Rookie Draft & PSD prospects

as far as I'm aware, Cameron was the only player drafted from a non-football state which is not great in terms of development paths in Qld, NSW/ACT and NT. In fact, if it weren't for the stellar year for the Tassie boys, Div 2 would be virtually unrepresented in this year's draft. Something similar happened last year too, IIRC.

Minor caveat: three NT boys were prelisted, same as Cameron was.

footymaad

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Morningside Panthers
Recruiting / judging players at under 18's is clearly a bit of a dark art when it comes to the lower level picks, particularly when looking at players from the non football states.

In terms of assessing this years 18's as poor - it's clearly a different thing comparing potential for being a draftee vrs the Qld teams performance. This group did well 2 years ago at 16's carnival in Div 2, and this year at 18 did better than the team had done for sereval yrs - beat NT, NSW/ACT and WA and only narrowly lost to Tas due to poor kicking for goal. Touched up by Vic Country.

Interestingly someone with a longstanding involvement at 18's said that after the Qld team beat WA this year it was the first time in many yrs that many AFL people from southern states actually spoke to him - clearly indicating to him that they had never rated the Div 2 comp at all.

So either Div 2 overall was poor, or a group of average players were well coached and played a team game, or they were a bit underrated. Clearly recruiters felt it one of the first 2...

Interestingly several WA boys drafted who were clearly beaten by their Qld opponent on that day. But presumanly just put down to bad day for WA / that they weren't actually taking it seriously till Div 1 games?

If u exclude the Tas boys, the remainder of the Div 2 boys drafted are interesting. Clay clearly has potential but didn't have a great year this year, was OK but not great last year, and missed 16's with OP. So clearly listed for potential - being in the AIS no doubt helped his exposure. And of the NT boys, a couple play in Vic and Anderson had a year at GWS. So maybe having extra exposure to southern recruiters important, rather than just under 18 and maybe NEAFL performance?

Does mean that if nothing changes in next couple of years Lions could get Academy picks at a bit of a bargin?

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Qld beating WA and NT beating Metro this year I think forced the recruiters to pay a bit more attention than usual.

Personally I was not high on the Qld prospects this year. The reason being I thought the guys who drove the Qld win over WA were mostly the bottom agers. Conway was the best inside mid on the park and Tickner the best forward. Gribble I also thought was not too bad. When the going got tough these guys plus Wyld, Johnson, Wardle and Wolbers were the ones to step up and those top aged players did not reallly tick a lot of the "draft me" boxes.

Next year with all the young Qlders on elite programs and with access to high level coaching for a couple of years they should be a very difficult team to handle. I will be disappointed if we did not beat at least one Div 1 team again and it would not surprise me if we beat both we faced. We have some really good talent in next year's group and they could come out and really dust up some of the big boys.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
My mate also said that 2012 is the last year where the standard of Qld players is poor. He is confident that 2013 is a better year and reckons the year after will be even better. Great news for us and the Gold Coast.

From what I have seen next year virtually all the draftable blokes are our guys which is handy. The following year most would be GC players although I note 2 of the 3 AIS players from the bottom aged group are Brisbane academy players. Hopefully one or two more will come through from that group.

footymaad

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Morningside Panthers
Qld beating WA and NT beating Metro this year I think forced the recruiters to pay a bit more attention than usual.

Personally I was not high on the Qld prospects this year. The reason being I thought the guys who drove the Qld win over WA were mostly the bottom agers. Conway was the best inside mid on the park and Tickner the best forward. Gribble I also thought was not too bad. When the going got tough these guys plus Wyld, Johnson, Wardle and Wolbers were the ones to step up and those top aged players did not reallly tick a lot of the "draft me" boxes.

Next year with all the young Qlders on elite programs and with access to high level coaching for a couple of years they should be a very difficult team to handle. I will be disappointed if we did not beat at least one Div 1 team again and it would not surprise me if we beat both we faced. We have some really good talent in next year's group and they could come out and really dust up some of the big boys.

Would agree with that assessment. I guess what I was trying to say was that this years team were even and played well together as a team, following coaching plans well, and because of this got reasonable results. However few "stars" with that bit extra to warrant drafting. So not that standard of players was poor in one way - reasonable players who performed to their potential and hopefully some will make solid NEAFL players. Just no real standouts with the extra attributes to warrant drafting from Div 2.

I guess the question is always with boys from Qld and NSW who are realistically behind in development compared to players in other states, would some step up if exposed to a higher standard for a longer period? Guess this year the recruiters answer was no.

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disappointing that we have lost Retzy forever it seems... not often the ressies premiers leader gets delisted and remains unrookied.
Having said that Paparone looks a likely type so not completely devastated.

Bit sad really, but I still have hope that if Retzy can overcome his injury and put in some good NEAFL games in 2013 he could do a Lazarus.

I also can't help feeling that the Lions might pick up a backup first ruck in the rookie draft. I only class Leuenberger and Longer in that role - the rest are really all second ruck/tall forward or defender types.

Wood, anyone?

(not really serious, but there are a few similars around).

I'm throwing Josh Smith's name out there. I rate him and if he was given a chance would most certainly grab it with both hands and make it count.
I rate him too, but I don't think any AFL team can compete with NBA salaries... even Adelaide couldn't siphon the money off to match what Atlanta are paying him...

OK, so i may not know who you're talking about... Still, a good 6'9" power forward works in AFL too...

I also can't help feeling that the Lions might pick up a backup first ruck in the rookie draft. I only class Leuenberger and Longer in that role - the rest are really all second ruck/tall forward or defender types.

Martin played a fair bit of 2011 as the first string ruck. Some Melbourne supporters argue that he plays his best footy as a ruckman.

I think he's capable of holding down the role if Leuenberger isn't available. He'd be the back up plan, I suspect.

Offsider

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Gold Coast
I agree, personally I would not be surprised if the club doesn't pick up a ruck in the rookie draft, especially as they are all pretty average this year. The major prospects seem to be (in order of how I would take them

1. Darcy Fort - Late developer, plays similar to Ben McEvoy in that he is a strong mark and competes well. Not overly athletic, but not really a poor athlete either, still quite agile, skills need work, can find the ball ok but not great. Shows promise and if we needed a ruck i would pick him up. Probably back up ruckman only.

2. Jack Hannath - A solid back up ruckman, does everything well but nothing great imo. Seems to be reasonably mobile gets round the ground well, skills solid, tap work seems to be decent, not a standout but not a poor prospect. Could be a good backup ruckman, ie not best 22.

3. Sam Gilmore - Decent developing ruckman, shows decent tap ability, late developer from basketball, has had decent form this year at TAC cup level as a 19 year old. Skills need work, and round the ground ability has a long way to go. Marking inconsistent, can take a good grab but drops them too. Could be a good developing ruckman to have on the list, athletically seems to be solid only though.

4. Cameron Symonds - Mature aged ruck from the wafl, 20 I think, tall at 205cm, aggressive physical type, unsure if he is athletic enough for afl, solid tap ruckman who can take a good mark. Massive issues over whether he can make it to the AFL for mine.

5. Myles Bolger - Overlooked last year has had a pretty average year playing only 6 WAFL reserves games, injury riddled player yet has potential. Needs longer to develop in the WAFL imo, could really surprise and has a fair bit of upside.

The rucks in the rookie draft all are quite likely to be busts and have limited ceilings imo. Yet there could be a good back up ruckman, and it is hard to predict how ruckman will turn out. I personally would look at Darcy Fort as he has a bit more potential than the others imo.

I think we are ok for ruck depth. We have Bergs along with Martin who will probably be the first choice, with the likes of Lisle and Merrett to pinch hit if one goes down with an injury. Longer may well get a few more games this year as well. Although, our reserves might need a ruckman...

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
i wouldnt get hung up on the qld thing ! go for the best available australia wide i say,

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
I wouldnt mind Ryan Morrison. He could allow Lester to get more forward and midfield time.

A project ruckman would be OK. Someone who is athletically gifted or is a bit underweight.
Agree, whilst i don't think it's a pressing need to the point that we will look for one, if there is someone there that catches our eye we might bite. We seem to be very confident with our own opinions and ratings of players, we certainly won't just grab whoever is available. If there are no ruck prospects we are interested in, we wont' take anyone.

We've done pretty well from the rookie draft recently, certainly worth keeping an eye on who we take.

Bert Man

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
PSG, ARSENAL
Mitch Brewer? For a tall forward and Kane Mitchell for the inside mid?

Back