News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Ladhams has been a handy marking and crumbing target in the forward line at sanfl level as he has learned his ruck craft. Could easily fill a forward pocket and provide a forward line presence with his height, marking, set shot and mobility.

He worked his way into the ruck contest really well, eventually wearing down English. He ended up getting a lot of hitouts, but a lot of those were not to advantage, in fact often straight to WB mids. The ability to remain calm as you go in for the tap, know where your mids are & where they are moving to, and just as important, knowing where the oppo mids are ... will take time, experience, and confidence.

He has shown enough to know he will get there for sure! The bonus is how good he is around the ground, in a pack, with a groundball. Potential to be an elite ruckman IMO

Sundry Info:
Tim English - pick #19 (1st round) of 2016 draft .... Played 44 games
Pete Ladhams - pick 9 in the rookie draft .... Played 5 games

Brilliant work by our recruiting team!

Clearly needs to work on his ruck contests, but jeez he really gave English a workout tonight. In many ways he creates a pseudo plus one at the contest such is his style once the ball hits the deck. Awesome to see him kick a goal.

Question now is how do you balance Ladhams and Lycett in the same side? I know you'd have to take out Westhoff, but I still am not convinced that Ladhams would be best off as the 2nd ruck, simply because he offers the most in the contest.

Certainly worth developing. Another year under his belt and i think he will be potentially pushing Lycett for the #1 ruck job anyway.

Having Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes all in the squad right now reminds me of when we had Primus, Brogan and Lade.

A veteran of all of 8 games too.
What were the stats for Grundy, Gawn, English, Goldstein, et al in their 8th AFL game?

My lad speaks to Pistol at Xmas when a lot of the guys from the area, and a lot who went to school together, catch up for a bevo and a chat.
Told him when he sees him this year to say he was there to see his "breakout" game ;):cool:

Ladhams has been a handy marking and crumbing target in the forward line at sanfl level as he has learned his ruck craft. Could easily fill a forward pocket and provide a forward line presence with his height, marking, set shot and mobility.
He should get the Marshall role, not Hoff.

Just has to play 3rd tall fwd and 2nd ruck over Westhoff when Lycett returns.

If there was ever a passing of the torch, Hoff>Ladhams, R.Gray>Butters and Ebert>Woodcock last night. Obviously there will be teething issues yet, but a new dawn is just about to shine.

Love him or loath him, Hinkley has this list in a great shape to attack the 20’s, we could easily be on the cusp of a Dynasty, still with so much talent to enter the scene. Burgman, Williams, Hayes, Mead. Drew to stamp himself.

If there was ever a passing of the torch, Hoff>Ladhams, R.Gray>Butters and Ebert>Woodcock last night. Obviously there will be teething issues yet, but a new dawn is just about to shine.

Love him or loath him, Hinkley has this list in a great shape to attack the 20’s, we could easily be on the cusp of a Dynasty, still with so much talent to enter the scene. Burgman, Williams, Hayes, Mead. Drew to stamp himself.
I actually thought that was just about Gray's best game of the season - saw some hints of mojo return, but broadly agree.

Edit: providing we get a new coach within 12 months.

Last edited:
Ladhams was very good last night his first game raised some questions but he was at home in last nights game. Very hard to replace him imo.
Headaches for Kern.

I actually thought that was just about Gray's best game of the season - saw some hints of mojo return, but broadly agree.

Edit: providing we get a new coach within 12 months.
Im not saying Grey was bad, but even the dream team knew the torch had passed from Magic and Bird to MJ. They still played and won Gold, but it was Michaels time.

As soon as Pete kicked his first goal tonight, two rucks experiment:

great-success-22.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim English is largely regarded as the best young ruck in the league. Ladhams is a year younger and won that battle last week. If he was a ruck for a Victorian club my word the whole AFL would say he's a superstar already.

First game as a forward/ruck and my word it worked. We have gone from having a bunch of short people in the forward line to a three prong tall forward attack. How you fit young Marshall into this side now is such a good problem to have!