Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

gee we have had an amazing trade and draft....lot of potential that will hopefully be realised. Summary - Hamling, Kirsten, Hill in trade the draft Logue, Darcy, Cox and Ryan then Duman, Strnadica, Gray and Deluca. Duman a great pick as a rookie. Straight-dic should be okay too. Gray and Deluca have got better so deserve their chance to continue. Mayne Mzungu Deboer and Barlow out with probably no more than a 100-120 games to offer between them in the next two years. Always hard losing them but they have a chance now in the twilight period. .....SUPERB EFFORT BY OUR RECRUITERS IMO

Weird to see all of De Boer, Mzungu, Alex Silvagni and Mickey Barlow gone cheaply. Clearly got lots more to offer. So only Hannath, Clancee Pearce and Tanner Smith didn't get picked up by other clubs. Morabito wasn't going to get favoured due to his injuries

About what you'd expect I reckon. Mzungu a bit of surprise I suppose given his age.

On the other hand, Barlow is a no brainer - played in the right position, and assuming the shoulder is going to come good, at worst he'll be a solid contributor to most teams.

Silvagni is quality for a rookie pick. His attitude it top shelf and he's proven time and time again he can do a job. It's just injuries that have been (and may still be) the issue. Quality depth for any team in the league IMHO, and in the Blue's case may even find a regular spot in their 22 (if healthy).

DeBoer has good years in him and was playing some of his best footy leading up to the delisting. Good quality person that gives a team with talent to burn some character. Good pick for them.

Happy for all of them, and hope they excel.

gee we have had an amazing trade and draft....lot of potential that will hopefully be realised. Summary - Hamling, Kirsten, Hill in trade the draft Logue, Darcy, Cox and Ryan then Duman, Strnadica, Gray and Deluca. Duman a great pick as a rookie. Straight-dic should be okay too. Gray and Deluca have got better so deserve their chance to continue. Mayne Mzungu Deboer and Barlow out with probably no more than a 100-120 games to offer between them in the next two years. Always hard losing them but they have a chance now in the twilight period. .....SUPERB EFFORT BY OUR RECRUITERS IMO

Yeah, I think they've done OK, but they all look fantastic in November, time will tell.

I tell you one thing, Shepherd is going to have a fun time trying to balance quite a tall Peel squad.

Yeah, I think they've done OK, but they all look fantastic in November, time will tell.

I tell you one thing, Shepherd is going to have a fun time trying to balance quite a tall Peel squad.
funny enough when you look at it all it probably gives us a fair hint at what their planning ahead in terms of backup for McCarthy, and replacing Ibbo and Johnno. We seemed to have covered ourselves for the next 5-7 years excepting some mids to come in the future

Would have been happy to do say goodbye to grey. His disposal goes against the core. But then again if footy changes and we need a tagger scragger he us back up.
Disappointed in barlow going. Great leader at the club. And a great footy player when played in the correct possie.
The rookie draft was disappointing. Not picking up ryan.
But it's going to be a brand new team dynamic in 2017. No pav. Bennel and fyfe.
Bring it on.

So what's the point of a beep test then? In what game (apart from maybe a long rally in tennis) do you stop start and change direction again and again. Weird.

Basketball, Netball, Hockey (ice and field),...
Union,League,soccer,lacrosse,badminton….it's a longish list of individual and team ball games.

Would have been happy to do say goodbye to grey. His disposal goes against the core. But then again if footy changes and we need a tagger scragger he us back up.
Disappointed in barlow going. Great leader at the club. And a great footy player when played in the correct possie.
The rookie draft was disappointing. Not picking up ryan.
But it's going to be a brand new team dynamic in 2017. No pav. Bennel and fyfe.
Bring it on.
Not sure if you watched much of Peel last season mightymouse75, but I think the knock on his kicking is overstated. He is quite a handy long kick, but I think he was being pushed to get better at pinpointing shorter passes. He did struggle, but I thought towards the end of the year he was getting much better.

Has a great work ethic and I reckon he will come good.

A bloke told me Brady has worked incredibly hard since being delisted has improved his kicking out of sight and absolutely blanketed Ballas in some training drill they've done where he manned up on him.
I've always liked him but other than Sylvia I can't think of one of ours I haven't.

A bloke told me Brady has worked incredibly hard since being delisted has improved his kicking out of sight and absolutely blanketed Ballas in some training drill they've done where he manned up on him.
I've always liked him but other than Sylvia I can't think of one of ours I haven't.
This kicking thing is overated by postie here. I think freo plan for this rebuild is pretty solid , balance between development and first team.

Freo A and B grade mid
Mundy,fyfe ,neale
Player capable to mix thing up ( walters , s.hill)

Peel mid
Deluca, grey ( can play small forward ,tagger or take on small forward)
Balic, blakely,tucker and possible hughes .

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to imagine him making so much difference in 6 or so weeks. Not that i know either way how good his kicking is or was, its just how can anyone who has played footy for so long make such a difference in so little time.

Im happy he is back, he is what the Rookie list was made for, development!!!

Francis Watson not picked up as a cat B?

or is it possible the AFL listed cat b rookies may take longer to be selected, we did try to register him as a cat B for us so we did want him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lyon wants to have a tagger ready to go, suits our identity to be honest. He already knows Grey is a hard nut.

Hard to imagine him making so much difference in 6 or so weeks. Not that i know either way how good his kicking is or was, its just how can anyone who has played footy for so long make such a difference in so little time.

Im happy he is back, he is what the Rookie list was made for, development!!!
Maybe he met the right teacher...

I wouldn't be surprised if Lyon wants to have a tagger ready to go, suits our identity to be honest. He already knows Grey is a hard nut.
He is frighteningly hard,could do run with and we're light on for locking down small forwards;so there's stuff he offers which we can use.
Ran with Griff today after the session finished and no noticeable effects of the ankle problem.
Looked fit as a trout.
I'd like to see him establish himself in the 22 but it's a higher quality list than the one he was delisted from.
It's improved,but so has he.

GWS drafting Mz and DeBoer is like having a garage full of Maseratis and Ferraris and Porsches and deciding you need a Jackaroo ute to run down the shops in if for some reason all 30 of your other cars break down at once.

Still neither will take a backward step. (I'm very fond of both of them for what they achieved at Freo and can love them now I don't have to watch them turning the ball over for us).

Its like the balance of nature in action. We've suddenly decided to cast off all the blue collar players and draft smart players with good skills and GWS have decided they can't have a list where all 40 or so are blue chip first and second rounders so they pick up our discarded cannon fodder.
Haha brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back