Rookie Pick 26 (2016) - Brett Eddy

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe eddy could of been a quality forward 4 us... not saying he would kick 60+ goals but he would of been great foil for Dixon and given us a solid target in the forward 50..

Kinda wish a club who would of given him a solid chance had picked him up instead of us.

If he was 22 then i'd see the merit in keeping him. He's about to turn 28. I'd rather give that game time to Marshall, Frampton, Howard etc.

Just as a hypothetical - If Dixon got injured prior to round 1 2018, how comfortable would you be going in with:

Marshall - 1 game
Frampton - 0 games
Howard - 8 games

I don't see the problem with having some depth in the area. We don't seem to mind having a squad stacked with half back flankers and small forwards but are allergic to key position forwards for some reason.

Such nonsense from someone who clearly doesn't watch him play.

What do his sanfl performaces have to do with his potential influence at afl level?

What do his sanfl performaces have to do with his potential influence at afl level?
Why even play sanfl or rate any players form if that's the case..our coaches have been found to be incompetent once again in not playing the key proper second taller forward all year. He wasn't given the proper go he should have got, don't fall for it macca, listen to those who watch him every week...our coaches have made alot of mistakes over the course of the year.

Got it right with Marshall now... and the chb, finally

Just as a hypothetical - If Dixon got injured prior to round 1 2018, how comfortable would you be going in with:

Marshall - 1 game
Frampton - 0 games
Howard - 8 games

I don't see the problem with having some depth in the area. We don't seem to mind having a squad stacked with half back flankers and small forwards but are allergic to key position forwards for some reason.

Not very, but we would likely play guys like Westhoff and Ryder up forward if that was the case.

I'd keep Eddy on the rookie list for 2018, unless an oppo club offers us a 3rd rounder for him. A second pre-season for a rookie listed player who is a known goal kicker is worth it imo.

If Eddy is delisted there is something terminally wrong with his game at AFL level and I'd like to know what it is.

Not very, but we would likely play guys like Westhoff and Ryder up forward if that was the case.
You don't play Ryder forward for more than the odd game. He needs to ruck. That's where he plays his best and he gets lost if they stay too long in the forward line.

I'd keep Eddy on the rookie list for 2018, unless an oppo club offers us a 3rd rounder for him. A second pre-season for a rookie listed player who is a known goal kicker is worth it imo.

If Eddy is delisted there is something terminally wrong with his game at AFL level and I'd like to know what it is.

A mature body with his setshot lethality deployed as a second/third forward intrigues me bigly.

Trengove isn't an AFL standard forward but Eddy isn't AFL standard.

Really?

• Brett Eddy was afforded three games at AFL level.
• In those three games, he spent between 51% and 66% time on ground.
• He scored a total of 3 goals and 3 behinds. Jackson Trengove scored a single goal.
• He laid 7 tackles. Aaron Young (7), Jackson Trengove (8), Jarman Impey (6), and Sam Gray (8) spent more time on ground, and are still lauded for the 'defensive pressure' which Eddy supposedly lacks.
• He had 5 goal assists. This bettered Aaron Young (1), Chad Wingard (2), Charlie Dixon (2), Jackson Trengove (1), Jarman Impey (0), Robbie Gray (4), and Sam Gray (2).

It is a small sample size, but that is all any of us have to work with. Which part of it proves he is not, or does not have the potential to be, AFL standard?

Really?

• He scored a total of 3 goals and 3 behinds. Jackson Trengove scored a single goal.
• He laid 7 tackles. Aaron Young (7), Jackson Trengove (8), Jarman Impey (6), and Sam Gray (8) spent more time on ground, and are still lauded for the 'defensive pressure' which Eddy supposedly lacks.
• He had 5 goal assists. This bettered Aaron Young (1), Chad Wingard (2), Charlie Dixon (2), Jackson Trengove (1), Jarman Impey (0), Robbie Gray (4), and Sam Gray (2).

It is a small sample size, but that is all any of us have to work with. Which part of it proves he is not, or does not have the potential to be, AFL standard?

People are allowed to be skeptical of Eddy's AFL potential but you can't tell me he wouldn't have offered substantially more than Impey or Young/Trengove v. 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really?

This part.

He spent 51% to 66% time on ground and yet only managed to get back into defence 19% of the time. You know what that means? That he's not fit enough, and if he's looking elsewhere, he's not willing to change his game style to suit the modern game.

He plays as if he's a target key forward and isn't willing to do the hard yards that all other AFL forwards except Dixon, Franklin and Walker do and track back and defend.

It's just ... things. And stuff.

Really?

I have always thought the key to winning a game of footy was kicking more goals than the oppo, so when you compare Eddy's output in his 3 games to those other players named, ie direct involvement in 8 goals, and with limited game time, it doesn't make a lot of sense that he can't get a gig, and the not enough defensive pressure looks like absolute BS.

I think its pretty clear he won't be here next year. Its a shame it didnt work out but I think many have overrated his potential influence and overrated his performances at the start of the year.

If he was 22 then i'd see the merit in keeping him. He's about to turn 28. I'd rather give that game time to Marshall, Frampton, Howard etc.

Are you being paid by the club to promote damage control or something cause I normally agree with your opinion but you are just so wrong here I can't even

Are you being paid by the club to promote damage control or something cause I normally agree with your opinion but you are just so wrong here I can't even

Nope. Just thought he underwhelmed in his 3 games. Would have liked to have seen him again at some stage during the year, but not to be.

This part.

He spent 51% to 66% time on ground and yet only managed to get back into defence 19% of the time. You know what that means? That he's not fit enough, and if he's looking elsewhere, he's not willing to change his game style to suit the modern game.

He plays as if he's a target key forward and isn't willing to do the hard yards that all other AFL forwards except Dixon, Franklin and Walker do and track back and defend.

Forward 50 numbers for our KPD please

Sent from mTalk

I dont think we've seen enough of Eddy at AFL level for anybody to be able to make a call on whether he has or hasnt got what it takes to make it. The sample size is just way too small.

Hopefully we keep him on for next year, and then give him a decent run because I for one would like to know either way!

Last edited:
He spent 51% to 66% time on ground and yet only managed to get back into defence 19% of the time. You know what that means?
It means he is a forward - a forward who is leading this year's Ken Farmer medal, who won last year's Ken Farmer medal, and was runner-up for the two previous Ken Farmer medals...

...but that doesn't matter. I mean, what sort of maniacal club would recruit a genuine forward, with a long history of kicking bags of goals, and not expect them to play in the defensive half for a considerable portion of the game?

Last edited:
It means he is a forward - a forward who is leading this year's Ken Farmer medal, who won last year's Ken Farmer medal, and was runner-up for the two previous Ken Farmer medals. Heaven forbid we properly utilise this genuine forward we have, who spends most of his time in the forward half kicking bags of goals like a forward should.

No one in the AFL gives a s**t about some poxy lower tier goal kicking medal. It's like saying that Chris Wood won the golden boot in the Championship. Did Chris Wood get a gig in the EPL? Nope.

Forwards in the AFL defend. If it's good enough for Rory Lobb, good enough for Johnathon Patton, good enough for Tom Lynch, Josh Jenkins and every single other forward in the league to spend more than 20% of their time in defence, it's good enough for a rookie who is playing for their AFL career.

Maybe Eddy has realized, as Butcher did, that AFL just isn't his gig because he likes just being a forward. Nothing wrong with that.

Really?

you raise some interesting names which probably explains why we are the 7th-10th best side in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back