Club History Roos over Wallace

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Ah the memories.

We all thought our chants of “Roos Not Wallace” at the SCG were needed to sway the Board.

But in hindsight, we had no cause for concern.

For even back then, the Swans Board had wisely identified that anyone or anything associated with the Bulldogs was corrupt, tainted and dishonourable.

Wallace was never getting the gig.
Wallace signed the contract and was paid for doing nothing. Terry told me this himself. He told the club they better have two desks and two whistles because he was coming up to coach.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
What did Sydney fans do to get their board to overturn the decision to recruit Wallace and take on Paul Roos instead?

Asking for a mate.
Turned up in mass showing support for Roos at the games.

Get the players to run around Roos at the games and hug him.

How we got rid of Eade is more what you're after. Again, fans turned up in mass to harras Eade at the end of poor performance after poor performance

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
What did Sydney fans do to get their board to overturn the decision to recruit Wallace and take on Paul Roos instead?

Asking for a mate.
I remember before Roos was appointed there was a petition floating around at home games that you could sign up to pushing for the Roos appointment It was to be handed to the club as part of the coaching appointment process.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Wallace stepping down from the Bulldogs job before the season was over with our coaching position being the only open position at the time flagged that he was being offered the job by the club. The fans and most importantly the players saw it as just an extension of Eade being the coach in style and method and rallied behind Roos who had shown that he could provide a fresh coaching approach to a team and club that had been without the ultimate success for so long. That set the stage for the last game of the season to be the stage for the fans and players to publicly support Roos and reject Wallace. The club despite having signed Wallace had no option to back away and appoint Roos full time.

If Wallace didn't quit the Bulldogs before the end of the season. He would've coached us in 2003 as the fans and players wouldn't have been publicly able to support Roos.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Turned up in mass showing support for Roos at the games.

Get the players to run around Roos at the games and hug him.

How we got rid of Eade is more what you're after. Again, fans turned up in mass to harras Eade at the end of poor performance after poor performance

didn't the big single push coincide with kelly's last game, i think out at homebush? i know i was at kelly's last game and from (vague) memory, there was a big pro-roos element in the crowd, although at that stage it was largely wishful thinking, i think most people were of the (media-led) belief wallace was locked in
i look forward to being corrected
and what a truly historic sliding-doors moment for the club it turned out to be, flicking wallace and going with roos

and just because it reminds me of kelly ...

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
didn't the big single push coincide with kelly's last game, i think out at homebush? i know i was at kelly's last game and from (vague) memory, there was a big pro-roos element in the crowd, although at that stage it was largely wishful thinking, i think most people were of the (media-led) belief wallace was locked in
and what a truly historic sliding-doors moment for the club it turned out to be, flicking wallace and going with roos

i'm sure that's been posted before (possibly by me) ... but what a fckng champion!

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals

Wallace was locked in. Sydney paid him for nothing

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

Yeah this was exactly what happened. I can understand Port fans who are disgruntled about Hinkley but it was only when we showed at the games our support for Roos did it make a difference.

This was the same when Eade left. I can't remember the game but I remember a loss at the SCG and the fans were furious. Chased him around and gave him hell as he was leaving the grounds.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham

That north goal will be etched into my memory forever. Watching him play was basically my entire childhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 10, 2012
Cairns
AFL Club
Sydney

Ahh, our shining light in those dark days of the early 90s when he started with us. My hero!

Gawd they were sad days..

1990 2nd last
1991 4th Last
1992 2nd Last
1993 Last
1994 Last

(1995 5th last & 1996 1st though ! :fire:)

Those top 5 Kelly plays remind me of a couple of Papp's moments we've seen this year :smirk:

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Ahh, our shining light in those dark days of the early 90s when he started with us. My hero!

Gawd they were sad days..

1990 2nd last
1991 4th Last
1992 2nd Last
1993 Last
1994 Last

(1995 5th last & 1996 1st though ! :fire:)

Those top 5 Kelly plays remind me of a couple of Papp's moments we've seen this year :smirk:

yes, indeed ... those surges out of the centre, papley has done that a few times this season
warner as well
reminded me just how balanced at speed kelly was, just as warner is developing

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Asking for a mate.
Your issue is you have no alternative. No rallying point the fans can point to and go 'he's better'.

Ed_Gein

Very good. But brick not hit back!
Dec 17, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers, Liverpool, Storm.
On top of what's been said, I'm fairly certain there were articles in the papers around that time promoting Roos and why we'd be mad not to take him as coach instead of Wallace.

I shudder to think where we'd be if we had Wallace. He wasn't the worst, but you'd have to say 2005 doesn't happen...

Back