Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Close to transport.

My understanding was that they had to be as close to the airport as possible, as some of the "supplements" have to be used before Border Control finds the packaging.

15000 new residents, kids growing up with the North Melbourne footy club front and centre right on the front doorstep and traffic through the door on a daily basis.

Now that is playing the long game.

******* awesome.

Really good news for the club.

I know some were expecting some big news re stands, etc, but that was never the plan nor really feasible. These new plans give us supporting infrastructure, a larger local population to engage with over the next decade and an additional ground to use to support the club’s other squads. The club deserves full credit for getting something out of nothing, including Sonja and the other staff/admin that made it happen.

I am really stoked to hear this great news and I think it’s such a massive improvement to the original plans. Well done to North and all those that have campaigned long and hard to extend our foot print and cement us in North Melbourne.
I don’t get the negativity around this. But hey some people are only happy when it rains.
I think this current administration is best in business and leads the industry on so many fronts. Attacks on characters and people who are obviously pouring their heart and soul is piss week. I’d like to see those critical of the administration put in 1% of the effort that these warriors are putting in for our great club.
Even though we have had our worse season on field for near on 50 years, I can’t help feel overjoyed by the direction this club is taking, on and off the field. For the first time in a very long time I am wholeheartedly confident that our future is in North Melbourne and nothing or nobody can displace us now.
Well done to the North Melbourne footy club and those that have campaigned for our identity, survival and longevity. I’m a proud paid up member and this news is great news!

I am really stoked to hear this great news and I think it’s such a massive improvement to the original plans. Well done to North and all those that have campaigned long and hard to extend our foot print and cement us in North Melbourne.
I don’t get the negativity around this. But hey some people are only happy when it rains.
I think this current administration is best in business and leads the industry on so many fronts. Attacks on characters and people who are obviously pouring their heart and soul is piss week. I’d like to see those critical of the administration put in 1% of the effort that these warriors are putting in for our great club.
Even though we have had our worse season on field for near on 50 years, I can’t help feel overjoyed by the direction this club is taking, on and off the field. For the first time in a very long time I am wholeheartedly confident that our future is in North Melbourne and nothing or nobody can displace us now.
Well done to the North Melbourne footy club and those that have campaigned for our identity, survival and longevity. I’m a proud paid up member and this news is great news!

Great post!

Mate, I put in 0.0001 per cent of the effort they did by going to some of the community consultations and pushing our case. That took up a few nights of my free time and by the end I'd had a gutful lol.

The work people - unpaid for board members - did on this for years is immense.

Great post!

Mate, I put in 0.0001 per cent of the effort they did by going to some of the community consultations and pushing our case. That took up a few nights of my free time and by the end I'd had a gutful lol.

Thanks mate

Well done on assisting and helping, no matter how small you think that contribution is, it all helps and it does make a difference.
I personally sit on the board of few different groups in regards to renewable energy, policy, investment and standards. It’s a thankless job and a lot of additional work that’s doesn’t pay a single cent. I do it because I care and am passionate about the industry.

Kudos should be given to those who donate their time and expertise to the bigger picture. We should all be grateful that as a club we have these types who have and continue to ‘roll up their sleeves’ and fight the good fight. These efforts should never be criticised.

I often say to those who pot shot and criticise from afar, behind keyboards or on social media, if they think they can do a better job than by all means come and do something, make a change, give a concerted opinion that could lead to improvement, be constructive, be helpful. Generally I get ‘crickets’ as response

I often say to those who pot shot and criticise from afar, behind keyboards or on social media, if they think they can do a better job than by all means come and do something, make a change, give a concerted opinion that could lead to improvement, be constructive, be helpful. Generally I get ‘crickets’ as response

They never do. Weak pricks all of them, happy to sling s**t but go missing when there's work to be done.

Krakouer Bonar

Senior List
Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Fingers crossed that the residential aspect of the development is not hijacked by overseas investors, much like Docklands, the CBD and Southbank.

Looking more positive isn't it but it seems there are 'options' but this picture from the back cover is promising. I cant believe the amount of high rise but not surprised I guess.

View attachment 1234589
Yeah high rises suck. The rest is good tho and that area to the west could bring in alot of money if we robbed it regularly leverage things properly.

Call me a greedy campaigner but I'd much prefer to have atleast our home controlled totally by the club to be utilised as the club sees fit, for the club's best interest and needs.

fu** the community. Go for a picnic elsewhere.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We should be targetting a fair chunk of that community for future memberships. Telling them to * off might not help with that.

Look, until the men's side win a flag none of us going to be truly happy.

That's just a fact.

But jeez, you can be happy about other good news for the club if you let yourself.
If we get everything right we'll be starting to win flags with spectacular players like TT just as this development begins. An extended period of success during that time will really cement us into it all. It would be a feedback loop where the development associates itself with our success on field.

Great post!

I filled in a number of the online surveys. Hopefully it all helped. It seems to me the push for green space was universal whether you’re a footy fan or not. I reckon we benefited from this happening now in a more enlightened time than 20 years ago when they might have focused more on the cash.

What point are you trying to make here?

People getting on their high horses calling out other posters as today being some sort of victory parade are going to be severely disappointed I feel.

The BOQ provisions above are exactly that, for a community sporting field to service the increase in population. Not a second elite training facility.

Severely disappointed with the initial master plan. I'd be lying if I said I was surprised though. Always thought we were going to get shafted given the initial planning submissions basically never mentioned the club.

This is also coming from someone heavily involved with the Arden station development atm also.
So if you are right what things can we do about it?

(Don't say "Nothing".)

This. Seems like some posters are more interested in "told ya so's" then looking at the actual plans.

Can't help but be a little disappointed. The only benefit seems to be a second oval with club rooms to keep the foot traffic off of our oval.

I had hoped for something serious like the Fremantle - Cockburn ARC project with investment from the local governement. Maybe something a little serious like Richmonds rebuild with some seating.

Those calling it a victory are only fooling themselves. The only victory is we are at least mentioned this time. For the amount of money going into the area and the time spent grafting to get something out of it I'd say we are barely at break even.

I expected more for the hard work North puts in to the community.
And what contribution did you make to this? If none, why not?

Thanks for the extra insights. That's a bit of a downer, keen to hear more about this though.
It just comes across as unfathomable as to how/why the club has such a low profile in the planning documents, especially in the visioning piece. It's almost like it was developed by Demetriou/*/Wilson and Associates. Surely you start with the vision of the ministerial launch at Arden Street in a few years with smiling Huddle kids, premiership captain Jy Simpkin and Brownlow Medallist Tarryn Thomas, turning the first sod on a massive new community facility/stadium complex and then work backwards from there.

If you are looking to plan for generational change to an area of the city with a unique attribute of a community-minded AFL club surely you'd be pumping it up and trying to make it a focal point of the plan. I'm sure having an amazing, vibrant hub of a club with all the trimmings smack bang in this precinct is much better for its liveability than lots of fancy water sensitive urban design.

You'd think the developers would love things like boutique stadiums, state of the art sports facilities and a café and pub that you can sip drinks and enjoy nibbles whilst watching the VFL boys or girls playing on a Friday night to draw in future residents. Hopefully our govt liaison person can also schmooze some of those guys too.
I like what you're getting at but you have to get your roots in the ground before you start sprouting pretty flowers.

We're bottom of the ladder. No one outside the club has any idea about Jy being a premiership captain or TT winning the Brownlow. Right now its a long way from where the team stands so hooking that to any proposal seems a bit pre mature. And by its nature footy success is fleeting but all that community engagement stuff isn't cos it goes on in the background all the time.

I'm sure behind closed doors we promote the stuff in the second bit I bolded but lets keep it mum. You don't with every third * supporter dragging themselves out of Moonee ponds ck, evolving actual limbs then writing objection after objection about the development ... and that is more likely to happen if our names are all over it. You can't trust those campaigners.

If we get everything right we'll be starting to win flags with spectacular players like TT just as this development begins. An extended period of success during that time will really cement us into it all. It would be a feedback loop where the development associates itself with our success on field.

Yep, that'd be grouse.

I filled in a number of the online surveys. Hopefully it all helped. It seems to me the push for green space was universal whether you’re a footy fan or not. I reckon we benefited from this happening now in a more enlightened time than 20 years ago when they might have focused more on the cash.

Yeah, we did well there.

Cockburn is also 30 minutes out of the city without traffic, and is really still a developing suburb. You can't compare the two suburbs at all.
Surely we've got some of the most valueable real estate left in the inner city haven't we? If not the most.

Its not some glorified ink pot that's been abandoned on the edge of town.

I agree with you. It would be fantastic.

Our influence in this space appears like an afterthought, in the master planning. (although a master plan is just that, its not detailed)

Im just guessing (hoping), there is a deliberate reason as to why we "seem" so irrelevant to the development.
And that is, we get two purpose built AFL standard grounds, and some infrastructure to support spectators. Wihtout the outrage wed get from the Greenies, to stop it. Thats just specualtion on my part.
Just greenies?

Really good news for the club.

I know some were expecting some big news re stands, etc, but that was never the plan nor really feasible. These new plans give us supporting infrastructure, a larger local population to engage with over the next decade and an additional ground to use to support the club’s other squads. The club deserves full credit for getting something out of nothing, including Sonja and the other staff/admin that made it happen.

The devil is going to be in the detail, some of the strategies haven't been fleshed out. I think worst case scenario it will be a good outcome for the club, depending on how well we do the politics and how we can incorporate the club into the projects, it could be a fantastic outcome for the club.

Back