Game Day Rookie Draft 2019: 9:30am SA time Friday 29 November: Burgoyne (Woodcock/Grundy) and 1 other (or DFA?).

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LOL

1574986502821.png

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
192 is not undersize.

Beside there is no reason to think he might not grow a couple more cm.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
192 is absolutely undersized in isolation. 195+ is the benchmark for genuine talls these days, particularly with the amount of 200+ cm KPFs and KPDs starting to get around.

Having one or two is ok (i.e. Clurey and Jonas go alright) but I still think we are sorely lacking a genuine tall defender.

192 is absolutely undersized in isolation. 195+ is the benchmark for genuine talls these days, particularly with the amount of 200+ cm KPFs and KPDs starting to get around.

Having one or two is ok (i.e. Clurey and Jonas go alright) but I still think we are sorely lacking a genuine tall defender.

Gee, if only we could find a genuine tall defender somewhere. How could the club have possibly had one of them on the list this year?

FutureShock

Team Captain
May 13, 2019
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Pretty much everyone agrees on this, except Cripps and co. I don't know much about Hilder but he seems to have a bit going for him - how he's not worth a spot just baffles me.

What does that even mean? Has he been hidden away in some backwaters?

He played for Brisbane the last 4 years. Its just the amateur afl site

Says who? Richmond has been the best team in the competition for the past three years and they have the following key defenders:

Alex Rance 194 cm, Dylan Grimes 193 cm, Nathan Broad 192 cm

Defending is about positioning first and foremost - intercepting the ball before your opponent can get there - and physics second - getting underneath your opponents centre of gravity to bump them at the right moment to get them off their line and take the mark instead.

As long as Pasini develops the strength to shift 100 kg with a bump to the side (and not a full blown shove), he'll better than fine. Our Jonas replacement.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Says who? Richmond has been the best team in the competition for the past three years and they have the following key defenders:

Alex Rance 194 cm, Dylan Grimes 193 cm, Nathan Broad 192 cm

Defending is about positioning first and foremost - intercepting the ball before your opponent can get there - and physics second - getting underneath your opponents centre of gravity to bump them at the right moment to get them off their line and take the mark instead.

As long as Pasini develops the strength to shift 100 kg with a bump to the side (and not a full blown shove), he'll better than fine. Our Jonas replacement.
((( conveniently leaves out 195 cm David Astbury )))

Missed David Astbury, he's 195cm

Astbury is Richmond's full back and best one on one defender.

If we're losing games because we don't have a defender that isn't 195 cm or more and getting out marked all the time, there's a bigger problem than height.

At any rate, we'll get Borlase who is 195cm after he's done his two years with Adelaide for a fourth round pick. What goes around comes around.

Last edited:

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Astbury is Richmond's full back and best one on one defender.

If we're losing games because we don't have a defender that isn't 195 cm or more and getting out marked all the time, there's a bigger problem than height.

At any rate, we'll get Borlase who is 195cm after he's done his two years with Adelaide for a fourth round pick. What goes around comes around.
My point wasn't that anybody sub 195 is useless, but that having that 195+ cm KPD can be worth their weight in gold when things aren't going right up field.

Back