Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Main upshot of the two drafts is the club is investing a lot of faith in Brad Hill, as well as Tucker, Langdon, Weller etc to hang around and take the next step. Taking no midfielder is pretty ballsy.

Main upshot of the two drafts is the club is investing a lot of faith in Brad Hill, as well as Tucker, Langdon, Weller etc to hang around and take the next step. Taking no midfielder is pretty ballsy.

I've quite liked DeLuca as a mid. He's come on nicely

Weird to see all of De Boer, Mzungu, Alex Silvagni and Mickey Barlow gone cheaply. Clearly got lots more to offer. So only Hannath, Clancee Pearce and Tanner Smith didn't get picked up by other clubs. Morabito wasn't going to get favoured due to his injuries

We must have a plan to go all mids next year
Going all out for mids in an apparent KPF rich draft isn't that bad an idea. Even if we have pick 6-14 we could realistically get the second or third best pure mid in the draft.

Unless the strategy is to develop big midfielders. That would be ballsy.

What happens with Francis Watson now? I read somewhere that the AFL announced Cat B rookies for International players etc, but not the ones from their new zones

Well I was way wrong with the rookie draft. No inside mid and no small forward like Ryan or Lebois. Instead we get another skinny HBF, a tall and re-draft Grey who I didn't think we would.

I think its more a case of best available once again. Most years the odds are that you will end up with mostly midfielders every now and then a draft comes along where the talls fall your way.

Also bear in mind that Logue, Duman and Deluca could all be classed as mids in the long term

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding Brady we had a chat this morning and he said his ankle was improving and himself and Kersten would be training after the main session. Sort of a nod and a wink he would be staying . Really pleased for him because he really didn't want to leave. Brady is one of the really good guys at the club.

Duman will play mid eventually.

Thought there was many better players left available than Strnadica. I think it was just a real "throw at the stumps" type pick. Unlikely to come off but no real risk either and someone said he's a cracking bloke that supports Freo.

I told you guys Ryan wouldn't be picked up. Doesn't matter how good your natural ability is. If you can't run you don't play AFL football these days.

Clubs will tell him to go back and work on his fitness. There's a reason almost everyone else thought he'd go. It's not over for him by any stretch.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the tall thing makes sense. we have such a queue of mid sized players, trying to fit Tucker, Weller, Langdon, Blakely, Sheridan, Crozier, Sutty, Balic, Brad Hill along with whats left of the old guard. Might as well have a queue for the bigger blokes as well. Its a lot more balanced now with some real competition on all lines.

I told you guys Ryan wouldn't be picked up. Doesn't matter how good your natural ability is. If you can't run you don't play AFL football these days.

Clubs will tell him to go back and work on his fitness. There's a reason almost everyone else thought he'd go. It's not over for him by any stretch.

Seems like that if you can't run or kick you won't be drafted.

For me, Liam Ryan was a 2-3 year project. First year get this condition for WAFL level, and second year up to a basic AFL level and three year up to a Dockers level.

For me, Liam Ryan was a 2-3 year project. First year get this condition for WAFL level, and second year up to a basic AFL level and three year up to a Dockers level.
That's a heavy investment for someone who isn't guaranteed to do much anyway

We could have taken Ryan at pick 50 in the rookie draft though, next year he may run a 14 beep and we would have to use a pick in the 30s or 40s in the national draft, its all about risk and reward for me, pick 50 in the rookie draft is little risk and high reward

I don't disagree but I think clubs want you to do the first part from when you're about 17 these days. A beep test of 10.1 isn't just woeful in terms of his fitness, it's so bad it starts to bring in other questions like whether he really wants an AFL career or not.

People will make excuses for him but the gap between where he is and where needs to be is the same no matter what the reason is. I don't think people actually realise how bad 10.1 is. When I was at high school it wasn't even elite amongst a bunch of kids with no intentions/realistic chance of playing even semi-professional sport.

Wow. the mob from Sydney's armpit are a bunch of disrespectful campaigners.

Instead of a nice polite "Welcome" thread for MdB and Mz, it's all BD about how cr@p they both are.

Matty and Tendai you're too good for those ferals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back