Rookie Lotto 2019: bumped back from oblivion edition. What rookies to start onfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

Got 4 choices two in def one in mids and one fwd :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I have Stewart on the bench in def, but with doona almost guaranteeing that Newman won't play, that is one choice made for me. In the mids Fisher has been resurrected, but I can't play him on field over Barrett and then in the rucks and forwards I have no bench players named.

See. My team is a Dictatorship, no democracy in sight.

Which 1 rookie scrub would you start on the field out of SPP, Fisher, Parsons & Hannan?

So 2 weeks from now Scheer, Lloyd and O'Connor might need bringing in #concerning

Why concerning?

3 doesn't go into 2 :p

Also more than likely rules out a chance of doing a premo upgrade that week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When has every rookie looked good?? With 3, there maybe and I say maybe 1 that is worth anything.

This is true

Can't find the regular Rookies thread, so I'll post here.

Some stats from the Werribee v Collingwood VFL game on the weekend.

Sharenberg, Callum Brown, Mitchell Hibberd, all had good games. Hopefully all 3 will get called up soon. Needs some Rd12/13 bye rookies to put their hands up.

vfl.png

If he scores 60+ this week I may bypass both Lloyd and Stewart next week and grab him instead due to that DPP. Stewart and Lloyd will need to score huge to have a few 45-80k weekly price rises in them to warrant a trade in, or otherwise known as doing a Hoskin-Elliott :p

If my trades go to plan, I will have 3 R13 defenders who are all premiums, 4 R13 midfielders (3P + Myers), Sandi in the rucks who will turn into Grundy next week or the week after and Smith and Balic up forward.

7 premiums from that round already and hope to make it 9 within a month bringing due to Grundy and Zerrett in

Myers likely gets upgraded on his bye, but hopefully he's had 4 price rises by then, I'm not sure if I can bring in 2-3 more guys with that bye round unless they scored really well this week and next as I wouldn't make a heap of cash with standard 50-60 type scores....

Anyways, see how he goes

If he scores 60+ this week I may bypass both Lloyd and Stewart next week and grab him instead due to that DPP. Stewart and Lloyd will need to score huge to have a few 45-80k weekly price rises in them to warrant a trade in, or otherwise known as doing a Hoskin-Elliott :p

If my trades go to plan, I will have 3 R13 defenders who are all premiums, 4 R13 midfielders (3P + Myers), Sandi in the rucks who will turn into Grundy next week or the week after and Smith and Balic up forward.

7 premiums from that round already and hope to make it 9 within a month bringing due to Grundy and Zerrett in

Myers likely gets upgraded on his bye, but hopefully he's had 4 price rises by then, I'm not sure if I can bring in 2-3 more guys with that bye round unless they scored really well this week and next as I wouldn't make a heap of cash with standard 50-60 type scores....

Anyways, see how he goes
I think we should be all good getting a 60 minimum out of him this week :) Keen as on him!

Im liking the look of Lloyd aswell, doesn't suit your structure/plans getting Lloyd then Greenwood?? I'm pretty keen on both, unlikely due to needing to trade Otten for extra cash though o_O

Your planning on keeping Balic by the sounds of it "indefinite personal leave" worries me doubt will be back before there bye & turns into another Pickett/Eddy for a while :( - guessing your all good to cover him through byes mate?? How's Rd 11 looking for you??

I'm pretty happy was able to get a Myers this week with Parsons named :) I'll prolly being looking at the same thing with upgrading/downgrading him RD13 hoping he gets to maybe 280K+. I reckon a lot (like myself) could of been to focused on Rd11 and get caught out a bit by Rd13.... I'm planning using all my trades (9) to avoid this but only 4 trades left going into Rd 14 :eek:

How will you be looking in regards to trades left/team setup etc??

Last edited:
Beware, incoming tl;dr :p

I think we should be all good getting a 60 minimum out of him this week :) Keen as on him!

Im liking the look of Lloyd aswell, doesn't suit your structure/plans getting Lloyd then Greenwood?? I'm pretty keen on both, unlikely due to needing to trade Otten for extra cash though o_O
I have held most of the good rookies so far and I normally move guys on for the best upgrade options available each week when I think they've hit the wall in terms of cash generation or are useless onfield. I try and hold rookies with low BEs even if they aren't playing and would rather upgrade/downgrade around them in their respective positions if I can to mitigate the risk in holding them and hope they play in the near future. Newman and Barrett were regular emergencies, so I thought it was a no-brainer to ride the weeks without them as the potential gain from them was significant.

Otten and Hampton for me are cooked, Otten may very well beat his BE as I'd imagine he'll play forward this week, but his cash generation will be stifled due to that 49 handicapping his BE. I have the chance to upgrade him to Gaff via DPP this week, while moving on a problem player in Hannan also in the process, as I consider Myers an upgrade on Hannan in terms of onfield output, so I am jumping on that option.

Otten may do a WHE in terms of cash generation, holding value but not making any, as WHE was 394k after R5 and is only 397k now 3 weeks later with a large BE still. WHEs replacement in Buddy for me has outscored him by 60-70 points across them 3 weeks for example, so I made progress there, albeit belatedly due to Buddy giving me a 69 first up compared to WHEs 100 against Geelong, but he has gone 133 + 99 after that compared to WHEs 53 and 81 IIRC. I see more long-term value holding a low priced, but inconsistent rookie like Parsons for example, who only needs 1 good score this week to get cash flow going again with the 27 falling out, he likely makes cash and doesn't lose any.

I also have 6 keeper types down back and up forward already, so Parsons won't be an issue onfield this week either. Ottens high value was important to cash in on as he's no longer onfield for me. Williamson's BE is achievable this week, so I don't see him falling much holding him if he plays, stand more to lose on Otten, as was the case for whom who held Hampton (I cashed in on Hampton last week for Mutimer/Yeo via Adams DPP). I played 3 rookies onfield down back for a month before last week as Lloyd and Adams were in the mids, it's only Newman down back now who I rate as a potential D6-7 keeper.

DEF: Adams, Doc, Laird, Lloyd, Hodge, Newman
FWD: Yeo, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Budwah, Nank, Smith

DPP is your best friend when your bench looks thin, I've held Hibberd for example, but he has been useful in that DPP regard. I haven't needed Cameron yet, but I'd say I will after the byes for Nank if a Stef or someone has a rest/gets injured.

The problem I have with Lloyd is he only has a maximum of 3 price rises in him before his bye and he has no DPP. Myers at least has a max 4 price rises in him so he could be around a solid 300k at R13 if he has a good week this week or next and that 41 will drop out this week too. Stewart is a higher price, so if he warrants trading in next week, he may be a solid option as he'll max out quickly, he may only need 3 price rises to get to 300k. Greenwood the week after has DPP, so I may be able to hide him on my forward bench in R13 with Smith, so I see value in him already, plus we are aware of his SANFL form already so he could be a great coverage option past the byes even.

If these guys were R9/11 then they are perfect playing downgrade options, unfortunately we use them in the early bye rounds, then we will have to dump most of them on their bye to capitalise on the last 3 trade bye week, or to just make the 18 needed, except for maybe a Stewart or Greenwood due to their forward status as most forwards are R11. If these guys debuted earlier like Balic then the timing would be great as they'll be peaked by R12-13 and ready to upgrade/downgrade to, getting them right is key.

If I trade a Lloyd in then I'm looking at potentially Treloar, Titchell, Crouch, Myers and Lloyd in my midfield out for R13 and I still want to bring Zerrett in from that week. Will Lloyd make enough cash by then to warrant a trade in? That's the question. If he goes well over 80 this week then potentially yes, under 70 and maybe not, Myers has the advantage here.
Your planning on keeping Balic by the sounds of it "indefinite personal leave" worries me doubt will be back before there bye & turns into another Pickett/Eddy for a while :( - guessing your all good to cover him through byes mate?? How's Rd 11 looking for you??
I'm light on R13 forwards (have 3 R11 and 3 R12), so I have 1, maybe 2 spaces for R13 rookie forwards, 1 DPP type in midfield, 1 in the forwardline. Stewart and Greenwood are probably better for my structure at the moment as explained above. If a R12er in McInnes warrants a trade in next week, then at least he has the DPP to swing him around when needed, but I would prefer him down back eventually in Williamson's or Stewart's place if I took him, but might need him forward for starters.

I think I might need to bring in a NRoo/Steele/Heeney type in R12, even though I have 6 forward keepers already, this would push a permanent DPP link into midfield and have a premium forward at M8 until I finish my midfield which is the hardest place to upgrade by a mile due to the lack of funds made by rookies, but if I complete my mids then that link remains and an Isaac Smith likely sits at M9 and maybe a Greenwood/Stewart at F7.

I dumped Pickett and Eddy already weeks ago, they were useless and I saw them as stifling cash generation. I DPPd Eddy to Stef via Nank and turned Shaw to Newman to fund it in R4, in R6 I went Pickett to Balic. These trades netted me **** all cash, but fixed problem players at the time. No regrets, I just need to be smart with trades now as I only have 18 coming into the week with 3-4 upgrades needed to have a complete side of 22. 2 of Barrett, SPP and now Myers need to become Zerrett plus 1 more premium mid/DPP type eventually (will wait on Rocky) and Sandi becomes Grundy.

I see Isaac Smith and Newman as future D7/M9/F7 types for me, so potentially I need to make 5 upgrades, but I'll have 24 keepers to sit on with 4-6 trades left, so I reckon I'll be sweet after that for about a month and use my remaining trades for long-term injuries as 3-4 week injuries may warrant holding after the byes if I have good coverage which is the plan to build up on through the byes using 3 trades a week to my advantage.

Williamson, Sandi and maybe Barrett are probable higher needs to be moved on next week than Balic, so potentially we know what's going on with Balic coming into R11. If Balic is still out in R11 then Greenwood is probably a good like for like option, I should have enough depth to hold Balic for the 2 weeks before the byes as SPP likely comes back next week boosting my depth.

I'm looking good for R11, but I'll need to make a few trades to accommodate for that week, but no big deal as I only have 2 R11 midfielders currently in Murphy and Barrett (turfed Beams for Adams and don't own Rocky). Greenwood's or Balic's DPP will come into play that week, so I can see myself dropping a Dahlhaus/Macrae type into midfield for that week on the bench to maximise playing spots for that week which will be through midfield, maybe DPP both of them there if I trade Barrett out by then, or putting Jake Lloyd into the mids again could work if I brought in another defensive premium, or a McInnes down back even.
I'm pretty happy was able to get a Myers this week with Parsons named :) I'll prolly being looking at the same thing with upgrading/downgrading him RD13 hoping he gets to maybe 280K+. I reckon a lot (like myself) could of been to focused on Rd11 and get caught out a bit by Rd13.... I'm planning using all my trades (9) to avoid this but only 4 trades left going into Rd 14 :eek:

How will you be looking in regards to trades left/team setup etc??
I'm looking at using 8-9 through the byes too. But if I only need say 6-7 through the byes if I hold a few rookies who are scoring well and still making cash then I will likely trade in R14-15 to complete my side.

Next weeks moves are crucial in regards to bye planning, maybe double downgrading is the go and that gets me a double upgrade the week afterwards. If I upgrade Sandi to a Grundy/Hall/Harbrow type next week then I likely only go 1 up and 2 down in R11.

Myers is a no-brainer for me this week though, he's a week ahead of all the other R13ers so he's a likely upgrade option on his bye. I would love to see R9/11 rookies pop up next week though so we can jump on them in R11-12 and have them playing through the byes and not have to worry about trading them out. If these rookies pop up then existing rookies like Parsons, Stewart, Barrett and maybe a SPP are replaced in positions like D8/F8/M10-11 etc which aren't too crucial in a completed side, but if they are stuck at F7/M9/D7 after the byes then we could be in trouble.

Anyways, this is how I should be looking like for next week. Only the 16 trades and $500 left, but I feel I'm well advanced up forward and down back compared to others

Screenshot_2017-05-19-08-17-45.png
Screenshot_2017-05-19-08-17-57.png

I hope Mutimer plays, if I can make 100k off him and downgrade him on his bye then I'll consider that as a win, but dunno, he's my main concern, but he got me to Yeo and Gaff in consecutive weeks at least.

Next week if Lloyd, Stewart and McInnes look good to bring in, then I may cull Williamson via a McInnes trade in, or DPP Hibberd down back.

Barrett could go like for like for Lloyd or any of McInnes or Stewart via Balic/J Lloyd/Adams DPP. Same with Sandi, DPPing Nank into the rucks bringing in McInnes or Stewart for him.

Just wanted to let you know I will have Hampton on the bench this week whilst my opponent will have him on the field so expect one of his 100+ weeks.

Beware, incoming tl;dr :p

I have held most of the good rookies so far and I normally move guys on for the best upgrade options available each week when I think they've hit the wall in terms of cash generation or are useless onfield. I try and hold rookies with low BEs even if they aren't playing and would rather upgrade/downgrade around them in their respective positions if I can to mitigate the risk in holding them and hope they play in the near future. Newman and Barrett were regular emergencies, so I thought it was a no-brainer to ride the weeks without them as the potential gain from them was significant.

Otten and Hampton for me are cooked, Otten may very well beat his BE as I'd imagine he'll play forward this week, but his cash generation will be stifled due to that 49 handicapping his BE. I have the chance to upgrade him to Gaff via DPP this week, while moving on a problem player in Hannan also in the process, as I consider Myers an upgrade on Hannan in terms of onfield output, so I am jumping on that option.

Otten may do a WHE in terms of cash generation, holding value but not making any, as WHE was 394k after R5 and is only 397k now 3 weeks later with a large BE still. WHEs replacement in Buddy for me has outscored him by 60-70 points across them 3 weeks for example, so I made progress there, albeit belatedly due to Buddy giving me a 69 first up compared to WHEs 100 against Geelong, but he has gone 133 + 99 after that compared to WHEs 53 and 81 IIRC. I see more long-term value holding a low priced, but inconsistent rookie like Parsons for example, who only needs 1 good score this week to get cash flow going again with the 27 falling out, he likely makes cash and doesn't lose any.

I also have 6 keeper types down back and up forward already, so Parsons won't be an issue onfield this week either. Ottens high value was important to cash in on as he's no longer onfield for me. Williamson's BE is achievable this week, so I don't see him falling much holding him if he plays, stand more to lose on Otten, as was the case for whom who held Hampton (I cashed in on Hampton last week for Mutimer/Yeo via Adams DPP). I played 3 rookies onfield down back for a month before last week as Lloyd and Adams were in the mids, it's only Newman down back now who I rate as a potential D6-7 keeper.

DEF: Adams, Doc, Laird, Lloyd, Hodge, Newman
FWD: Yeo, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Budwah, Nank, Smith

DPP is your best friend when your bench looks thin, I've held Hibberd for example, but he has been useful in that DPP regard. I haven't needed Cameron yet, but I'd say I will after the byes for Nank if a Stef or someone has a rest/gets injured.

The problem I have with Lloyd is he only has a maximum of 3 price rises in him before his bye and he has no DPP. Myers at least has a max 4 price rises in him so he could be around a solid 300k at R13 if he has a good week this week or next and that 41 will drop out this week too. Stewart is a higher price, so if he warrants trading in next week, he may be a solid option as he'll max out quickly, he may only need 3 price rises to get to 300k. Greenwood the week after has DPP, so I may be able to hide him on my forward bench in R13 with Smith, so I see value in him already, plus we are aware of his SANFL form already so he could be a great coverage option past the byes even.

If these guys were R9/11 then they are perfect playing downgrade options, unfortunately we use them in the early bye rounds, then we will have to dump most of them on their bye to capitalise on the last 3 trade bye week, or to just make the 18 needed, except for maybe a Stewart or Greenwood due to their forward status as most forwards are R11. If these guys debuted earlier like Balic then the timing would be great as they'll be peaked by R12-13 and ready to upgrade/downgrade to, getting them right is key.

If I trade a Lloyd in then I'm looking at potentially Treloar, Titchell, Crouch, Myers and Lloyd in my midfield out for R13 and I still want to bring Zerrett in from that week. Will Lloyd make enough cash by then to warrant a trade in? That's the question. If he goes well over 80 this week then potentially yes, under 70 and maybe not, Myers has the advantage here.

I'm light on R13 forwards (have 3 R11 and 3 R12), so I have 1, maybe 2 spaces for R13 rookie forwards, 1 DPP type in midfield, 1 in the forwardline. Stewart and Greenwood are probably better for my structure at the moment as explained above. If a R12er in McInnes warrants a trade in next week, then at least he has the DPP to swing him around when needed, but I would prefer him down back eventually in Williamson's or Stewart's place if I took him, but might need him forward for starters.

I think I might need to bring in a NRoo/Steele/Heeney type in R12, even though I have 6 forward keepers already, this would push a permanent DPP link into midfield and have a premium forward at M8 until I finish my midfield which is the hardest place to upgrade by a mile due to the lack of funds made by rookies, but if I complete my mids then that link remains and an Isaac Smith likely sits at M9 and maybe a Greenwood/Stewart at F7.

I dumped Pickett and Eddy already weeks ago, they were useless and I saw them as stifling cash generation. I DPPd Eddy to Stef via Nank and turned Shaw to Newman to fund it in R4, in R6 I went Pickett to Balic. These trades netted me **** all cash, but fixed problem players at the time. No regrets, I just need to be smart with trades now as I only have 18 coming into the week with 3-4 upgrades needed to have a complete side of 22. 2 of Barrett, SPP and now Myers need to become Zerrett plus 1 more premium mid/DPP type eventually (will wait on Rocky) and Sandi becomes Grundy.

I see Isaac Smith and Newman as future D7/M9/F7 types for me, so potentially I need to make 5 upgrades, but I'll have 24 keepers to sit on with 4-6 trades left, so I reckon I'll be sweet after that for about a month and use my remaining trades for long-term injuries as 3-4 week injuries may warrant holding after the byes if I have good coverage which is the plan to build up on through the byes using 3 trades a week to my advantage.

Williamson, Sandi and maybe Barrett are probable higher needs to be moved on next week than Balic, so potentially we know what's going on with Balic coming into R11. If Balic is still out in R11 then Greenwood is probably a good like for like option, I should have enough depth to hold Balic for the 2 weeks before the byes as SPP likely comes back next week boosting my depth.

I'm looking good for R11, but I'll need to make a few trades to accommodate for that week, but no big deal as I only have 2 R11 midfielders currently in Murphy and Barrett (turfed Beams for Adams and don't own Rocky). Greenwood's or Balic's DPP will come into play that week, so I can see myself dropping a Dahlhaus/Macrae type into midfield for that week on the bench to maximise playing spots for that week which will be through midfield, maybe DPP both of them there if I trade Barrett out by then, or putting Jake Lloyd into the mids again could work if I brought in another defensive premium, or a McInnes down back even.

I'm looking at using 8-9 through the byes too. But if I only need say 6-7 through the byes if I hold a few rookies who are scoring well and still making cash then I will likely trade in R14-15 to complete my side.

Next weeks moves are crucial in regards to bye planning, maybe double downgrading is the go and that gets me a double upgrade the week afterwards. If I upgrade Sandi to a Grundy/Hall/Harbrow type next week then I likely only go 1 up and 2 down in R11.

Myers is a no-brainer for me this week though, he's a week ahead of all the other R13ers so he's a likely upgrade option on his bye. I would love to see R9/11 rookies pop up next week though so we can jump on them in R11-12 and have them playing through the byes and not have to worry about trading them out. If these rookies pop up then existing rookies like Parsons, Stewart, Barrett and maybe a SPP are replaced in positions like D8/F8/M10-11 etc which aren't too crucial in a completed side, but if they are stuck at F7/M9/D7 after the byes then we could be in trouble.

Anyways, this is how I should be looking like for next week. Only the 16 trades and $500 left, but I feel I'm well advanced up forward and down back compared to others

View attachment 372086
View attachment 372087

I hope Mutimer plays, if I can make 100k off him and downgrade him on his bye then I'll consider that as a win, but dunno, he's my main concern, but he got me to Yeo and Gaff in consecutive weeks at least.

Next week if Lloyd, Stewart and McInnes look good to bring in, then I may cull Williamson via a McInnes trade in, or DPP Hibberd down back.

Barrett could go like for like for Lloyd or any of McInnes or Stewart via Balic/J Lloyd/Adams DPP. Same with Sandi, DPPing Nank into the rucks bringing in McInnes or Stewart for him.

Jesus a movie would've been easier to produce and publish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back