Remove this Banner Ad

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geoff Parker did make comment about drafting 'smarter' kids and their ability to understand game plans, structures etc.
Good because public school dumb arses have never been champion footballers eh it's up there with redefining pi this modern footy lark.. KICK IT TO THE BIG BLOKE!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burton89onegoal

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting contrasting drafting philosophies by us and the Crows - they take arguably 2 of the 3 best key defenders with 2 of their first 3 picks, thereby overlooking a bit of quality elsewhere within the first 30 picks....whilst we overlook key defenders in the main draft (and take a good variety of players with our 4 picks) and take a key defender as a rookie, presumably under the assumption that there isn't really a lot of difference between the quality between Pasini and the key defenders likely to go in the first 20 to 30 picks....but at same time we are able to get some quality in other areas early on in the draft.

Will be interesting to compare the results of the 2 clubs' selections over the next few years.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting contrasting drafting philosophies by us and the Crows - they take arguably 2 of the 3 best key defenders with 2 of their first 3 picks, thereby overlooking a bit of quality elsewhere within the first 30 picks....whilst we overlook key defenders in the main draft (and take a good variety of players with our 4 picks) and take a key defender as a rookie, presumably under the assumption that there isn't really a lot of difference between the quality between Pasini and the key defenders likely to go in the first 20 to 30 picks....but at same time we are able to get some quality in other areas early on in the draft.

Will be interesting to compare the results of the 2 clubs' selections over the next few years.
We did it right.

You pick up KPD late (or convert unsuccessful forwards).

You draft talented forwards and mids early.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We did it right.

You pick up KPD late (or convert unsuccessful forwards).

You draft talented forwards and mids early.

Except we didn't draft a 195cm+ tall early this year (and only the once with Marshall in his tenure). I'd also say draft talented KPD's (195cm+) before mid's early if they are there. Spine first, then the mid's. More important is play the damn talls in the AFL. No point having another year of KPP's on the list that Ken won't play. It'll just be new names to frustrate us.

From The West Australian 6th November

Injured WA draft hopefuls Riley Garcia, Mitch Georgiades and Jake Pasini will get another chance to impress AFL recruiters.The trio are among 13 players across the country to undergo the extra medical testing next Friday as clubs get closer to their final decisions on who to draft later this month.

Athletic Subiaco forward Georgiades stunned doctors when his badly corked quad took nearly 12 months to get right.

And 18-year-old Pasini missed the national draft combine because of his post-season shoulder surgery. “I made the decision not to get surgery during the season to help my draft chances and it kept popping out ... just light dislocations,” Pasini said. “I had a few chats with the physio and a few AFL clubs and they recommended I get the surgery done now so I can get stuck into pre-season training as soon as possible.”

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Except we didn't draft a 195cm+ tall early this year (and only the once with Marshall in his tenure). I'd also say draft talented KPD's (195cm+) before mid's early if they are there. Spine first, then the mid's. More important is play the damn talls in the AFL. No point having another year of KPP's on the list that Ken won't play. It'll just be new names to frustrate us.
How many gun 195+ forwards have come from picks 14-22?

The guns go higher or come from the clouds usually.

How many gun 195+ forwards have come from picks 14-22?

The guns go higher or come from the clouds usually.

Jack Riewoldt 195 cms 631 goals pick #13 2008 springs to mind straight away, A couple of academy bids back in 2008 would have pushed him into your range.

Had to look it up because I wasn't sure if he was in the 14-22 range, but 195cm Fraser Gehrig was pick 16 1993, played most of his 115 games for West Coast and then first 32 in first 2 years at the Saints in defence then did a Tim Evans and last 6 years at St Kilda the next 113 games he kicked 375 goals inc a ton in 2004 (549 in total), thank you stupid Saints fans for celebrating his ton and breaking Saints momentum in the 1st quarter of PF.

But yeah, they are rare.

Reading AFL Draft Central guys draft profile booklet, they suggest he might be a future Chad Cornes type - move from defence to inside mid.

Green = above average and Yellow = average. [no elite blue or below average red]

1575027535883.png

benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Reading AFL Draft Central guys draft profile booklet, they suggest he might be a future Chad Cornes type - move from defence to inside mid.

Green = above average and Yellow = average. [no elite blue or below average red]

View attachment 786952

Not sure that is on the money... he was up near 90% kicking efficiency during the champs, so i would assume that’s in the elite category.

Elite defensive kickers are exactly what we need. Really, really happy with this pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back