Jarrod Lienert

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disappointed. I accept Jasper comes in and of 100% fit it's the right call. The upside here is Lienhart is safe on the list for next year and he gets a really good run at claiming a spot preseason next year.

Ken spoke about Jarrod in the
Magarey Room after the match. Really happy with how he is progressing and developing under Bassett. Said he definitely would have played this season if he hadn't been injured.

Ken is keen to play a 195cm hbf who can kick the ball 60m.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Magarey Room after the match. Really happy with how he is progressing and developing under Bassett. Said he definitely would have played this season if he hadn't been injured.

Also mentioned him during the press conference when answering questions about Jonas.

At the Members Convention when Cripps put up a list of our players, he categorized the forwards into KPF's, general forwards, hybrids etc, for mids he had inside mids, outside mids, hybrids, rucks etc. He had similar categories for the derenders, but had one extra category for the defenders - lock down.

There were only 4 players in that category. DBJ and Irra were 2 of the 4. I am about 95% certain Lienert was one of the 4 but just can't picture the slide or remember who was the 4th. It may have been Jonas but I have no confidence its him. If it is, then it makes sense why Ken talks positively about Jarrod making his debut to replace Jonas. If I was Jack Hombsch I would be a bit concerned.

Lienert is taller, not as heavy or as strong as Jonas but a lot better kick. I reckon at AFL level, compared to SANFL level, his kick becomes a real weapon.

A more permanent backline of Houston, Bonner, Lienert, Hartlett and Broadbent makes us a very long kicking and reasonably accurate kicking backline.

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Trent McKenzie also has similar attributes and has been injured as well. They might be competing against each other for this opportunity. Trent played poorly in his debut, but so did almost the whole team that day. I hope they both get a shot in the AFL team.

woffy

All Australian
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
.....Lienert is taller, not as heavy or as strong as Jonas but a lot better kick. I reckon at AFL level, compared to SANFL level, his kick becomes a real weapon.
A more permanent backline of Houston, Bonner, Lienert, Hartlett and Broadbent makes us a very long kicking and reasonably accurate kicking backline.
Good kicking yes, but lacking in pace.

Well done Jarrod, just held up for a bit by the knee injury this year. Look forward to seeing your debut game.

Tom Jonas announcing Jarrod's first AFL game.

Here's BigFooty's Chris25 discussing Lienert after his game for Sturt in the 2012 u18s grand final. You did get him right in the end!

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2012-south-australian-draft-prospects.907862/page-9

I've been talking him up for a while now, but Jarrod Lienert just continues to impress me. I still think he should have gotten a Combine invite rather than a State Screening, and I don't know why he isn't talked about more. I think he'll develop into a 3rd tall down back at AFL level, but that's not to say he couldn't get stronger and be a proper KPD. But his rebounding work is really good and at the moment is the highlight of his game - 25 disposals and 13 rebounds from defensive 50 today, and that wasn't as a loose man either. Didn't get to show it today, but he can go forward too.

Back