Rumour Roos to coach North.

Remove this Banner Ad

They've just agreed to a settlement for Shaw and are still paying Brad Scott aren't they?

Not sure they have a mammoth contract in them.
Iirc they only had to keep paying Braddles if he couldn't get another gig. He didn't but then the afl gave him a job at the 11th hour. Executive Director of the Vibe of the Game or some nonsense.

I don't see why not in this instance. He's highly thought of as an assistant coach, and i'm not sure guys like Lyon would want to coach North.
I don't see why you wouldn't. The public perception of north right now is probably a lot worse than the actual reality. They do have a solid core of talented youth (despite the bigfooty memes) with presumably more to come, and they have some solid senior citizens in tarrant/cunnington/mcdonald to guide them through the next few seasons. This year they lost by far their most important player for a full year, not to mention the unprecedented circumstances with hubs/compromised training which would've disproportionately affected rebuilding clubs. It really sucks what happened to shaw because he just got dealt the year from hell, but imo all they are is a club beginning a fairly standard rebuild with the building blocks in place to rebound fairly quickly. Everyone thinks that the sky is falling in for them but I don't think that's true, so for a coach with a bit of self belief it might be the perfect place to build/enhance a reputation. Of course thats just onfield, obviously I have no idea if there's troubles in the boardroom or whatever.

I don't see why not in this instance. He's highly thought of as an assistant coach, and i'm not sure guys like Lyon would want to coach North.
Shaw was well thought of as well.

Think it's too much to ask for a first year coach IMO.
North are a basket case at the minute.
No assistants, huge player cuts and talks about relocation.
Needs an experienced old hand with good people around him I reckon.

I love these attitudes of “big successful clubs”. FFS Geelong were on their knees not that long ago. Got MASSIVE gov funding, paid all their creditors bugger all and now dishing out the advice. Embarrassing garbage from you mate. Shocking.
Didn’t Geelong ask the afl or government for a handout so they could finish building a grandstand not long ago?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shaw was well thought of as well.

Think it's too much to ask for a first year coach IMO.
North are a basket case at the minute.
No assistants, huge player cuts and talks about relocation.
Needs an experienced old hand with good people around him I reckon.

I always thought Rhys was the sacrificial lamb. Similar to Brendan Bolton at Carlton, when Brad Scott bailed North knew a rebuild was on the cards and no high profile coach would want to take on the job so gave it to Shaw.

He was progressing along the same lines as Bolton with huge cuts to the list but unfortunately for Rhys perhaps didn't have a hard-arse like Steve Silvagni to take a bit of the heat.

Feel for the guy.

Incoming head of AFL Victoria, the body designed to promote and grow the game in the state that needs it most
That's not the role I'm talking about.

Foxfooty.com.au has confirmed AFL Media’s report that Scott, who briefly left the footy industry late last year after sensationally parting ways with the Kangaroos mid-season, has been appointed ‘AFL competition evolution manager’ ahead of the 2020 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back