Toast Rookie - #Pick 3 - Welcome to Carlton Matt Shaw

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't fundamentally disagree with the concept of trying a kid over a known commodity.

But two concerns specific to our current list:

- We are VERY young, we don't want to make the mistake Melbourne did. They were far two young got absolutely thumped as a result for years and it killed some of the kids development. Talented juniors became complete busts. Same rational I would suggest was used to retain Daisy.

- Hope for another Liam Jones, he was on the scrap heap and ended up touted as a potential AA selection if he played the full season.

Doubt we will be making the mistake the Demons made and there are more than enough senior bodies on our list, ONE extra kid would make no difference to that even if it was an issue

Hope is a wonderful emotional feeling, I would rather deal with reality

Wish all of Mullett, Shaw and O'Shea all the best hope they become premiership players !

Wish all of Mullett, Shaw and O'Shea all the best hope they become premiership players !
Definitely some uninspiring names there, but I feel one of SOS' biggest strengths at both GWS and Carlton has been adding value through mature-age players. This gives me confidence we'll be happy with this decision down the track.

Exactly. This highlights why SOS will only bring in either rolled Gold youth or depth players in their prime with the capability of decent output.

What's the point of bringing in another Gallucci for example? Sits on the list for two years, can't break into a bottom side then gets delisted.

Bring in a Matt Shaw who is a 100 game AFL player instead. He may only be on the list for two years, but those two years he will be 26 and 27 years of age, fully fit and ready to play his best footy.

The only player that was brought in this offseason who is neither a proven gun youngster, a mature, ready to go player, or a ruckman was Schumacher. That's one speculative pick out of 11 players.
Really agree, SOS has done a great job getting Shaw for effectively nothing.

Our midfield in 2017 was putrid following the injuries to Cripps and Curnow!

Boek was not a best 22 player even when Cripps etc. were out. Happy guys like Tutt and Boek are gone and the MM era is almost completely cleaned out.

Shaw looks OK and I will be cheering him on every time he is on the park.
Two way runner, can kick a goal, good run and carry.
Go Blues!!!

Boekhorst > Shaw in my opinion, but I’m not SOS so I have faith he has made the right decision. Welcome to the blues Shaw!
Not even close in my opinion. Suns have notably bad development, a lot of talent and were awful and he managed 100 games. Carlton were awful but even with the bolts change boekhorst only mustered 20 games. The difference is large.

I think some people are overreacting on this pick. Gold Coast isn't exactly the ideal environment to develop footballers and he's still young enough to develop further. He's been at the club training and we still chose to select him so SOS obviously sees something.

He certainly fits a need for a mature body with experience, whether he plays in the 2s or gets a call up to the 1s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm reasonably happy with the pickup. Not expecting Shaw to play many games, but he'll be a good contributor to the NBs but he'll be fairly valuable when he gets the call up to play seniors to cover injuries or resting young'uns (like how Samo was managed last year). Shaw has taken Gallucci's spot on the list and is a huge improvement on him.

Rd 23 this year we were starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel due to injuries and fielded this team:
FB Simpson Jones Docherty
HB Armfield Weitering Byrne
C Boekhorst Petrevski-Seton Fisher
HF Wright Curnow Thomas
FF Lamb Casboult Pickett
FOL Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
INT Graham Kerridge Williamson Smedts

Having some experienced guys who can play to the level in the VFL like Shaw, Mullett, O'Shea and Lobbe come in to the squad means we're not having to call up a Smedts, Gallucci (who never played...), Gorringe, Smedts, etc. I dare say the club probably wants to avoid a repeat of the Port, Geelong and rd 23 Sydney games this year where we lost a few starting 18 players and had to throw some kids to the wolves (along with some barely/not afl standard journeymen). Shaw, Mullett, O'Shea and Lobbe have all played a good 40 game more than the average of the rest of our list and probably 20 or so more than our best 22 average (which is fairly inflated due to Simmo and Murph and even Kreuzer, Wright and Ed to a degree).

ASOS was an astute pickup this year and I'd say there's a fair chance that at least 2 of Shaw, Mullett, O'Shea and Lobbe may be looked back upon in the same manner.

Last edited:
I'm reasonably happy with the pickup. Not expecting Shaw to play many games, but he'll be a good contributor to the NBs but he'll be fairly valuable when he gets the call up to play seniors to cover injuries or resting young'uns (like how Samo was managed last year). Shaw has taken Gallucci's spot on the list and is a huge improvement on him.

Rd 23 this year we were starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel due to injuries and fielded this team:
FB Simpson Jones Byrne
HB Armfield Weitering Byrne
C Boekhorst Petrevski-Seton Fisher
HF Wright Curnow Thomas
FF Lamb Casboult Pickett
FOL Kreuzer Gibbs Murphy
INT Graham Kerridge Williamson Smedts

Having some experienced guys who can play to the level in the VFL like Shaw, Mullett, O'Shea and Lobbe come in to the squad means we're not having to call up a Smedts, Gallucci (who never played...), Gorringe, Smedts, etc. I dare say the club probably wants to avoid a repeat of the Port, Geelong and rd 23 Sydney games this year where we lost a few starting 18 players and had to throw some kids to the wolves (along with some barely/not afl standard journeymen). Shaw, Mullett, O'Shea and Lobbe have all played a good 40 game more than the average of the rest of our list and probably 20 or so more than our best 22 average (which is fairly inflated due to Simmo and Murph and even Kreuzer, Wright and Ed to a degree).

ASOS was an astute pickup this year and I'd say there's a fair chance that at least 2 of Shaw, Mullett, O'Shea and Lobbe may be looked back upon in the same manner.
Byrne was so good you named him twice

Shows how easy it is to get a game with the Suns. A good depth player.
I got censored for saying something similar. Oh well. Welcome Matt. Some more long blonde locks in the Navy Blue. Hope he goes as well as DRJ when he came over from the Swans.

At worst will be a solid body to protect the kids from getting flattened for the next year or two.

There is some upside with Shaw and as we saw with Liam Jones this year a bit of confidence can work wonders, fingers crossed that everything clicks for him.

Underwhelming welcome to the club by some arrogant "supporters", ignorant of his deeds at he Gold Coast.
Gold Coast was a very talented and promising side for it's first few years. Living in Qld, I have taken particular
interest in their players and development. Shaw is no mug, and in a better development environment, he would
be much higher regarded by the "learned" individuals on here.
If you take the time to read his bio on Footywire it alludes to the double edged sword of Matt Rosa's arrival at the
Suns. While Shaw lost his spot to the prominent former West Coast winger, he alludes to the learning process
having previously lacked mentorship of any kind in regard to wing play. A pretty sad indictment on the club, not
on Shaw.
I was regularly surprised at the potential he showed in the first couple of years and the apparent stagnation of
his talents. Recent events have been enlightening. The young man may just surprise us all in a strong development
environment. On face value it is easy to surmise he has been recruited as depth, I very much doubt that is the case.
When a bloke laments his lack of direction and suitable coaching/mentorship, it is difficult to fathom the armchair
experts tagging him as an on field coach/mentor for the kids.
Depth maybe, but pretty sure SOS sees unfulfilled potential. Going to be a tough gig cementing a best 22 spot in
our developing team chock full of talent, but be advised he is here for his talents and potential. Diamond in the rough.

Take your chances Matt, no free rides for the kids, let's see if you can find a spot.
Great post, Coona. Too many Carlton posters are too quick to disrespect incoming players just because they weren't Top 5 players from their previous club. Look back at some of the welcome to threads for guys like Wright - plenty of ignorance there.

Great post, Coona. Too many Carlton posters are too quick to disrespect incoming players just because they weren't Top 5 players from their previous club. Look back at some of the welcome to threads for guys like Wright - plenty of ignorance there.
Thought Mat Shaw was in the top five players at the Suns under Bluey Mckenna, his drop off had something to do with Rodney Eade.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back