/cover selections & development types.. I can just see clubs stuffing up the balance

MALTSY

Club Legend
May 2, 2011
silver sands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Agreed on Scharenberg but I feel the other 2 would have been at least with punts as rookies. You are correct re under 18 clubs..will take external influence to make this happen.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
missionpossible or anyone else, do you ever see the possibility that the AFL will step in to manage junior development in SA. Seems the coaching is ok but the talent identification severally lacking. And could in the future we see clubs have a league team, reserves and a TAC / acadamy team attached to all 18 clubs, thus making clubs responsible for junior development not winning and leave the SANFL to manage the second tier of kids? Lastly if nothing changes in the structure of it do you see more players moving to Vic at junior level to gain entry to the TAC- has happened but without much success so far.
Haven't the AFL being trying to do this for years, AFL-SA, but the SNAFL have strongly resisted, denying young footballers in SA a better chance of development leading to an AFL career in order to keep their snouts firmly in the trough.

Haven't the AFL being trying to do this for years, AFL-SA, but the SNAFL have strongly resisted, denying young footballers in SA a better chance of development leading to an AFL career in order to keep their snouts firmly in the trough.
Indeed assume the AFL playing the long game like they did with AO and our licence. With SANFL clubs going broke and less and less quality players being produced in SA at what point do they need to step in.

See, these are the stories and individuals that should and do touch us emotionally on a deeply-relatable level.

Not curiously-bloated attention-seeking middle-aged men who bring shame on themselves at every opportunity.

View attachment 314679
Hhahaha, curiously bloated!!

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Essendon are getting a huge amount of manufactured media force fed through Fox Footy and AFL.com.au to improve their image.

Hey look at this awesome draft pick we got for "governance failures" guys.

Lol if Norf had pulled this s**t they'd be playing out of Blundstone by now.

missionpossible

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2004
sheidow park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

This is such a big subject. There are so many parts to the argument and dare I say to leave college football out of the discussion is the biggest mistake. SANFL clubs need junior pathways to support the club structure that they have but seem to be oblivious to the fact that they hate being treated like a feeder club but are happy to treat suburban/country football as feeder clubs.

I read somewhere that the SANFL had 17 players drafted and the TAC had 56. Lets assume Victoria has 3 times the population it means we supplied 51 v 56 so there is not as big a gap as there appears.

In brief, no I can not see the SANFL agreeing to a TAC cup type of set up unless it is 100% funded by the AFL and the AFL can sell the clubs on the story that they will receive better developed players as a result. I struggle to see the AFL coming at 100% funding and even if they did I don't know how they sell it to the sanfl clubs without even more financial incentives. So no I don't see this happening.

I will say one thing about the TAC cup is that players get thrown around the ground more so that recruiters can see how they go in different positions. I would suggest there is no way an AFL club could go to a SANFL club and ask them to play sam xxxx in a back pocket instead of in the middle just so they can see how they go.

Back