Certified Legendary Thread Roos lodge plans for massive Arden St upgrade

Met Barassi at a sportsman night once and had a conversation that touched on this very thing (and numerology. He is into it a bit.) He said its absolutely vital for sustained success.
Someone posted an interview with Denis in the media thread last week and he said pretty much the same thing - get the right people off-field and the rest will take care of itself.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just catching up on all of this in detail.

Sounds like a really encouraging outcome.

Will always be battle weary from so many near death experiences as a North supporter but it seems a firm step towards planting our flag at the top of Mt Ardenus for the next century.

Whether you like the individuals or not the upside of a heavily filtered entry process to the board is that you're upping your odds of having a stable, united board. From the outside that looks to be the case for us.

A stable board, admin and management looks to be the platform for any modern club to then go and achieve big things on the field.

It's a little simplistic to say that the aim of the process is just to create a stable, united board. The greater benefit is in being able to cast the net for candidates with required skill sets that complement one another. There would be no point in having all board members exclusively come from investment firms, or advertising agencies, or construction companies, or the legal profession, or government and community services. Just as there would be no point in having all of them be ex-footballers or ex-football administrators as one particularly naive poster seemed to be advocating. However, if you can tap into each of these industries and more for a broad range of experience and skills, then you have a talented board capable of leading the club towards a brighter and more successful future.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It's a little simplistic to say that the aim of the process is just to create a stable, united board.

Except I didn't. I stated it as an "upside" (ie by-product) rather than "aim" or "intention".

That said they have to be using the filter as a means of checking over the social fit of the candidates and their ability to work in with current board members too. I'm sure they do.

No point bringing in someone who ticks all the skills boxes but comes across as a total dickhead.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Except I didn't. I stated it as an "upside" (ie by-product) rather than "aim" or "intention".

That said they have to be using the filter as a means of checking over the social fit of the candidates and their ability to work in with current board members too. I'm sure they do.

No point bringing in someone who ticks all the skills boxes but comes across as a total dickhead.

Yes true, and of course, minus that screening process, you get candidates like old mate Crapper who ticked none of the skills boxes, came across as a total dickhead, and still there were a small number of people who were sucked in by his claims of being the members' candidate. Populism always undermines the best intentions of democracy because self-interest leads to dumbarse choices.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Yes true, and of course, minus that screening process, you get candidates like old mate Crapper who ticked none of the skills boxes, came across as a total dickhead, and still there were a small number of people who were sucked in by his claims of being the members' candidate. Populism always undermines the best intentions of democracy because self-interest leads to dumbarse choices.
o
Agree but I'm loathe to criticise anyone who is game enough to throw their hat in the ring. Can see how anyone who loves the club could overestimate their own abilities and start thinking they can 'be the change'.

Unfortunately in this specific case, the post-rejection Paul Crapper didn't exactly display the traits of someone with the club's best interests at heart. Bullet dodged.

o
Agree but I'm loathe to criticise anyone who is game enough to throw their hat in the ring. Can see how anyone who loves the club could overestimate their own abilities and start thinking they can 'be the change'.

Unfortunately in this specific case, the post-rejection Paul Crapper didn't exactly display the traits of someone with the club's best interests at heart. Bullet dodged.

He was a prick from the get go

So it seems mate. I wanted to believe he was just a passionate guy wanting to get in and do some heavy lifting.

You were right though - as I've conceded before :).

Yeah, no need to re-litigate that one lol.

Would love a cafe to offer some local foods made by people as a training tool for the huddle.
Some lovely african foods/curries out there and no reason why you couldnt have the usual hot chips too.
African food slaps!! I had a friend who lived in Flemington when I was in primary school and their food was so bomb

Is that an insult?
No it isn’t! It just makes me remember how good times were back then, apologies if it did come off that way. I changed it so it can avoid any confusion.

Like their whole family would come together, share food, have a laugh and they were so welcoming of everyone, felt like one big family. Sadly now some people think otherwise of people who reside there, especially when they had an outbreak and it was so sad seeing them get all the hate because they are such giving people.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would love a cafe to offer some local foods made by people as a training tool for the huddle.
Some lovely african foods/curries out there and no reason why you couldnt have the usual hot chips too.
great idea, social enterprise offering vocational pathways to kids from the Flemington estates

Yep, this is a really good idea and is probably the best way to go about getting a cafe at Arden St. Set it up as a Community Cafe with strong links to the Huddle.
I used to go to one of these cafes near my old workplace. They had a couple of paid staff along with a lot of volunteers who got experience in cafe work (coffee making, safe food handling, customer service, money handling, practicing their English, building confidence etc).
It’s hard for people without these sort of skills to get a start sometimes, especially if they’re from a non-English speaking background and/or they’ve been out of work for a long time and lack confidence.
Something like this would tie-in nicely with the goal of making the footy club a real hub of the community.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep, this is a really good idea and is probably the best way to go about getting a cafe at Arden St. Set it up as a Community Cafe with strong links to the Huddle.
I used to go to one of these cafes near my old workplace. They had a couple of paid staff along with a lot of volunteers who got experience in cafe work (coffee making, safe food handling, customer service, money handling, practicing their English, building confidence etc).
It’s hard for people without these sort of skills to get a start sometimes, especially if they’re from a non-English speaking background and/or they’ve been out of work for a long time and lack confidence.
Something like this would tie-in nicely with the goal of making the footy club a real hub of the community.
A lot of these are run through centrelink but I'd love ours to be huddle based.
Should be enough money for it especially if there's paying customers.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lot of these are run through centrelink but I'd love ours to be huddle based.
Should be enough money for it especially if there's paying customers.
Plenty of good NGOs do this sort of thing as social enterprises, Jesuit Social Services, ACSO among others. Put out a request for tender, we'd find someone to run it

Back