Coach Roos rue Roos ruse

Very good, hadn’t seen that, up there with the Inverness Caley Thistle headline from years ago.

He should win the abomination the NRL have for a B & F these days by the length of the straight if they’re fair dinkum.
This headline is very hard to beat (pun sort of intended):

I'm not sure we should be hiring someone (if we needed to do so) on the hope that Simpson or someone else has an expiring contract in two years time.
Would be a very interesting dilemma for West Coke if Simmo was signed to come home to North at the end of his contract (end of next year I believe).

Would they want him there next year?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Would be a very interesting dilemma for West Coke if Simmo was signed to come home to North at the end of his contract (end of next year I believe).

Would they be want him there next year?

"Nizza" will talk him out of it (by giving him a block of flats)

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team

Would they want him there next year?

If so then he would be shown the door immediately. I don't think it's possible to have a formal contract in place as a coach for a future period though.

If so then he would be shown the door immediately. I don't think it's possible to have a formal contract in place as a coach for a future period though.
They were complete campaigners when Brady came home

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can’t see simmo leaving west coast anytime soon. It’s more likely him getting the arse for finishing outside the 8 a couple of years in a row.

Clarkson however is teetering and is probaly living on borrowed time. The only reason he is still at hawthorn is because of the name clarkson and not the ability. Clarkson probably got at most 2 years and that's probably how long we north need to get the list together. The team will be presented to him on a silver platter and with his master coaching skills, it's not outside the realm of possibility he could turn his 4 flag to 6 to become the phil jackson of afl.

Also at his age and achievement, money and reconition no longer interest him unless there is another extra level. Coming back to north as the coahc who was a former player is one. Taking over a team ready to roll makes life easier and also taking a minnow back to success will firm his legacy as the greatest. Which man can resist the chance at godhood?

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And hopefully we can get a News headline to top the greatest headline of all time.

View attachment 985051
Best headline I ever saw was a British tabloid years ago.

There was talk that Man U keeper Peter Schmeichal was leaving and Arsenal’s David Seaman was going move across to replace him....

The headline was ....
“ Seamen to fill Schmeichal’s gap”

Agreed.

Personally I don't think we should be going after Simmo.

If we need to find a new coach then we should go for someone who actually wants the job and is fully committed to applying for it and be broad in our list of candidates.

Also head hunting is fine and getting North blokes in is fine but personally have reservations about our hiring process outside of that method.

Why wouldn't he be committed or not want the job? Just because he turned down the offer last time because he was contracted at the Eagles? I wouldn't expect any coach to break a contract to coach us and I think it was foolish for us to attempt to last time.

I'm not sure we should be hiring someone (if we needed to do so) on the hope that Simpson or someone else has an expiring contract in two years time.

I wouldn't do it on a hope either. I would if someone committed to switching at the end of their contract though.

tbh, i think we will play more attacking football under Paul Roos, Melbourne did. I didn't like that Shaw ran with basically Scott's plan plus a few tweaks, the way we moved the ball out of our defensive 50 under pressure or into the forward 50 was garbage.

I think what is important is we start building to play a premiership calibre game plan and what we are doing atm isn't putting our kids on the right path. I was hoping Shaw was going to make a more significant change during the pre-season but I didn't notice much. We lack that solid system and executing the basics consistently. We need to be able to hold up better under the pump as well.

download.jpg

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Firstly, I was always hoping Shawry would be our long-term coach.

If for some reason we are changing coaches then the two straight forward choices are Clarko and Simmo. Both NMFC and both the best in the comp.

If we’re going for next tier then Schofield from Port is a no brainer, I said this when Scotts was shown the door, Schofield’s resume is as good as any aspiring AFL coach in the country - AFL Premiership player, 3 x Premiership coach with Subiaco and apparently his players go to war for him.

One things for sure, this is a massive decision for the club as it will be their 3rd coach in a couple of years for most players.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

If for some reason we are changing coaches then the two straight forward choices are Clarko and Simmo. Both NMFC and both the best in the comp.

If we’re going for next tier then Schofield from Port is a no brainer, I said this when Scotts was shown the door, Schofield’s resume is as good as any aspiring AFL coach in the country - AFL Premiership player, 3 x Premiership coach with Subiaco and apparently his players go to war for him.

One things for sure, this is a massive decision for the club as it will be their 3rd coach in a couple of years for most players.

We seem allergic to a rigourous selection process though.

After Laidley we got all doe-eyed for Buckley for (reasons?) before hastily leafing through the leftovers after the rejection.

After Scott we appointed the admittedly well performed interim without interviewing anyone else.

It'd be a departure from the norm to go back to the drawing board and even identify a Schofield as a candidate if Shaw wasn't to continue.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
We seem allergic to a rigourous selection process though.

After Laidley we got all doe-eyed for Buckley for (reasons?) before hastily leafing through the leftovers after the rejection.

After Scott we appointed the admittedly well performed interim without interviewing anyone else.

It'd be a departure from the norm to go back to the drawing board and even identify a Schofield as a candidate if Shaw wasn't to continue.

It's a strange position to be in for the board - if the Shaw rumours are true, is he permanently stepping away from coaching, is it just a season and re-evaluate, is it indefinite? I guess it would need to be a permanent departure for us to start a full coaching search that involves assistants from other clubs. Someone like Chocco and Ayres may be a decent stop gap but are they really going to give up secure VFL roles just for that? It's not like those names need to get a foothold in the industry.

I still think there is potentially a very good coach in Rhyce but sadly that ship may have sailed.

It's also why I completely understand why we haven't made any announcements or public statements.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Don Pyke? I can imagine the players will be wondering why this song will be on repeat...

He pretty much destroyed a top 4 team over one pre-season camp, that is quite the achievement.

And who could forget Rocket...

At least Minson is off.

I know this is a bit of fun but just re Pyke. Yes he (with others) seemed to have run a disastrous preseason camp.

But he also took an emotionally wrecked crows team with a good but not great list and had them heading into a grand final as favourites inside 2 seasons.

It seems a bit shortsighted for clubs to write him off permanently in search of the next wunderkind.

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know this is a bit of fun but just re Pyke. Yes he (with others) seemed to have run a disastrous preseason camp.

But he also took an emotionally wrecked crows team with a good but not great list and had them heading into a grand final as favourites inside 2 seasons.

It seems a bit shortsighted for clubs to write him off permanently in search of the next wunderkind.

He's just got a gig at Sydney.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

You know who else coached multiple flags at Subi?

Scott Watters.

Back