Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon it is going to be a year that's as awful onfield as any of us have seen apart from the real old fans. I'm mid 40s and never seen a wooden spoon.

Suspect I might this year.

That said, I reckon I might also see something I've never experienced either - North having immovable financial foundations in Melbourne.

Via what's happening at Arden Street. Long term revenue generating stuff at Arden Street.

I’m 50 this year, so was alive for ‘72, but being 1, it’s a bit hazy. So yeah, I may see my first . Importantly it seems the club has realised that not running last is not a way to measure success .

I’m 50 this year, so was alive for ‘72, but being 1, it’s a bit hazy. So yeah, I may see my first . Importantly it seems the club has realised that not running last is not a way to measure success .

Yep, this. We can't just survive and hope.

I had seen 4 by the time I was 16. Seemed like every other year in those days. But what doesn’t count is the other years only one or two places above that. Equalisation has its critics but in those days it was bloody hard to drag your way up the ladder when the whole framework was massively unequal.

Yep, this. We can't just survive and hope.

Given we’re now financially stable, we can do this.

This is the first time since I first realised there were finances in footy (about 1989), that we’re in a good spot and getting better.

This is the first time since I first realised there were finances in footy (about 1989), that we’re in a good spot and getting better.

The question I have is if we can maintain it without selling games. The juxtaposition being that selling home games hurts our rusted on North Melbourne membership but also keeps the club financially viable.

Yeah, we've done generational hard work to get to this spot.

But really, it is only just getting us a seat at the table.

Now we have to deliver onfield.

The question I have is if we can maintain it without selling games. The juxtaposition being that selling home games hurts our rusted on North Melbourne membership but also keeps the club financially viable.

Yep, the paradox. We're a Melbourne club, we should play in Melbourne only imo.

I wonder what the membership number needs to be for us to not have to look for revenue elsewhere?
Fair question. I've heard various figures, but I'll assume that we make $4M from our four games. I'm also not sure what revenue we get from memberships, both directly and from on-selling merchandise and raffle tickets. My wild guess is that membership might have to double, and that they'll still be a shortfall to be made up from sponsorship. Very happy to be corrected.

I wonder what the membership number needs to be for us to not have to look for revenue elsewhere?

50K I reckon

However, I don't mind selling 1/2 games - should never have left Ballarat.

Other major issue that would help is the stadium deal - we still have a crap deal I believe?? That getting fixed under AFL ownership would be massive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50K I reckon

However, I don't mind selling 1/2 games - should never have left Ballarat.

Other major issue that would help is the stadium deal - we still have a crap deal I believe?? That getting fixed under AFL ownership would be massive.

Crazy that the afl is still holding clubs to the contracts now that it’s owned by the clubs.

Given that Hawthorn has more or less double our members and they still sell 4 games to Tasmania, I don't think the answer lies in membership numbers.

I’m just coming from this as a simple person who doesn’t understand legality, contracts etc, but considering the AFL is purely an organisation to govern the clubs, because the clubs commissioned it, with the amount of money the AFL generates shouldn’t they just allocate all revenue (outside of growing the game) back to each club. I can’t understand why the AFL is a for profit organisation.

Of course, Ballarat was not selling games. No-one was putting up the cash to play games at Ballarat so it's not really comparable.
I think playing Marvel was costing us $100k though. So Ballarat with a couple of food vans, which I believe pay you to get into events, would be a cheaper option. I don’t know if we could put up temporary advertising to make a bit more as well.

I think playing Marvel was costing us $100k though. So Ballarat with a couple of food vans, which I believe pay you to get into events, would be a cheaper option. I don’t know if we could put up temporary advertising to make a bit more as well.

Yep - it was beneficial in other ways with a stadium on the cards to build an income in the future

I think we need 27k+ to make one dollar at Marvel and they schedule Port, Freo, GC there so we get 20k of luck and it costs us a fortune.

It's currently dying a slow death anyway.

A member backlash is required.

Not saying don't speak your mind, but yelling into the void achieves nothing. Nada, zilch.

Right now there is something on the ABC about North Melbourne, some restoration show - its about people renovating the old gasworks control building I think. A lot of talk about the history of the place and about us from the 30 seconds I saw.

Right now there is something on the ABC about North Melbourne, some restoration show - its about people renovating the old gasworks control building I think. A lot of talk about the history of the place and about us from the 30 seconds I saw.
watched that recently i think - good piece about the club but nothing newsworthy

watched that recently i think - good piece about the club but nothing newsworthy
Its more that it was there at all. Its a good thing tho given that couple's reno fits with the general redevelopment and the club is featured as part of the area's historical value.

Makes a change from Tassie s**t.

Its more that it was there at all. Its a good thing tho given that couple's reno fits with the general redevelopment and the club is featured as part of the area's historical value.

Makes a change from Tassie sh*t.
I didn’t see it, but there’s a real danger that with this redevelopment all the old buildings are pulled down and replaced with modern high rise stuff. It will be a tragedy if it happens.

I didn’t see it, but there’s a real danger that with this redevelopment all the old buildings are pulled down and replaced with modern high rise stuff. It will be a tragedy if it happens.
That won't happen with this place in the show. The old gasworks is sposed to look like it always did but its renovated into a home inside. Very gentrified but its still the old building. Tho I didn't watch the whole thing.

I’m just coming from this as a simple person who doesn’t understand legality, contracts etc, but considering the AFL is purely an organisation to govern the clubs, because the clubs commissioned it, with the amount of money the AFL generates shouldn’t they just allocate all revenue (outside of growing the game) back to each club. I can’t understand why the AFL is a for profit organisation.

My understanding is the AFL (like the clubs) is classified as a not for profit.

The issue with the AFL is that it has 2 main roles:
  • Managing the Australian Football League competition
  • The 'Keeper of the code' for Australian Rules Football
Unfortunately often one role conflicts with the other since something that maybe good for the sport as a whole goes against what is best for the AFL competition. Ideally these two roles would be split out and a separate organisation would be the 'keeper of the code' with its own charter and accountability (separate from the AFL) but the challenge is it would always be dependent on the AFL for funding so any independence would always be hard to maintain

My understanding is the AFL (like the clubs) is classified as a not for profit.

The issue with the AFL is that it has 2 main roles:
  • Managing the Australian Football League competition
  • The 'Keeper of the code' for Australian Rules Football
Unfortunately often one role conflicts with the other since something that maybe good for the sport as a whole goes against what is best for the AFL competition. Ideally these two roles would be split out and a separate organisation would be the 'keeper of the code' with its own charter and accountability (separate from the AFL) but the challenge is it would always be dependent on the AFL for funding so any independence would always be hard to maintain

Keeper of the code goes out the window when compared to having a strong competition. I hope the clubs get to employ an independent consultant/audit to go through the books every year to see where the money actually goes. It’s too much money without enough accountability for someone not to be on the take somewhere imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back