Room for improvement

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 13, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
We were so close to making the big dance last year. To continue to improve and evolve as a team, a group of players need to improve or take the next step.
Here's my thoughts on who has scope to give another 5% or more...
Ginnivan- if he has a great preseason, and the new forward set up works he'll shine.
McCreery- get the miles into his piston legs. He'll run them down and kick goals.
Naicos- we all know his potential. Unbelievable.
Jaicos- proud bugger. Is forging his own path, and he'll get better as he works his backside off.
Q - Bigger. Gunna hunt opposition and break tackles. Interception marking should improve.
Lapinski- 2nd year in and he'll get better.
Please feel free to make your own list...
Carn the Pies

It is easy to be positive about new recruits before they take the field but my take is we can potentially field a balanced side. We have added strength to the inside, a talented outside with the ability to deliver good ball into the forward line and a forward line with options in the air and ground. Our back line has added depth and height to what was a solid outfit. My theory is the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and in this case that would be the improvement.

It is easy to be positive about new recruits before they take the field but my take is we can potentially field a balanced side. We have added strength to the inside, a talented outside with the ability to deliver good ball into the forward line and a forward line with options in the air and ground. Our back line has added depth and height to what was a solid outfit. My theory is the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and in this case that would be the improvement.
All sound comments.

The overriding impression I have is a side that is capable of transitioning from the chaos ball forward entry into the surgical entry.

Not totally one or the other but a mixture of skills and personnel that is capable of adjusting on the fly.

It won't happen overnight but the potential is there and towards the end of this coming season our game plan could be quite different.

It's pretty well balanced

4 veterans
6 moving out of their prime
9 in their prime
8 moving into their prime
and a few pearlers amongst the kids

32-35 yrs (Vets)
Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Howe
Cox

29-30 yrs (leaving prime)
Crisp
Elliott
Mitchell
Mihocek
Adams
WHE

25-28 yrs (Prime)
Moore
De Goey
Maynard
McStay
Cameron
Frampton
Johnson
Noble
Wilson

23-24 yrs (Approaching prime)
Lipinski
Quaynor
J Daicos
Kreuger
Hill
Murphy
Richards
Carmichael

18-22 yrs (Kids)
N Daicos
Ginnivan
McCreery
Dean
Macrea
Ruscoe
Draper
McInnes
Harrison
Kelly
Bianco
Begg
Murley
Allan
Ryan

Last edited:
I have to agree. The additions have been strategic. The existing players are mostly trending up. The worry for me is the extent to which we relied on Pendlebury last year. I thought he was at the end already, but he showed how much I know. He can't keep doing it forever though. Likewise, Sidebottom recalled his best days, but there can't be too may more of them. I can see Daicos as the Pendlebury replacement, but don't see one for Sidebottom.
If there are not too many injuries to important players, we should be OK, but I can't believe there will be another season like 2022. We have to be ready to face some failures along the way as opposition coaches stifle our attacking moves. I'm sure a lot of thought has already gone into that.

Players who are best 22 who can go to another level

Ginnivan. Fantastic 1st 2 seasons. We havent had anyone kick 40+ goals in the H&A since Trav. Ginny will go between 40-50 in 23 and be our star forward

De Goey. Love him but he can be more. 2023 he plays a whole season fit and becomes near best in comp

Nick D. Will step into the midfield and then stay there. Will be better than he was in 22

Quaynor. Will become one of the best attacking HBs in 23 plenty of excitement

Players outside the 22

Reef. If he is fit for 23 he csn push someone out

Allen. He will play senior footy in 23 and hopefullt 10+ games. Will be past almost all the 2nd and 3rd year players come season end

These are the players i am most confident of improving

It's not about individual players on the list but the list as a whole and the diversity of options that gives us.

Of course the opposition coaches will have worked out our version of the chaos ball but really it was only a stopgap measure from the start.

Our list is now capable of more than run and roost it.

Interesting times ahead.

The overriding impression I have is a side that is capable of transitioning from the chaos ball forward entry into the surgical ....
Wouldn't that be heaven. For a decade of searching for another way for a few years, even one, I would like to watch a team that can gain possession and use it in a way that highlights the best of Aussie football.
GC is right, this is the year for JDG to set the world alight.

Wouldn't that be heaven. For a decade of searching for another way for a few years, even one, I would like to watch a team that can gain possession and use it in a way that highlights the best of Aussie football.
GC is right, this is the year for JDG to set the world alight.
He needs to he's been teasing us forever, has always had IT but never produced enough of it when it counted.

But even if he does light it up he's far from dragging us over the line, in these times no one player can make that much of a difference.

The list is the thing, without the raw material for a resilient and adaptable team you are vulnerable to opposition tacticians dismantling your advantage - I'm sure you remember 2011 as vividly as I do.

No team that relies on a single play style is invulnerable - 2011 proved that conclusively.

But if the list has the capability to remain fluid and focused whilst in trouble then you have something.

Something above the cycle of imposed rebuilding and rebuilding . . .

You have a generational club capable of renewing itself before it needs to - keeping itself one step ahead of the competition

And hopefully - from my point of view at least - capable of exposing the hypocrisy of the AFL and their corporate owners.

We were so close to making the big dance last year. To continue to improve and evolve as a team, a group of players need to improve or take the next step.
Here's my thoughts on who has scope to give another 5% or more...
Ginnivan- if he has a great preseason, and the new forward set up works he'll shine.
McCreery- get the miles into his piston legs. He'll run them down and kick goals.
Naicos- we all know his potential. Unbelievable.
Jaicos- proud bugger. Is forging his own path, and he'll get better as he works his backside off.
Q - Bigger. Gunna hunt opposition and break tackles. Interception marking should improve.
Lapinski- 2nd year in and he'll get better.
Please feel free to make your own list...
Carn the Pies
I feel like our improvement will come from greater consistency from Degoey, and more from Cox, Kreuger, McStay and Mihocek

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Team/Opp differentials we ranked:
17th for Contested Possession
16th for Centre Clearances
14th for Stoppage Clearance.
Its no coincidence that when we evened up CP against against Melb ( who rank #1 on CP), we over ran them.

If we can improve these areas, I think we take the next step, and that's without considering the impact of Mitchell, Hill and McStay.

In Team/Opp differentials we ranked:
17th for Contested Possession
16th for Centre Clearances
14th for Stoppage Clearance.
Its no coincidence that when we evened up CP against against Melb ( who rank #1 on CP), we over ran them.

If we can improve these areas, I think we take the next step, and that's without considering the impact of Mitchell, Hill and McStay.
These stats reflect our game style & is indicative of the way the Tigers play as well. Fly coming to us with years of tiger IP, so it makes sense.

For instance the 3 years the tigers won flags are as follows for centre clearances
2017 - 13th of 18 teams
2019 - 18th of 18 teams
2020 - 17th of 18 teams

Yet for intercepts we have the following for the Tigers
2017 - 1st of 18 teams
2019 - 3rd of 18 teams
2020 - 1st of 18 teams

The leading intercept team of 2021? Demons who were premiers.
The leading intercept team in 2022? Magpies

These stats reflect our game style & is indicative of the way the Tigers play as well. Fly coming to us with years of tiger IP, so it makes sense.

For instance the 3 years the tigers won flags are as follows for centre clearances
2017 - 13th of 18 teams
2019 - 18th of 18 teams
2020 - 17th of 18 teams

Yet for intercepts we have the following for the Tigers
2017 - 1st of 18 teams
2019 - 3rd of 18 teams
2020 - 1st of 18 teams

The leading intercept team of 2021? Demons who were premiers.
The leading intercept team in 2022? Magpies
All true - and Fly has also acknowledged our stoppages and clearances need work.

I have to agree. The additions have been strategic. The existing players are mostly trending up. The worry for me is the extent to which we relied on Pendlebury last year. I thought he was at the end already, but he showed how much I know. He can't keep doing it forever though. Likewise, Sidebottom recalled his best days, but there can't be too may more of them. I can see Daicos as the Pendlebury replacement, but don't see one for Sidebottom.
If there are not too many injuries to important players, we should be OK, but I can't believe there will be another season like 2022. We have to be ready to face some failures along the way as opposition coaches stifle our attacking moves. I'm sure a lot of thought has already gone into that.
I reckon Richards has the potential to be the Sidebottom replacement. Good skills on both sides. Excellent speed. Knows where the goals are and can crumb up
forward too

I reckon Richards has the potential to be the Sidebottom replacement. Good skills on both sides. Excellent speed. Knows where the goals are and can crumb up
forward too
He is definitely in the mix , along with Carmichael. Noble , Draper , Allan , all good 2 way runners ,maybe even Bobby Hill , Sidey”s spot is up for grabs , sooner than we think.

Elite tank? And not sure he can play wing.
He’s been playing as a midfielder in the O and M. League. I know it’s not AFL standard of course but he describes him sad a mid and a forward. Strangely he’ll probably play in the backline for the Pies. At least initially

Having watched last season again (a not unpleasant experience) and read the training reports, I am so much more optimistic about the coming season than I was this time last year. If the team can retain the dare that dragged it over the line so many times, while improving it's stoppage performance, we should be nicely competitive. The recruiting has given us solid tall forwards and backs to complement what we already had. Mitchell should be a great addition, unless the recruiters have badly misjudged where his football is.

The inevitable decline of Pendlebury and Sidebottom should at least be covered by the additions. Hoskin-Elliott could perhaps fill Sidebottom's role as he falls away. We Expect Daicos to do the same for Pendlebury. If the team retains the confidence that it developed as a unit last year, the sky is the limit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back