News Jarrod Lienert signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

98kgs was the biggest Tredders go to. Does he look as big as Tredders ie 2007-2009 vintage? Tredders was 194cm. He finished off at 96kgs in 2010. I reckon its a typo.

He has a big body if you look at the video, he's not all that lean. Quinlan wasn't particularly hulking but listed at 97kg.

Even at 88kg he's still more Quinlan than Pettingill.

As someone that is 193 cms, being 88kgs at that height you're a stick figure. I would know, I was. He certainly isn't a stick figure, he's a couple cm taller, he's older and a more mature body. I'm confident 98kg would be closer to the mark. You can put on a lot of weight at that height quickly without showing it.

Last edited:
98kgs was the biggest Tredders go to. Does he look as big as Tredders ie 2007-2009 vintage? Tredders was 194cm. He finished off at 96kgs in 2010. I reckon its a typo.
No way is he 88kgs REH, that supposedly has him 2kgs lighter that SPP according to the masses here! :eek:
Based on that, at 8cm taller, thicker set, and not being in AFL condition, he is easily 98kgs
JMO

Marshall is 87-89 kgs no? Lienert has bigger arms and trunk legs im on the 98kg wagon

Side note for some reason i keep thinking the pronunciation of his name is lion-art rather than lee-nert as it is in his highlights package

He looks more 98 rather than 88 ... if he was 88 he'd be built like Trent Hentschel, prefer him to be a bit bigger than Trent

Marshall is 87-89 kgs no? Lienert has bigger arms and trunk legs im on the 98kg wagon

Side note for some reason i keep thinking the pronunciation of his name is lion-art rather than lee-nert as it is in his highlights package
German name so ie is usually pronounced "ee". Sounds like my buddy could be a Riese (Ree-za); a giant!

Have seen bits and pieces of him (couple of games he played reasonably well in + the highlights) but not enough to get the full picture.

To me it seems we've picked up an Andrejs Everitt type - fair comparison?

German name so ie is usually pronounced "ee". Sounds like my buddy could be a Riese (Ree-za); a giant!

Correct. I went to school with a lot of Lienert's, it is pronounced Lee-nert.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given up his teaching job for this ... hope he does well! Come across this recently ...

2012 AFL Phantom Draft
Posted by Paige Cardona on 17 November,
89. Essendon – Jarrod Lienert
Height: 191cm
Weight: 80kg
Position: Defender/midfield
Team: Sturt
State: South Australia
Jarrod Lienert is a hybrid defender, capable of playing close-checking, lockdown role, or creating run and drive off half-back. When in defence, Lienert likes to play somewhat loose where he will go as the third man up at a contest or mark the ball uncontested and take off. Able to kick over 60 metres, Lienert a beautiful kick from kick-ins.

Interestingly, she also had this:
16. Geelong – Tom Clurey
Height: 193cm
Weight: 85kg
Position: Defender
Team: Murray Bushrangers
State: Victoria
As a lockdown defender, Clurey has an innate ability to wear any forward he marks up on like a glove. A beautiful reader of the play, Clurey beams with confidence and relishes a one-on-one situation, where he is almost guaranteed to win out every time. Clurey’s confidence to mark in defence is a key attribute not many young draftees currently possess, which in turn has become his biggest strength. Finishing second in the repeat sprints at the Draft Combine, he demonstrated his ability to constantly follow around forwards with big engines and highlighted his durability and endurance as a defender. Despite all of his lockdown roles on the ‘gorillas’ of the draft, Clurey also sets up well from defence to attack, forcing bigger forwards to follow him up the ground and be accountable for his whereabouts. Gifted with brilliant decision making, always playing the percentages, Clurey is a team man with a team first attitude who would be groomed at the Swans as their next big thing in defence.

Why would we need to elevate Lienert for round 1?

We have two rookie elevations that we can make prior to Round 1 due to our reduced senior list size. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the opportunity to make those rookie elevations expire if we don't make them before Round 1. For example, the Eagles elevated Kane Lucas under the same rule before the start of the 2015 season, and he ended up not playing a single senior game that year.

Even if we dont want any of our rookies playing round 1, there's no reason not to use the elevations. Eddy will get one, Lienert will likely be competing with Snelling for the other. No sense in going into the season a senior listed player short.

We have two rookie elevations that we can make prior to Round 1 due to our reduced senior list size. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the opportunity to make those rookie elevations expire sif we don't make them before Round 1.

Eddy will get one, Lienert will likely be competing with Snelling for the other. No sense going in a senior listed player short when we don't have to.
My understanding is that if we have a position available on our senior list we can elevate a rookie at anytime if required. So we wouldn't be a player short. I may be wrong.

There is no need to elevate Lienert for round 1 unless we have rash of pre-season game injuries or he shows outstanding form. He probably plays in a position where we have more than enough coverage at the moment. I'm hoping he will show the sort of form that makes his selection a genuine possibility because an in-form 195cm running defender/utility with an accurate 60m kick would be a handy addition to the side.

i wouldn't worry about elevations, should all be pointless gesturing once the CBA is finalised and abolishes the rookie list for 2018 and no upgrades required in 2017.

it sounds the one certainty coming through the talks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back