Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

So much talent left for the rookie draft. Lots of South Australians including 3 u18 All Australians - Walker, Scharenberg and Villis. I understand why Villis didn't get drafted but a bit harsh on the other two. Seems a bit crazy that Sproule is available also.

Lots of rucks and given Sandi and Griff are at the final parts of their careers maybe we'll take another? Olango, Marshall, McInerney, Goddard, Ladhams, Sweet, Lynch, Parella... and list keeps going.

Other talent I like that I thought might go in the ND - Matt Guelfi, Liam Baker, Bailey Morrish, Kym Le Bois, Taylin Duman, Jamie Hampton, Liam Ryan, Cameron Zurhaar, Noah Hura.

So who is the preference for pick #3?

Ryan,Olango. With our lack of mid picks in the ND will we keep Deluca . Will Grey stay. Looking forward to Monday , should be really interesting with our early pick.

Yeah Deluca looks in ripping condition at training. with you on Olongo he could be good after a few years on the rookie draft.

Some good players still not drafted

Is there a risk of Deluca or Grey being poached? Can we afford to wait until our 3rd and 4th picks? I'm assuming there's a handshake agreement not to steal each other's players, since we picked Morabito and Deluca after Uebergang and Nyhuis last season.

We clearly need another developing small forward. Would love Liam Ryan but also maybe LeBois.

After that another developing ruck but a very mobile one, and two mid types one of whom should be Deluca. Greys card probably marked as soon as we got Luke Ryan as that small defender a back up to Spurr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much talent left for the rookie draft. Lots of South Australians including 3 u18 All Australians - Walker, Scharenberg and Villis. I understand why Villis didn't get drafted but a bit harsh on the other two. Seems a bit crazy that Sproule is available also.

Lots of rucks and given Sandi and Griff are at the final parts of their careers maybe we'll take another? Olango, Marshall, McInerney, Goddard, Ladhams, Sweet, Lynch, Parella... and list keeps going.

Other talent I like that I thought might go in the ND - Matt Guelfi, Liam Baker, Bailey Morrish, Kym Le Bois, Taylin Duman, Jamie Hampton, Liam Ryan, Cameron Zurhaar, Noah Hura.

So who is the preference for pick #3?
Any inside mids available that you know of?

On what I saw last year in the WAFL I would really, really like Freo to pick Liam Ryan. The kid looks to have some special skills and blistering pace. No tank at the moment but hey, what are coaches for?

Any inside mids available that you know of?
Yeah there are quite a few. Scharenberg and Guelfi are probably the best left of the 18 year olds imo. They'd have to be early picks in the rookie draft. There are some mature age options as well. If we are going to rookie Deluca and/or Grey I'll be interested to see if we go another inside mid. I'd probably prefer a project kpf/ruck (eg Sproule/Olango), a small forward (eg Liam Ryan) and another running half back (eg Walker/Morrish/Hampton/Pickett). No doubt we'll do something completely different to that though.

Brayshaw, Guelfi, DeBois, Henry, Bolton, Noonan, Hanrahan, Morrish and Junker are my top picks

Reckon we'll take Bolton for sure

Last edited:
Is there a risk of Deluca or Grey being poached? Can we afford to wait until our 3rd and 4th picks? I'm assuming there's a handshake agreement not to steal each other's players, since we picked Morabito and Deluca after Uebergang and Nyhuis last season.

I wouldn't trust them to keep their word due to any sort of integrity on their part.

If they thought they could do it and end up with a good player who wanted to be at their club then they would do the dirty for sure.

Look at the conduct of officials over the last 20 years...

Re-drafting Grey or DeLuca would be a waste in my opinion. Absolute best case they remain depth options, better off developing someone new and hoping they become a player.

I like how deLuca has started preseason training. I watched his running furing drills and he's super fit and determined. Having said that the rookie draft is perfect for taking chances.

Re-drafting Grey or DeLuca would be a waste in my opinion. Absolute best case they remain depth options, better off developing someone new and hoping they become a player.

I agree. I just can't see the point in delisting Deluca if all you're going to do is put him back on the list. Grey I can understand because it's a demotion.

I think both have been cast aside due to the clubs focus on foot skills.

Who's available in the rookie draft with better foot skills than Grey and Deluca Chris?

What has happened to the kid called Stradanica, he seems to have dropped off the radar. Last year we were reported to be very interested in him?

I think de Luca deserves another chance. Got hit by injuries in his first year and probably didn't rise to the demands of being a professional, but then came back to be a part of another WAFL premiership. He looked the goods towards the end of the year. Also showed that he can hit the ground running in the 3km on Wednesday. If they weren't going to give him a chance, they wouldn't have said that there is a chance for him to be relisted. And the boys got around him as he was finishing the time trial (in seventh place).

Other options for rookie are Bailey Banfield from Broome, Olango for the long term, or Scharenburg who seems too good to not get a berth on the senior list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back