Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Snake - do you regard the time that an AFL CEO spends, cultivating new sponsors and keeping existing sponsors happy, a wasteful indulgence or a necessity required to keep that club afloat?

What is the relevance of this question?

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
What is the relevance of this question?
Obtaining sponsorship is money for the club and enables its continuing existence,

I agree with your statement "The CEO's job is to institute policy to WIN games of football. In fact, that's their ONLY task." I'm trying to understand whether you regard obtaining funding for the club to be part of a CEO's role.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Obtaining sponsorship is money for the club and enables its continuing existence,

I agree with your statement "The CEO's job is to institute policy to WIN games of football. In fact, that's their ONLY task." I'm trying to understand whether you regard obtaining funding for the club to be part of a CEO's role.

Yes, I just don't see what relevance this has to the point I am making.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It seems as tho you are having a go at our CEO because he isn't doing this. Is that right?

ferball, you constantly take me out of context, and I can't be bothered with the continual overt explaining or backtracking to correct a runaway concept that goes with dealing with you.

It's not personal mate, i'm not claiming anyone's "better" than anyone else, we're just on different wavelengths as far as conveying discussion on the internet is concerned.

ferball, you constantly take me out of context, and I can't be bothered with the continual overt explaining or backtracking to correct a runaway concept that goes with dealing with you.

It's not personal mate, i'm not claiming anyone's "better" than anyone else, we're just on different wavelengths as far as conveying discussion on the internet is concerned.
So long as you are aware that after cutting spending so severely this season and keeping ourselves in a good financial position we took on a new sponsor and afterward were able to employ more footy dept staff. All of that is down to the CEO.

Just received an email update on the Draft Arden Structure Plan. Lots of blah blah blah, spin heavy planning/marketing bullshit jargon, as you’d expect. Generally goes on about recognising the industrial and indigenous heritage of the area, of the importance of being inclusive to people of different cultures etc. This is something that a certain 151 yr old football club that was completely ignored by the initial draft plan does pretty damn well. At least they now acknowledge that the club does exist and that people are interested in its role as part of the development.
04535BF2-2EE8-4AD2-817E-3BB15F6C3796.jpeg
FA3057D5-F220-4763-AA4B-52E00580AE09.png

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just received an email update on the Draft Arden Structure Plan. Lots of blah blah blah, spin heavy planning/marketing bullshit jargon, as you’d expect. Generally goes on about recognising the industrial and indigenous heritage of the area, of the importance of being inclusive to people of different cultures etc. This is something that a certain 151 yr old football club that was completely ignored by the initial draft plan does pretty damn well. At least they now acknowledge that the club does exist and that people are interested in its role as part of the development.
View attachment 1063160View attachment 1063161

So this is a good thing yes?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It appears to me that all this bullshit focusing on this "precinct" is about ensuring the developers & council acknowledge the footy club as a cultural mainstay of the area.

It's about survive, not thrive.

If they are parading 50 written submissions and 450 survey responses as a positive community consultation then the club need to organise a targeted response. There’s one more opportunity for the community to have input, if they had 200 written responses requesting space for two more ovals and a social club I would hope it might get some traction.

The CEO's job is to institute policy to WIN games of football.

In fact, that's their ONLY task.

The NMFC members have been spun irrelevant bullshit for far too long.
When you talk football you come across as a reasonably intelligent, knowledgeable person but when you stray off the footy field you come across as Bob Katter's mad(der) uncle.

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So this is a good thing yes?
Yes.

The initial plan barely mentioned NMFC and didn't contain any of the submissions put forward by the club.

Feedback from community has questioned the validity of the plan and reinforced the perception that the club is an important part of the fabric of North Melbourne. That the VPA has included this feedback in the update indicates to me that they will address this in updated plans. If there was little desire to do so they would have minimised its inclusion.

Things are very much heading in the right direction.

Good stuff to all those who have been putting in time and effort on this one.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When you talk football you come across as a reasonably intelligent, knowledgeable person but when you stray off the footy field you come across as Bob Katter's mad(der) uncle.

What's so yokel about declaring that a football boards objective is to put out a successful football side?

It's about as common sense as it gets.

What's so yokel about declaring that a football boards objective is to put out a successful football side?

It's about as common sense as it gets.
A boards objective should be to build a successful football club, the head of the football department inside that club should be responsible for building a successful football side. Makes more sense to me.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
A boards objective should be to build a successful football club, the head of the football department inside that club should be responsible for building a successful football side. Makes more sense to me.

There is no "successful football club" without a successful football team. Period.

Correct.

Which is why we have been in no mans land for 20 years.
Sorry, should have written "without a successful club".

Too many thing going at once to pay full attention to what I'm writing.

Back