News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

What I liked about Ladhams' game was he didn't do anything different to how he plays in the sanfl. He competed hard at the bounce, hunted ground ball and tried to stay involved as a giant mid. He demands the ball, is not afraid to kick the ball and he hits his targets. He has very good skills for a 204cm giant. Broges probably told him to do what works for him so he did.

I’d be extremely disappointed to lose Pete after the development and faith shown.
Ken Hinkley ....: I'm extremely confident Pete Ladhams will be at Port Adelaide next season. He's been a Port man all his life. Lived across the road. I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

What I liked about Ladhams' game was he didn't do anything different to how he plays in the sanfl. He competed hard at the bounce, hunted ground ball and tried to stay involved as a giant mid. He demands the ball, is not afraid to kick the ball and he hits his targets. He has very good skills for a 204cm giant. Broges probably told him to do what works for him so he did.
Agree. His field kicking is excellent. Although they look a little awkward, his left-foot passes are generally well weighted to the advantage side of our forwards, even when he kicks on the run. He looks a little raw contesting for the overhead mark at AFL level, but his marking has been good in the SANFL.

He's a must keep for me.

I have no problem with Lycett (and for the timebeing Ryder) being overlooked for Ladhams, and in the future having to fight it out with him and Hayes. May the best two performed be picked regardless of their age, experience or what we paid to get them here.

Both Ladhams and Hayes have genuine forward ability as well.

Pete should expect that if his form continues and he improves his game further, he will get plenty of AFL gametime next year.

Agree. His field kicking is excellent. Although they look a little awkward, his left-foot passes are generally well weighted to the advantage side of our forwards, even when he kicks on the run. He looks a little raw contesting for the overhead mark at AFL level, but his marking has been good in the SANFL.

He's a must keep for me.

I have no problem with Lycett (and for the timebeing Ryder) being overlooked for Ladhams, and in the future having to fight it out with him and Hayes. May the best two performed be picked regardless of their age, experience or what we paid to get them here.

Both Ladhams and Hayes have genuine forward ability as well.

Pete should expect that if his form continues and he improves his game further, he will get plenty of AFL gametime next year.
I don’t think it works like that. Players want to play. Ladhams won’t stay here to battle it out if he can go elsewhere and play.

Like us .. he is a Port supporter ... he wont go elsewhere to play. He has a future with Port.
Just like Port supporter Polec wouldn't go anywhere else to play?

It's sounding like Ladhams will stay, but being a Port supporter has SFA to do with it. If we can't assure him of regular opportunities going forward, he'll go to a club that will.

Just like Port supporter Polec wouldn't go anywhere else to play?

It's sounding like Ladhams will stay, but being a Port supporter has SFA to do with it. If we can't assure him of regular opportunities going forward, he'll go to a club that will.
Polec married a Melbourne girl, that's why he went to Melbourne, so no comparison with Ladhams, unless of cause, he does the same ... lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polec married a Melbourne girl, that's why he went to Melbourne, so no comparison with Ladhams, unless of cause, he does the same ... lol
Yeah, nah. Polec went to Melbourne because they offered him a better deal.

This is employment for the players - they will chase the best contract and opportunities they can get. Who they support maybe provides the 1% difference if they can't make a choice but that's it.

Yeah, nah. Polec went to Melbourne because they offered him a better deal.

This is employment for the players - they will chase the best contract and opportunities they can get. Who they support maybe provides the 1% difference if they can't make a choice but that's it.
It was a bit of both, he was a port guy and would have stayed if we got closer but married a Melb girl and would have made the move post footy anyway.

Considering the size of the North offer it really made sense to take it.

Ken Hinkley ....: I'm extremely confident Pete Ladhams will be at Port Adelaide next season. He's been a Port man all his life. Lived across the road. I'd be surprised if he wasn't.
So when did he move to the Norwood zone?

having ladhams, Lycett and hayes in the same team is do-able mixing p between forward and Ruck. And people talk about Ryder having to make way. I think thats a no brainer. But the bigger one is that i think Dixon should too be making way to make it happen.

Frampton is the most unlucky one here.

having ladhams, Lycett and hayes in the same team is do-able mixing p between forward and Ruck. And people talk about Ryder having to make way. I think thats a no brainer. But the bigger one is that i think Dixon should too be making way to make it happen.

Frampton is the most unlucky one here.
Hayes should be ready to play week in week out in 2021. He has shown a lot of promise, I'm a big fan have been since his 2nd or 3rd sanfl game, but he needs to put together an 8-10 week block of fantastic games together, just like Ladhams did this year. So unless Hayes has an unbelievable preseason and just dominates from the start of trials in February through to the end of May, lets see him develop, before we lock him in and kick someone else out.

Dixon's 5 year deal ends in October 2020. Late in the 2020 season is when big decision will have to be made.

Last edited:
Am I wrong in saying that Ladhams' improvement has coincided with Dean Brogan coming on as ruck coach. He has shown potential before, but his improvement has been j-curve this year working under Brogan!

Hayes should be ready to play week in week out in 2021. He has shown a lot of promise, I'm a big fan have been since his 2nd or 3rd sanfl game, but he needs to put together an 8-10 week block of fantastic games together, just like Ladhams did this year. So unless Hayes has an unbelievable preseason and just dominates from the start of trials in February through to the end of May, lets see him develop, before we lock him in and kick someone else out.

Dixon's 5 year deal ends in October 2020. Late in the 2020 season is when big decision will have to be made.
Wrong thread but hopefuly in 2020 we can roll over Dixons fat key forward contract to another key forward currently on the Gold Coast who is out of contract at the end of 2020

I'm hoping he can develop his game as a forward. I think he has the tools, but currently he looks best suited to being a number one ruck with the ability to pay as an extra midfielder. Slyce is pure ruck and Hayes could be a good ruck forward. Unfortunately Paddy has to go and I think Slyce will be third in line in 2 years.
Big beefy ruckmen can go on and on to maybe 33-34 years of age.
Often they get better at it too. Perhaps Mummy has gone on one year too many, but up till now he is an example of this outcome.
Lycett will still have significant value as a trade in 2 years as a result. Either by continuing with us, or as a trade. Even then he may have 3-4 years left in him.
Even the stick insect types like Goldstein have surprised me with their form. Injuries will prevent Ryder from going on to emulate the longevity of this guy. He's got 1 good year left in him IMO.
It's interesting how good our recruiters have been in accumulating both terrific or potentially terrific ruckmen. Some purely by luck (Hayes). But sadly it means we are going to have to jettison at least one, when I don't want to lose any of them.

Lycett and Ladhams working in tandem for the next 5 years gives me a chubby.
You know what gets me real excited, Hayes and Ladhams working in tandem. Now that's really exciting.

Ladhams after a preseason may well go past Lycett, and Hayes is not far behind, and should easily be our best ruckman in a couple years.

...and her father runs a very successful business which Polly was promised (if he came to Melb) a part of when his football career is over.
It was a no brainer for him. I don't know the family or Polly but was told by a family friend who lived across the road from Jared.
Would I or anyone of us do the same?, probably yes. This has come up on here before so for those on here getting stuck into Polly
all I would say is, you'd do the same.

His dexterity by foot for a big man is elite.

His only flaw at the moment is a lack of strength (For an AFL level ruck), which will come over the next couple seasons. His biggest issue in 2018 was that he couldn't take contested marks, but that has seemingly improved a tonne, and this year he has added an incredible ability to play like another mid to his game out of nowhere.