Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

From our 'bst friend' Nick:

"NORTH Melbourne has lodged detailed plans for a $10 million redevelopment of its Arden St headquarters that will transform its home ground into a match-ready venue ahead of the club's entry into the AFLW in 2019.

The Kangaroos' proposed redevelopment will include:

• Two team change rooms
  • Umpires change rooms
  • Expanded warm-up areas
  • Coach's boxes
  • A media box
  • Medical facilities
  • Office space for the club's new AFLW and VFL staff.
Most of the new facilities will be housed in a two-storey extension that will be built on a vacant concrete slab adjacent to North's administration and training centre, while the coach's boxes and media box will be positioned in the existing building so they are near the wing.

A scoreboard and interchange benches will also be installed around the ground, along with improved lighting so the Roos' AFLW and VFL teams can train at night.

North recently lodged its redevelopment plans with the Melbourne City Council and is hoping the council will consider them at one of its scheduled December meetings.

North CEO Carl Dilena told AFL.com.au that if the club's plans were approved, works were expected to commence by April next year and to be completed by January 2019, in readiness for the Kangaroos' inaugural season in the AFLW.

Dilena was excited to be one step closer to watching North's AFLW team play at Arden St Oval and said the redevelopment would bind the club even more closely to its local community.

And with the population of that community set to explode as the Victorian Government moves to transform the traditionally industrial precincts of Macaulay and Arden into largely residential ones, Dilena says the club has a gilt-edged opportunity.

"The government is creating a massive residential suburb on our doorstep which is really exciting and is also a really big incentive for us to make sure we get the ground into a great position and we get the club positioned well too," Dilena said.

"We want to get our three-team model working within the club in an expanded facility, in an area where there's going to be massive growth over the next 10 years.

"We'll then look with the government and other planners at the broader precinct in terms of making sporting and recreational hubs for the area.

"The years ahead offer a once-in-a-generation opportunity and are really exciting"

North's redevelopment would be the first step in what it hopes will be a large-scale revamp that would transform its base into the biggest inner-city training complex in Melbourne.

AFL.com.au reported in May that the Kangaroos had submitted plans to the government in which its Arden St home's footprint would grow from 4.5ha to 11.2ha and would be upgraded to include:

• An indoor centre with a large synthetic oval
  • A second indoor centre with four multi-use hard courts
  • An indoor aquatic centre with a 50m pool
  • An outdoor synthetic oval with lighting
  • A café and other shops
The Kangaroos' plan was submitted in response to the government's proposed $7 billion redevelopment of Arden."
The link is http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-11-22/roos-lodge-plans-for-massive-arden-st-upgrade.

Mods - I couldn't find an earlier thread; feel free to merge.
Great news. But you sure don't get much for $10 mil these days do you.

I notice there's no mention of pokies. 7 of my 689 mates bag me that NM are a small irrelevant franchise. But as I keep pointing out to them, that's only because we don't drink from the poisoned chalice.

Who cares whether we have on-field success, as long as we don't succumb to temptation ala Adam at the dawn of time. What was he thinking? And all for an apple??? Fair enough if it was a tin of chocolate Quik or an American pizza or some Plat-o-Pops, but an apple??? And that's why I'm not in favour of re-locating to Tassie - AKA the Apple Mile. Being a hard-core theologian, I bloody despise apples.

Been hearing good things around ye traps about this "going forward".

I reckon we're getting a result on this.

On the whole thing? I understand there's the upgrade for the AFLW team but the whole plan would be a huge result!

I think it will be done in stages. But I've heard very promising things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question. Where is the $10 mill coming from?

Mixture of us, AFL and lots and lots of State Govt.

See the later stages of the article about State Govt master plan for the region. That's where the real cashola at.

My waters are feeling pleasingly warm on that one too, like I've pissed myself on a cold day.

We had a nice grandstand and change rooms and they pulled it down! Now my marriage has lasted longer than the social club where I was married.

Great to see the ground redevelopment. Look forward to watching a game or two there again in due course. Hard to watch the AFLW but would love to see the VFL team playing there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back