News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

From no available rucks to too many rucks in just a few years.

I'm a Ryder fan but I think the smart thing to do would be to let him go. He can't have much more than a season left in him and still needs to be managed. It makes sense to persist with the trio of Lycett, Ladhams and Hayes.

4 years at $400k, just pay the kid!
I'm expecting an offer of something like 2 years at 250k, it gives him a chance to try and cement himself post Ryder. If he does then he'll get a much bigger payrise.

I would have Boak level respect for Peter if he stays with port. The amount of clubs that would be offering him the world right now would be crazy.

If he stays I’m sorry Hayes but Ladhams is the next number 1 ruck

Seeing a lot of hyperbole surrounding Hayes potential, he’s only had half a season of exposed form before doing his knee. Right now i’d be betting on Ladhams being the better of the two

Seeing a lot of hyperbole surrounding Hayes potential, he’s only had half a season of exposed form before doing his knee. Right now i’d be betting on Ladhams being the better of the two

Ladhams was borderline delist material last year. They've both got a limited amount of exposed form.

Yep. This is exactly how we lost Polec. Make our best offer now and get him signed up before someone else makes an offer better than our best one.

Did Polec turn out the way the club wanted it to?
Im wondering if Port are setting him up as trade?
One year (if this is true?) seems an invitation to other clubs to make offers?

This situation is a great example of why we should always have five ruckman developing on our list. Competition for spots, plenty of options and ruckman are always a valuable commodity come trading time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryder - 31
Lycett - 26
Ladhams - 21
Hayes - 20

In five years:

Lycett - 31
Ladhams - 26 (will be a free agent in four years - time spent on a rookie list counts)
Hayes - 25 (free agent)

I’m all for giving him two years, but the facts are that Hayes has shown more and is the better player. It’s like West Coast with Naitanui and Lycett - one of them was always going to go.

Now, if Hayes can develop into a great forward/ruck, that’s a different story. Which is why I’m giving him two years.

If he wants to go for game time there’s nothing you can do but get the best deal for him. No pick swaps - players only.

Honestly I just think if we are getting big offers we should strongly consider them. I do think it would have to form part of a bold strategy at the trade table, throwing other surplus players around as well (Atley, SPP, Lienert, DBJ, Bonner spring to mind) in order to land big targets. If we had a trade period where we simply straight swapped Ladhams for pick 20 then that would be disastrous but if we use him and other draft capital/depth players to improve our forward line or midfield in both the short and long term I'd be stoked.

I'm thinking something like landing Lukosius and Fantasia while still improving our draft position, and losing Ladhams, Atley, Ryder and Bonner or something. Maybe landing a huge target like Coniglio.

The fact is we have surplus ruckman right now, and we have to move some of them on. Whether that's this year or in a couple, whether its Ryder, Frampton or Hayes, whether we opt to trade out a forward like Marshall or Frampton instead, that's all up for debate, but we should absolutely be cashing in IMO. We know we aren't trading out Lycett, and we know he will most likely be our number one ruck for at the minimum another 2 years and he could even improve on his current form and hold that spot for 6 years. Yes Ladhams could become a superstar in 2 years and give us 8 years of being the number one, but he could also fall of a cliff and become the next Lobbe. Maybe its a bit too early to make that call, but if we can force another club to pay through the nose for him then we can put that risk onto them, and aim to improve our best 22 immediately.

It might just be that clubs are only willing to offer a second rounder or some s**t, and then I'd only really consider it if it was the last of a series of trades that would get a huge deal over the line, but to me it looks like a seller's market where we can name our price. I'd absolutely be trading out Ryder as well FWIW, unless he hits career best form in the second half of the year which I seriously, seriously doubt will happen.

Ladhams update: Has offers from the Crows and at least one other club in front of him that are worth more than what Port are currently offering him. But he wants to stay at Port. Just waiting on the club to come to the party with their contract offer.

Very clearly showed that we have a great future in terms of ruckmen.

Lycett to be No.1 for a few more years with Ladhams deputising, then Hayes will slowly work his way into the side once Lycett is too old.

I'm hoping he can develop his game as a forward. I think he has the tools, but currently he looks best suited to being a number one ruck with the ability to pay as an extra midfielder. Slyce is pure ruck and Hayes could be a good ruck forward. Unfortunately Paddy has to go and I think Slyce will be third in line in 2 years.