Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
mAoyEy1.jpg

Any info on Tobin?

Really should've read all the times for these drafts, today's main and now the rookie I had no idea about.

Tobin Cox is an absolute hero from Naracoorte - travelled to and from the country every weekend to pursue his footy. I have nothing but big props for him, a hard worker and a classic country kid. I'll be down to Alberton to see him for sure. Onya Tobin!

Tobin Cox - starred for SA at the U16s Championships in 2015 primarily as a crumbing small. Played some good bottom age U18s football in the SANFL in 2016 but a shoulder injury early in 2017, wiped his draft year. Put on some genuine size and came back a little heavy for my liking and really struggled to run out games early this year. Played some solid football in the Reserves for Glenelg and stole some League games where he performed admirably. For his size, Tobin is an elite overhead mark and solid kick of the football. Has range with his set shots and was pretty consistent with his scoreboard impact. Didn't have the speed and agility that we saw back as a 16 year old due to extra muscle bulk but if he gets in an elite environment and strikes a better balance with his physique, this could return. Can play midfield, either inside or a wing but I think his greatest strengths are as a small forward.

So I just went through Tobin Cox's entire year in the Sanfl. Some stats/figures:

Games played:
Seniors: 2
Reserves: 13

Total goals (across seniors and reserves): 23 goals, 12 behinds.

Averages per game:
Disposals: 14.6
Kicks: 8.9
Handballs: 5.7
Marks: 2.7
Tackles: 3.9
Goals: 1.5
Behinds: 0.8

Best performance was 22 disposals (15k,7h), 5 marks, 5 tackles and 6 goals 1 behind. But that was in round 15 against us at Sanfl reserves level, so I'm putting an asterisk against that performance.

In his two games at senior level, he didn't get more than 8 disposals and a goal. Only 1 mark and 1 tackle between those two games too.

Someone mentioned above that he's carrying a bit too much weight at the moment, and used to have more speed and agility. Maybe the club sees something in Tobin if he can lose some weight and regain some speed and agility. Otherwise, I'm not sure why we made this pick. I'll reserve judgement for now.

POS: Midfielder
Ht 177cm, Wt 77kg, DOB 15/7/99
From Glenelg

Cox was recruited from Glenelg and Parker says he will add value as a creative small forward.

“Tobin was a highly rated 16 and 17-year-old but missed most of last year after injuring his shoulder,” said Parker.

“He’s a very clever, creative small forward who has played some league footy for Glenelg in the SANFL this year. He also represented South Australia in the Under 18 National Championships against Western Australia but was injured and missed the remainder of the championships.”

Did some more digging on this kid.

Played 13 reserves games for Glenelg and kicked 22 goals, including 6 against our Academy and 4 against Centrals reserves.

Came 12th in the Reserves Ken Farmer. Then played 2 SANFL games for 1 goal.

Last edited:
Did some more digging on this kid.

Played 14 reserves games for Glenelg and kicked 22 goals, including 6 against our Academy and 4 against Centrals reserves.

Came 12th in the Reserves Ken Farmer. Then played 2 SANFL games for 1 goal.
I had a look at stats from all his games this year and posted the following in the rookie picks thread:

So I just went through Tobin Cox's entire year in the Sanfl. Some stats/figures:

Games played:
Seniors: 2
Reserves: 13

Total goals (across seniors and reserves): 23 goals, 12 behinds.

Averages per game:
Disposals: 14.6
Kicks: 8.9
Handballs: 5.7
Marks: 2.7
Tackles: 3.9
Goals: 1.5
Behinds: 0.8

Best performance was 22 disposals (15k,7h), 5 marks, 5 tackles and 6 goals 1 behind. But that was in round 15 against us at Sanfl reserves level, so I'm putting an asterisk against that performance.

In his two games at senior level, he didn't get more than 8 disposals and a goal. Only 1 mark and 1 tackle between those two games too.

Someone mentioned above that he's carrying a bit too much weight at the moment, and used to have more speed and agility. Maybe the club sees something in Tobin if he can lose some weight and regain some speed and agility. Otherwise, I'm not sure why we made this pick. I'll reserve judgement for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a look at stats from all his games this year and posted the following in the rookie picks thread:
Yep your stats are correct. For some reason the sportstg website counted a bye week as a reserves game he played.

Another tough nut from the south east. We brought a couple of tough country kids into the mix this year.

Know zero about him but do like that we added another small forward option. We struggled late in the year for a quick close to goal ground level goalsneak.

We have some development players in that area now.

Tobin was destined to play AFL from a young age, he had dropped off in recent years but I'm stoked he's in the league. He's a Port supporter too. He's from Naracoorte and played his early footy for Naracoorte then later for Padthaway, I think it was just because his older sister played netball there.

Made his A-Grade debut in 2014 at 14 and played a couple more games that season. He mostly played A Grade in 2015 rather than U17s, and lucky for him Padthaway were investing in some top talent including Scott Welsh and Justin Cicolella. Tobin kicked 5 goals in the Prelim and starred in the Grand Final kicking 7 as a 15 year old. http://maps.sportingpulse.com/round...124367364&client=1-3798-48992-304851-20645411

He then went up to Adelaide and got a scholarship at Henley (I assume). It's interesting that they are listing him as a midfielder as goal kicking has always been his strong point.

I asked for a young indigenous boy for the rookie draft got my wish good luck tobin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back