Coach Roos rue Roos ruse

It was always going to be a problem with having an inexperienced coach. I think Paul Roos would be involved in more giving Shaw advice on how to handle various aspects of coaching rather than giving active advice in terms of game plan, squad structure, etc.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Roos was always excited about our list and young blokes in 2019 but haven’t paid much attention to 2020.

If the pair of them can establish a culture it’s a master stroke.

I don’t know how that assists when there are a group of players who can’t kick to another footballer though?

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I don’t know how that assists when there are a group of players who can’t kick to another footballer though?
Skills coaching should absolutely be a top priority. Who should we target as skills coach? Who are generally regarded as the top skills coaches in the league?

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If it happens be prepared for an all out defensive game plan for the first two years. That is what he did at Sydney and Melbourne. No reason he will change

I have mixed feelings about Paul Roos, because he did leave Fitzroy to go to Sydney in the closing stage of his career. However, he was a wonderful player and captained Fitzroy so part of me still remembers hil well.

But more importantly, leaving that aside, he did coach Rhyce at Sydney for 2 years, 2009 to 2010, so maybe they still have a connection. And while the godees have hardly kicked on since he left, he did resurrect that club from the inglorious years of Mark Neeld. Maybe their recent performances might be more due to the current coach Simon Goodwin.

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If it happens be prepared for an all out defensive game plan for the first two years. That is what he did at Sydney and Melbourne. No reason he will change

That’s Rhyce’s style anyway so I don’t think it will make any difference.

Important Rhyce has a wise head around him and Paul is definitely that. And overall, a successful one.

I’ll take Roos at the club over Jade Rawlings any day of the week!

I would imagine the players will have instance respect for Roos as well.

Imo I think it can only help.

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Keep in mind that the article's from Damian too. So I'd gather there isn't much likelihood it's come from the club.

Unless it's a ruse, which headline writers across the country will thank us for.

I wouldn’t put it past Damo to make the story up just so he can write a follow up article stating Roos rejected North 😜

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
I have mixed feelings about Paul Roos, because he did leave Fitzroy to go to Sydney in the closing stage of his career. However, he was a wonderful player and captained Fitzroy so part of me still remembers hil well.
He wasn't the only one to leave around that time. The place had no money. We did get Blakey, Armstrong and Mellington ourselves.

I think this could be a good idea, I knowledgable and experienced person for Rhyce to bounce ideas off.

It can't hurt he looked rather lost and bereft of ideas during the final 5/6 rounds last season.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
do it.

I can't believe anyone would say no to this. ridiculous.

No doubt in my mind the call has been made - won'y lose any sleep over it if nothing eventuates.

But to actively campaign against it is so dumb.

Even if he is just a sounding board for Rhyce, its gonna make a difference.

Back