Rookie Draft pick #26 - Alex Howson

Remove this Banner Ad

good there freo and recruitment team (bond and lloyd) happy that we have begun to reccruit for needs. If even just one of these rookie KPF's come good it will be massive for our club. howson had a very impressive colts season as a key forward, thats exactly what we need

Hear hear. Hopefully the odds are with us now and at least one of these three talls turns out into a 150+ game player for us. Heaven knows we need one. Or two...

Taberner and Howson are both pretty quick across the deck, Howson burnt alot of guys running back to goal in the colts.

Cool, yeah I just looked at his pic on the club site and he certainly doesn't look like the fat one.

A fast 196cm key forward who kicked 57 goals for the colts last year - at face value he looks like a steal.

You've seen him play I take it sandygroper? How bad is his kicking when they say 'needs some work'?

Not sure I can recall anyone who couldn't kick nail 57 in a season. Although - showing my age here - Peter Hudson wouldn't even get drafted these days.

Field kicking is probably ok, that said he pokes at his kicks which slows the flight down, not the best at the stab pass.

Set shot he can lean back on his kicking, which isn't an issue when you are taking your shots from 20 metres out, where he kicked most of his goals from, but when he extends for distance his mechanics can fall away.

As Lloyd stated though, can thump the ball, just needs to stick to a routine and remember his shape when kicking.

He barely does any field kicking in Colts though did look ok down back for WA and actually think thats where he will end up as he can lead and kick but does very little else around the ground in terms of pressure or being involved in the play and hope he doesn't turn out to be a Jack Anthony type. I think they will try and groom him for a position down back as he is very skinny also and doesn't know how to use his body that well in the 1 on 1 contest.

I lose track - is Howson the fat one everyone was talking about at training?
Alex is tall slim and will be soon be rivalling Matt de Boer for title of the best looking freo player. more importantly he and his family have been massive freo fans since alex started at auskick; he'll play his heart out for the team

Alex is tall slim and will be soon be rivalling Matt de Boer for title of the best looking freo player. more importantly he and his family have been massive freo fans since alex started at auskick; he'll play his heart out for the team

Surely Lachie "Harry" Neale and Nat "The Knife" Fyfe are above DeBoer and Howson

Natural forward, played out of position in defense during the national carnival. Play him up forward, improve his body size and we'll see him flourish at AFL level.

Yep Alex will be busting his gut to learn (especially from the great man Pav) and train as hard as he can to firstly get on the main list. Former Booragoon Bulldog junior who loves the team and apparently used to pester Shaun McManus for a kick to kick - remind anyone of that add with Shauny Mac a few years go where Shaun is playing kick to kick with some kids on a front lawn and he kicks the ball into the window?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it means squat in these days of the professional athlete but selecting a player that is a fan of your club always gets a big tick from me. He is here for the long haul.
same. so i hope he has what it takes. while it's great to recruit a kid who barracks for the club, it makes it a bit harder having to cut him if he's no good.

Yep Alex will be busting his gut to learn (especially from the great man Pav) and train as hard as he can to firstly get on the main list. Former Booragoon Bulldog auskicker who loves the team and apparently used to pester Shaun McManus for a kick to kick - remind anyone of that add with Shauny Mac a few years go where Shaun is playing kick to kick with some kids on a front lawn and he kicks the ball into the window?
a little nitpicking i know but Alex's auskick ie up to @ age 10 was actually at Melville Hawks beforere he moved to Karoonda - which raises an interesting point in regard to when players junior club gets a "reward" (not sure of the technical term)
but they get something don't they for successful transtion if a player makes it to AFL? if thats the case does it get shared by Booragoon and Melville or does Booragoon get it all cos thatwas the club he was at when he got rookied?

as another point of interest what kind of base salary does a rookie get paid ?

Yep Alex will be busting his gut to learn (especially from the great man Pav) and train as hard as he can to firstly get on the main list. Former Booragoon Bulldog auskicker who loves the team and apparently used to pester Shaun McManus for a kick to kick - remind anyone of that add with Shauny Mac a few years go where Shaun is playing kick to kick with some kids on a front lawn and he kicks the ball into the window?

Karoonda you mean?

a little nitpicking i know but Alex's auskick ie up to @ age 10 was actually at Melville Hawks beforere he moved to Karoonda - which raises an interesting point in regard to when players junior club gets a "reward" (not sure of the technical term)
but they get something don't they for successful transtion if a player makes it to AFL? if thats the case does it get shared by Booragoon and Melville or does Booragoon get it all cos thatwas the club he was at when he got rookied?

May I ask you a question re Auskick, seeing as you know him well.

Did he really stand out as a junior even at that young age? I ask because I recall stories of Stephen Hill tearing it up at Auskick running rings around everyone. I watch my nephews play Auskick and half the kids don't even know how to hold a footy. Half are average at best whereas only maybe 1 or 2 seem to have "talent".

So can you tell if someone has a chance to make it even at that young age? Cheers.

Did he really stand out as a junior even at that young age? I ask because I recall stories of Stephen Hill tearing it up at Auskick running rings around everyone. I watch my nephews play Auskick and half the kids don't even know how to hold a footy. Half are average at best whereas only maybe 1 or 2 seem to have "talent".

So can you tell if someone has a chance to make it even at that young age? Cheers.

Played from like u/10's to u/12's with Ian Richardson... he was absolutely dominant even at that age. It was amazing how much better he was than the other players on our team, and he's not even an AFL player, although if he was 5cm taller he might be. Just an example off the top of my head.

Agree with all the sentiments re: picking a fan. To answer your question Banana, no-one was too concerned when Doddy eventually got the chop. Big Freo fan by all reports.

yes echoing stormees reply - i only used to watch alex at footy from age 6-10 but yes even at age 6 or 7 you could see he had talent others didn't - having said that he also had talent for other sports ie a natually "sporty" chchild ie he was in a special tennis progtam for talented kids at high school ; but even though he was good at other sports his passion was footy - so he may have trieda lot harder at that than other sports.

so yes althoght natural sporting "genes" help hard work & practice also plays a big part

Agree with all the sentiments re: picking a fan. To answer your question Banana, no-one was too concerned when Doddy eventually got the chop. Big Freo fan by all reports.
i guess i'm thinking of griffin and all these sparkling new rucks we've got. anyhoo, not really something to worry about too much for now.

Yeh your right so I corrected my post, realised after he would of had to have started at Melville if he was across the road from Shauny Mac. Up until the age of 8 kids can just move clubs, my son also went from Melville to Booragoon at 7 and Shauny Mac was down at Melville then helping out. After age 8 the junior clubs need permission to transfer from the other club, which normally clubs in the same zone (i.e. East Freo) are going to be pretty good about. Not sure what $ reward if any the junior club gets or if it just East Fremantle that does and then some of this flows back into the junior clubs in the zone. Have to ask someone at the club when the season gets going again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back