Toast Rookie Pick 29 - Sam Gray

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality is that rookies are a low percentage rate of success. Quite a few get promoted to main list, but the majority still don't play regular footy. I know there are exceptions, but I'm talking percentages here. So based on that, I really don't out a lot if emphasis in the rookie draft. It's a lottery

Separated at birth? Sam Gray and Elijah Wood

2013_SamGray_246_246X316.jpg
post-31427-0-77910300-1363889078.jpg

Sink that big hairy foot into the ball Sam. :D

not comparing him at all to this man, just a couple things that he did reminded me of him. at 1:15 when he does that little turn on the boundary it just reminded me of sam mitchell a little. also his kicking style, the way he turns onto his left as well. if his skills can be half as good as mitchells that would be great.

who knows, maybe it was just the number 5 on the back. :p

ive always been a fan of sammy though, hopefully he takes his chance if he gets one.

After Sammy's last three weeks efforts I think he deserves some praise on here.

I will admit that I wasn't sure with his size if he could play a midfield role, or play other than a forward pocket type in the AFL. It looks like he is starting to transition from Sanfl level to AFL. :thumbsu:

After his efforts in the bulldogs game when he was only one of the few who stood up all game. Plus this week as well he was an important part of our midfield.
It's good to see a EP lad getting a chance and I hope he will take it with both hands!
Well done Sam I hope you get a position on our main list next year and continue to improve.:)

the kid is an absolute terrier. He has things to work on, but for the amount of games he has played he def needs credit.

The only problem i have is having so many short people in the team. He can def take a hanger, but in a contested situation he is too small. Id have 2 of these short people tops. Which atm would be gray and neade.

As much as people rubbish him he has shown more this year than a lot that have been on our list a lot longer. I can think of a couple of names from the 2009 draft that spring to mind. :rolleyes:

To be fair up until 3 weeks ago he had had shown nothing to suggest he had an AFL future. To make it sound like he has shown plenty this year is a bit over the top. But credit where it is due, he has had a good 3 weeks at AFL level and glad to see he is making a better fist of his time at the top level than last year and earlier this year before he was dropped again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the kid is an absolute terrier. He has things to work on, but for the amount of games he has played he def needs credit.

The only problem i have is having so many short people in the team. He can def take a hanger, but in a contested situation he is too small. Id have 2 of these short people tops. Which atm would be gray and neade.

wingard, white, amon, sgray, neade, mitchell, impey, krak

........we do play too many to small

Who would have thought that playing a mid fielder in the mid field rather than as a small forward has seen him produce his best form. Sammy has taken his chances this time and well done.

Im not sure he will ever make our best 18 but he is doing everything you want a depth player to do, contribute week in week out rather than yo yo in and out of the side.

Last edited:
To be fair up until 3 weeks ago he had had shown nothing to suggest he had an AFL future. To make it sound like he has shown plenty this year is a bit over the top. But credit where it is due, he has had a good 3 weeks at AFL level and glad to see he is making a better fist of his time at the top level than last year and earlier this year before he was dropped again.
As REH has said above he has been played out of position all year up until the last month. We do stack up to short on the ground for my liking but you can't grow anymore at his age. The bottom line is he cost nothing and has shown some worth.

I have to admit that SGray hasnt been one of my favourites but hes starting to find a bit of the ball and in the process he is starting to look a lot better at afl level he may yet play a bigger role than many have thought?

Krak doesn't belong on that list. And Wingard. When you're as good as him size is completely irrelevant.

no doubt but how many can you play at once? 4?

I recall saying earlier in the year that he shouldn't have been played as a permanent small forward as he looked lost.

Amazing what happens when players are played in their natural positions. Couple of good games, confidence goes up and all of a sudden they look like a different player.

Good on him. Has worked his arse off and deserves all the good things that come his way.

wingard, white, amon, sgray, neade, mitchell, impey, krak

........we do play too many to small

Wingard 181cm; Amon 181cm; Krakouer 181cm; White 180cm; K Mitchell 174cm; S Gray 176cm; Neade 170cm;

Puopolo 173cm; Hartung 174cm; Rioli 177cm; Duryea 179cm; S Mitchell 179cm; Hill 181cm; Simpkin 181cm

If you're good enough you don't have to be super tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back