Autopsy Roos lose to the Dogs - Round 5, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why I'm reading this thread at 2am but anyway, on Anderson....
I think North have a slightly better version than what we had of him when he was younger. Has a real crack for a small bloke and can't fault his effort but just doesn't have that polish you need to make that next step . Some have it, some just don't. It's a real shame because there are some great attributes he exhibits.
Back a few years ago, our board loved him and talked about him as if he was the next messiah but just didnt see it myself

I've never really rated Luke McDonald as anything more than average, but his influence was huge tonight. Bont went basically unsighted all night. I'd have him with a couple coaches votes surely.

I really wanted Curtis Taylor in his draft year. Thought he'd go first round and couldn't believe he slid that far, you guys got an incredible bargain on him.

Hall was astoundingly bad though, like holy sh*t. How is he getting games while guys like Scott and LDU aren't? Is it just that you don't have suitable replacements in his position?

LDU is injured of course and suffer on Taylor 😉. He is going to be very good .

Hall is the archetypal footballer , can run and isn’t a a bad kick . Just missing the other key ingredient which is fairly important - getting the ball 🤦‍♂️.

I’d still rather him currently than the butcher brigade we play weekly .And that’s sayin something.Any side cannot expect to be good/great with so many poor ball users and so many slow footballers .

We've made no attempt to find a lively small forward. It's bizarre.
I said on here last night that someone like Butler, whether it be him or another similar player, has been a huge need for some time. Butler was available, did we look into him?
We don't seem keen on addressing it.
To be fair, we had a decent crack at Papley but weren't willing to match what Carlton offered or the Swans wanted.

Our bubble after the round 2 media darlings reports has burst.
Skills woeful, work rate 2nd rate, outplayed and made too look a bottom of the ladder team.
Either some senior guys are carrying injuries besides cunners as their output is shocking.
I fell into the round2 hype but the last three weeks has been most disappointing.
We are not that good and there needs to be some action on the ones who haven’t performed.
Maybe some home truths need to be told

sh*t. Round 5 and we're talking about 'next year' again. Depressing.

Actually it's around this time that we make a bit of a run and either fall short of the finals or we make it and get belted in an elimination final.

The worst thing is we then trick ourselves into thinking all we need is a Polec or a Pittard to take the next step.

Been said by most but bears repeating, playing Cunners was a debacle.

Honestly, I have seen corpses on crime shows look in better condition.

Agree that Larkey is a key ingredient. I hope to start seeing the ball stay in our forward half rather than feeling a wave of nausea as the opposition whisks it up the other end to a vacant 50 & easy running goal.

Bonus for me is that I should now get to see us up close at the Metricon hub. Looking forward to seeing Jai, Tarryn, Kyron & Curtis show us their stuff.

Normally get my jollys reading everyone else’s insights, but couldn’t help myself after watching that rot.

Been said already, sub-par disposal has no part in the back half. We try that uncontested slingshot crap but we’re too lazy to roll across. Worst 2-way running team in the comp. need unpredictability from precision kick exits from the back 50. Williams, pittard, jMac out. whoever said Higgins in his twilight years, could be on to something

larkey is massive structurally for us. Only other key forward with enough nouse to drag his opponent away from BBB but at the same time can read when it’s his turn to go when BBB is caught up the ground.

has me absolutely speechless why we would gamble cunners in his condition if were of to a slap together hub tomorrow with makeshift medical facilities

Mrs Barber is an avid Carlton supporter, and last night was the first time I’ve been genuinely worried my son is going to barrack for them and not us.

Get McCluggage. End of story

Last edited:
Agreed. Shaw has inherited a number of players that have been Scotted. :stern look

Yep. No doubt. So why are they in the team? Piss 'em off and keep them out. Dropping JMac seemed positive but he comes back in after one week? What for?

No one gets an 'out' after last night. Can't blame umpiring, or injuries/suspensions. The Dogs were missing players but others stepped up. We missed Cunnington for two weeks, the midfield turned to s**t so he gets picked last night, seemingly in sheer desperation, looking as fit as I am so the midfield gets worse. A 20 game youngster is injured and the whole structure falls apart? And all clubs are living with the prospect of hubs so any suggestion that's impacting us is a cop out.

And Shaw. I'm a fan. I think he'll be a good coach. But Jesus mate, time to step up a bit. Aside from just losing, you have us playing a style that is so stagnant and rigid, scoring seems like it's an afterthought and we're possibly among the 2 or 3 most boring sides in it. If it's by design, you've had three awful weeks to learn from it. If the players aren't playing to instructions that's worse. Yes, you inherited an ordinary list, and some seriously limited players, but we've played 2 decent halves of footy in 5 weeks and each week we've rolled out the same turgid style with the same turgid footballers? Time to extract the digit and do some coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putrid selections (injured players)
Putrid game plan
Putrid forward 50 entries
Putrid umpiring (thanks for confusing the umps, Clarko - I have no idea how they’ll adjudicate the HTB rule herein)
Putrid spectacle*

*I’m done with this crap. Until something changes I’m only going to watch North games.
Rewarding players being second to the ball, well done AFL you bunch of morons.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s be honest, Rhyce inherited a s*** team. We need to seriously trim the fat from this club. Let the man rebuild. I’d rather that than another 10 years of mediocrity.
The problem is rebuilding doesn't always equal success either. If we go down the play the kids path and go into full rebuild we can not afford to * it up. Carlton/Melbourne levels of prolonged shitness will end this club.

The problem is rebuilding doesn't always equal success either. If we go down the play the kids path and go into full rebuild we can not afford to fu** it up. Carlton/Melbourne levels of prolonged shitness will end this club.

No change then over what we've been over the last two decades.

Every aspect of the football club must improve substantially, both on and off field.

The problem is rebuilding doesn't always equal success either. If we go down the play the kids path and go into full rebuild we can not afford to fu** it up. Carlton/Melbourne levels of prolonged shitness will end this club.

I dont th8nk we actually have much of a choice. Surely nobody can suggest we are going to improve playing the likes of jmac, atley and wood for example.

He was shaky at the very start then went on the bench, after that he actually looked OK (considering the obvious) for a little while.

I just want to know, did we test him under contested conditions? Did we get blokes to bump and tackle him for a couple of minutes to see how bad the pain was for him? If he was just doing run throughs to test his movements then that seems bloody useless.

Think he dud his fitness test running with mick Nolan. Shaw is starting to make some bad bad calls

There will be a decent cull at the end of 2020. Take it to the bank.

It better be or Shaw/Rawlings will be in the gun.
Hall for one should never play again - is soft and invisible

Forwardline and entries into are in shambles. The backline, however reliable, can only defend so many slingshot turnovers.

That was just putrid and there doesn’t seem to be a clear vision for the future.
Under skilled and slow list cloggers need to only given games if there’s no one else left.
Mids can’t hit a target and don’t run two ways. Jy and Goldy have been our only consistent winners - jed trues hard but skills are lacking. Polec/hall are soft and risk averse.
Backline have the skill level of Micky martyn- taz is our best user ffs.
Playing Jmac again was another error by Shaw - at one stage he just practically handed it to West for the dogs. Atley ,pittard and Williams aren’t any better - they give us nothing. Need to give Murphy a go and see what happens.
Forward line is being led by a kid called Taylor as the rest don’t work hard enough to -1, get front position,2 Attack the ball ,3 get separation.

The good was Taylor , Hayden ,Simpkin , Goldy Lmac and taz.
Mahoney shows glimpses of becoming a polished player
What were they thinking picking cunners -When he couldn’t move and especially against one of the fastest transition dudes in the league

We are a lazy side -No one runs and it’s the reason it’s so congested when we try to move it.

I can’t believe this. On what evidence? He couldn’t move on the first contest and his face looked like its been lying against a pillow for two weeks.
I believe the evidence was - Cunners, are you ok? Yeah. He plays.

I saw a play in the 3rd 1/4 that said it all to me. North player just bombs a ball into our forward line to a 4 Dogs versus 2 North players. Doggies mark the ball, takes a few steps back and then kicks out of the 50 and hits a doggies player on the chest with no less than 3 North players within 5-10 metres of him. Not one of the North players made any attempt to make a contest, with all of them pointing at each other wondering why they weren't manning up. And while this is going on the ball is moved quickly down the other end to finish with a Doggies forward being hit on the chest and kicks a goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back