Welcome Rookie Pick 9 (2016) - Peter Ladhams

Schlez

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Rookies have to nominate for the national draft first, and he’s no Luke Ball. He could end up anywhere. That’s why a club would trade.

Anyway it doesn’t matter. We’ve probably offered him a one year deal because it’s tied to what we’ve offered Ryder - sort of a “This is the pie, you get this slice, you get this slice” kind of situation. Ladhams isn’t Hayes, who will be a superstar ruck - he’s another Lycett.

I’m all for retaining him, but it has to be realistic. He needs to realise that the money will be there once Ryder is gone...which is probably why he’ll wait until we see what Paddy is doing.
Lycett wishes he had the tools Ladhams has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jonts

Premium Platinum
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Theoretically, his tenure should be linked to Hayes'. They are in competition to be the #2 ruckman on the list over the next few years, which would eventually lead to them being the #1 in the much longer term. At some point, one of them will have to be cut loose, because you could have 18 All Australian ruckmen on your list, but you'll still only ever be able to play 1-2 of them each week.
Id back in a team of 11 Gawns and 11 Grundys to make top 4

philthy05

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide 36ers
I can’t explain how ******* moronic our club would have to be to keep Ryder but let ladhams go after persisting for him for years when he’s exploded into amazing form and all we would likely get for him would be a 3rd rounder in a poor draft.

I would jettison the entire board, coaching panel, and staff before I would do something this ******* stupid.

OneGreatClub

Hall of Famer
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can’t explain how ******* moronic our club would have to be to keep Ryder but let ladhams go after persisting for him for years when he’s exploded into amazing form and all we would likely get for him would be a 3rd rounder in a poor draft.

I would jettison the entire board, coaching panel, and staff before I would do something this ******* stupid.
I might find that microwave they used in Ballarat and cook my membership before their eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Windy Cindy

Senior List
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We will likely shed one of Hayes or Ladhams and my bet is on Ladhams.

Would love to keep both.
I hope not that would be terrible.

They should be doing everything to sign ladhams and offload Ryder’s salary.

They need to get it done ASAP or north or someone will offer a godlike offer, like the saints are offering Draper. If that happens ya can’t blame him for going

Jakksynn

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can’t see us getting more than a second rounder for a guy who’s got the potential to be one of the best in the league. Would be terrible timing for us if he were to leave this year before he’s really had a chance to shine at the top level. I agree we can’t have all three of Lycett Hayes and Ladhams but losing one of the two young guys now would really suck.

SureBuddy14

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I don’t think it’s about us not wanting Ladhams, it’s about Ladhams actually wanting to play AFL. No young player would pass us the number 1 ruck role to be 3rd string ruck. That’s providing we also lose Ryder. Lycett is number 1 and Hayes will very quickly become number 2, probably as early as next year.

That would mean that Ladhams would have to wait for two long term injuries to get consistent games. Just doesn’t make sense for his own career. It would be horrible to lose him, but I don’t think we have much of a choice.

If I had the choice between keeping Hayes or Ladhams, I would 100% be taking Hayes.

Just hopefully we get well compensated.

Chachi

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
You need at least 3 high quality rucks on your list and a development player. (Primus, Broges, Lade).

Ladhams, Lycett and Hayes must be retained. Paddy and the club need to make a decision, whether he's happy to stay and earn his spot on a shorter contract for less coin.

I think the club has been pretty clear this year that the bloke in form will get selected and reputation counts for far less. With that in mind if Ladhams wants to be the #1 ruckman then it's completely up to him.

Schlez

Team Captain
May 10, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don’t think it’s about us not wanting Ladhams, it’s about Ladhams actually wanting to play AFL. No young player would pass us the number 1 ruck role to be 3rd string ruck. That’s providing we also lose Ryder. Lycett is number 1 and Hayes will very quickly become number 2, probably as early as next year.

That would mean that Ladhams would have to wait for two long term injuries to get consistent games. Just doesn’t make sense for his own career. It would be horrible to lose him, but I don’t think we have much of a choice.

If I had the choice between keeping Hayes or Ladhams, I would 100% be taking Hayes.

Just hopefully we get well compensated.
If Ladhams is willing to stay for a 2-3 year contact, then give it to him. Opportunity and money is elsewhere, but if all is to be believed, he'd prefer to be here.

Top Bottom