List Mgmt. Rookie Draft Monday 28 Nov @ 4pm (We can take up to 4 rookies)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've missed my point - it's not the fact that every other club overlooked him, it's about the fact that if we had him it could potentially assist in retaining Matt.

It's a moot point, because I suppose we could've listed him and he might've been delisted in two years anyway, but it's just a consideration and interesting from a cost/benefit point of view.

Fair point. I would have liked the brothers at the same club as well and he seemed like a really good midfielder worth developing.

Also bewildered at no Jonty - do we see this maybe influencing Matt at the end of the year?
Yep, Matt is now quite likely to quit the AFL to play backyard footy with Jonty for Skittles.

Anyone watch the rookie draft review video on the club site? Caff was sitting in on the draft. Might be looking in to going in to recruitment rather than coaching post career?
Caff was the tour guide of all the new boys today. They followed him around everywhere. Maybe player development/welfare.

Really liked the rookie strategy by going for height, was a bit concerned seeing we initially only got McLartey on the back of so many off-season list changes.

Got a bit excited seeing Mitch McCartney's highlights reel from this year. Great vertical leap and tap to advantage skills, strong overhead and has a bit of toe for someone at 195cm.

Max Lynch looks like a beast at 200cm, was a GWS access player and was No.1 ruckman for NSW/ACT in the under-18 national championships.

Henry Schade for me is also a good get seeing at only 23y.o. he has the experience, size and ability to play KPD.

Never heard of Liam Mackie before but he seems like a talented kid who is still quite raw.

Caff was the tour guide of all the new boys today. They followed him around everywhere. Maybe player development/welfare.
He's the current welfare manager. I just found it interesting that he was in the room during the rookie draft. He may be interested in making a career in recruiting moving forward.

He's the current welfare manager. I just found it interesting that he was in the room during the rookie draft. He may be interested in making a career in recruiting moving forward.
Yeah could well be. Maybe interested to know who he might be looking after in the next couple of days.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but one player (with a Collingwood connection) who missed out today was Jye Bolton, who won the Sandover Medal this year. I'm sure he'd be quite disappointed, especially as he's had a bit of publicity of late. At least Brett Eddy finally got picked up, hopefully he does okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess as a long time lurker I had to start somewhere. Whilst my posts may get more detailed, they may never be as insightful and balanced as that first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought you were sitting on the fence with your first post.
I couldn't tell which way you were leaning.

Did collingwood break the hight record for tallest rookie draft ever?
That was when they got Mason Cox and whoever else, still av the tallest ;)

I guess as a long time lurker I had to start somewhere. Whilst my posts may get more detailed, they may never be as insightful and balanced as that first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of deleting it.:D

Overview and Rendell's brief response:

Who they drafted:
Mitch McCarthy
(Dandenong Stingrays),
Henry Schade (Gold Coast),
Liam Mackie (Glenelg),
Max Lynch (Murray Bushrangers)

Summary:
Mitch McCarthy
turned down US basketball scholarships last year to return to Australia and pursue his dream and he arrives at Collingwood as a freakishly athletic forward/ruckman. His season ended with a foot stress fracture, but the Magpies have conducted medical assessments and he has started running again.
Henry Schade joins the club after 21 games with Gold Coast, where he was down the pecking order in defence. The Magpies can see improvement in the 23-year-old, and opportunities for him to play in 2017.
Rangy defender Liam Mackie is the cousin of Geelong premiership defender Andrew Mackie and a very similar player who starred at school level this year.
Max Lynch, a strong-bodied ruckman who can also cover the ground, was a GWS access player and the No.1 ruckman with NSW/ACT in the under-18 championships.

What the club says:
"We were looking for a forward/ruck type, which is where McCarthy came in, and a defender as well after we lost a lot of key defenders in the off-season. Henry Schade was available (to fill that need) and always in our sights. From there we basically took the next best players on our list in Mackie and Lynch."
- senior recruiter Matt Rendell

Former basketballer Mitch McCarthy has great athleticism. Picture: AFL Photos
mitch%20mccarthy%20coll%20620.JPG

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-28/who-did-your-club-pick-at-the-afl-rookie-draft

Sounds promising

McCarthy the White replacement in time
Schade Dunn McLarty Keeffe replace Brown Frost Marsh ...interesting to see our round one line up (and how that compares to round 22)
Mackie a creative half back. Initially the straight replacement on the list for Marley
Lynch the backup with hopefully some upside, fills the gap created by Witts at a fraction of the price. Big shoes to fill though if Grundy goes down...
Kirby genuine X factor and hardness, small forward we need
Daicos and Brown....the father sons.

edit....plus Josh Thomas who everybody has written off.....potentially lots of upside there too.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back