News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

+ SPP who is only 22.
Hope so. I just don't get a feel for how much SPP will improve. Is he ever going to get enough of the footy consistently to be a reliable midfield presence. His game against GWS was a stand-out. He's not playing badly at the moment, but he's not often enough in our best 4-5 players especially when the likes of Wines, Boak and Gray are having poor days.

Hope so. I just don't get a feel for how much SPP will improve. Is he ever going to get enough of the footy consistently to be a reliable midfield presence. His game against GWS was a stand-out. He's not playing badly at the moment, but he's not often enough in our best 4-5 players especially when the likes of Wines, Boak and Gray are having poor days.
I don’t know I can still see SPP having a breakout season like Dusty 2017. Obviously very hard to get to that level but I’ve just got a good feeling about him.

Ladhams is basically Dean Cox without the ruckwork

Yep. But there's no reason why he can't develop his ruckwork. And there's also no reason why he can't compete strongly and at least make the opposition ruckman's life more difficult than he did the other night. He can be better than that and he has to be better than that.

Ladhams will be alright. If given the choice between a 22yo Ladhams who already has the ability to find the ball albeit with very rudimentary ruck craft, and 22yo Matt Lobbe who couldn't get more than 5 possessions if playing against an under 18 side, I'd take Ladhams every day of the week.

Hayes is the one I don't understand. Every game I've seen him play at SANFL, he has impressed me. He looks like an extremely natural footballer, a good tap ruckman (better than Ladhams), a good contested mark, and a tough competitor at ground level too. I understand his endurance might be a problem, but it astonishes me that he hasn't been talked about by anyone from the club as being an option at AFL level.

You had me until you said “we need guys with fast hands like Ollie, Rocky, Boak or Robbie”.
The only mids with fast hands on our list are Drew, Butters and Rozee.

They're fast hands just inaccurate most of the time. The guys I named are good at getting a quick ball out though and are basically never tackled to ground with the ball. I dont mind the guys you named though either, all have pretty good hands in tight too - especially drew if hes fit.

The AFL advises the Match Review of last night’s Melbourne v Port Adelaide match has been completed. One charge was laid.

Charge Laid:

Clayton Oliver, Melbourne, has been charged with Striking Peter Ladhams, Port Adelaide, during the second quarter of the Round Nine match between Melbourne and Port Adelaide, played at the Gabba on Thursday July 30.
in summary he can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct with Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $1500 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.

1596176249290.png

5f2410116c76ce146195868717c7616f

Clearly needs to work on his ruck contests, but jeez he really gave English a workout tonight. In many ways he creates a pseudo plus one at the contest such is his style once the ball hits the deck. Awesome to see him kick a goal.

Question now is how do you balance Ladhams and Lycett in the same side? I know you'd have to take out Westhoff, but I still am not convinced that Ladhams would be best off as the 2nd ruck, simply because he offers the most in the contest.

Certainly worth developing. Another year under his belt and i think he will be potentially pushing Lycett for the #1 ruck job anyway.

Having Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes all in the squad right now reminds me of when we had Primus, Brogan and Lade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gave him a bake after the Saints game but he’s building nicely ,great experience for him these games , showed he could be a potential forward threat as well . Well done to the young fella

He's getting there! Started badly tonight (1-6 hitouts to advantage in q1) but worked into the game and started to focus more on just neutralizing the tapwork I thought.

Biggest improvement by far though was he took some marks! Still hasnt quite figured out how to be a tall target to force a contest but at least with dixon, georgiades, and hoff we haven't needed that too much.

Still a lot to improve but he should be happy with that game. Very impressive steps forward

Who here wouldn’t pay $1000 to elbow Clayton Oliver in the face?

That would be to Clayton's benefit.

He has a head that needs regular panel-beating. Why reward him?

Last edited:
Thought his goal at the end of the third was very important. We’d dominated the quarter but hadn’t quite reflected it on the score. Just gave us that breathing space that ended out being pretty decisive. A very cool kick when more seasoned heads sprayed some easy goals.

Tim English is considered probably the most talented up and coming young ruckman at the moment. Ladhams smashed him tonight.

32 hitouts, 18 touches, importantly 5 clearances (second best for us) and an important goal.

Great game after having 2 pretty tough assignments in recent weeks.
What pick did we get Ladhams at?

Thought his goal at the end of the third was very important. We’d dominated the quarter but hadn’t quite reflected it on the score. Just gave us that breathing space that ended out being pretty decisive. A very cool kick when more seasoned heads sprayed some easy goals.

Never even looked like missing, hit it so sweetly.

He's still basically a giant midfielder. If he ever develops his ruckwork and becomes stronger around the contest, he's literally going to be Dean Cox.

Has been my favourite player since Billy left and has proven to show what he can do. Will be great to see him evolve as a player over time, considering he’s a similar age to Marshall and SPP.