Coach Roos rue Roos ruse

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just received an email from North stating :

We have been acutely aware of speculation regarding our head coach, but we have not been in a position to say anything as we are respecting the wishes of Rhyce and his family. Rhyce has asked for some time and space away from football and we have provided him support during this period. We thank the media for their ongoing cooperation and trust they understand we can’t make further comment at this time.
Yeah bit media blackout until the family comes out and explains the situation.

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

We have been acutely aware of speculation regarding our head coach, but we have not been in a position to say anything as we are respecting the wishes of Rhyce and his family. Rhyce has asked for some time and space away from football and we have provided him support during this period. We thank the media for their ongoing cooperation and trust they understand we can’t make further comment at this time.
[/QUOTE]

Are you sure this email can be shared in public?

Are you sure this email can be shared in public?

It's already in the media: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...coaching-future-in-doubt-20201016-p565tt.html

jezaroo

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2006
Under a rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Eels

"But the club has privately accepted that if he was to return, it would not be as senior coach.

AFL.com.au understands ex-Brisbane coach and current Port Adelaide senior assistant coach Michael Voss will be a person of interest for the head North position."

Vossy! What's peoples thinking on this?

"But the club has privately accepted that if he was to return, it would not be as senior coach.

AFL.com.au understands ex-Brisbane coach and current Port Adelaide senior assistant coach Michael Voss will be a person of interest for the head North position."

Vossy! What's peoples thinking on this?

I like Voss, like Buckley I think they both rushed into senior coaching too early and made a lot of mistakes but I think Voss' continued work as an assistant probably has him more mature now and in a better place to coach. Just keep him way out of list management decisions. :stern look

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I like Voss, like Buckley I think they both rushed into senior coaching too early and made a lot of mistakes but I think Voss' continued work as an assistant probably has him more mature now and in a better place to coach. Just keep him way out of list management decisions. :stern look
Yes, Voss has had a chance to learn from a range of people across multiple Successful environments. Buckley continues to fall short despite having more resources and more support than any other coach in the comp (and for that reason I hope he has a long career).

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People will lament the introduction of Roos, Voss and maybe even Blakey, but other than BRawlings, there are bugger all people within the club currently who have proven they know how to achieve success.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But no one is asking the question of do we need a coach? The current afl coaches do the match day strategy and that's all. Assistants can do it. Recruitment can be done by the director. Headcoach is such an outdated structure. Let's split the headcoach's role to 5 people, there problem sorted. The asssitants run the math day events. Roos does the recruitment and trading. Someone does the media.

Names floated for the Fremantle job included:

Peter Sumich
Dean Solomon
Michael Voss

For Adelaide:

Scott Burns
Justin Longmuir
Ben Rutten
Nathan Bassett

Betting for Fremantle job:

$1.80 – Peter Sumich
$2.50 – Justin Longmuir
$5.50 – Brad Scott
$6 – David Hale
$6.50 – John Worsfold
$10 – Michael Voss
$11 – Michael Prior
$15 – Brett Ratten
$17 – Robert Harvey
$21 – Adam Kingsley, Alastair Clarkson, Anthony Rock, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Matthew Pavlich, Jarrad Schofield
$24 – Sam Mitchell

For Adelaide:

$2.75 – Ben Rutten
$3.25 – Scott Burns
$4 – Michael Voss
$6.50 – Ross Lyon
$7 – Scott Camporeale
$9 – Nathan Bassett, Peter Sumich
$10 – Justin Longmuir
$12 – Robert Harvey
$15 – Ben Hart
$17 – Simon Goodwin
$21 – Brad Scott, David Hale, Marty Mattner, David Noble
$26 – Alastair Clarkson, Blake Caracella, Darren Glass, Sam Mitchell
$34 – James Hird, Michael Prior

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find it kind of annoying tbh, who the hell told the media about us looking at Roos before he had even confirmed he was going to take the role?

Was it someone in the club? Roos? Roos agent?
Yeah this s**t drives me nuts. HTF does the media know this. That’s a problem. In fairness, Blakey kind of came out of nowhere, or it did for me anyway.

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m a huge Ross Lyon fan.

His players either love him or hate him, but irrespective, they always quote him. We went ok last time we had an often-quoted father figure to a bunch of talented kids.

l like Mark Chocco Williams. Has coached a side to a premiership, seems to be well liked, has the experience and has the respect of his players at Werribee he is an attacking style of coach.

Last edited:
l like Mark Chocco Williams. Has coached a side to a premiership, seems to be well liked, has the experience and has the respect of his players at Werribee and is and attacking style of coach.

I don't mind who we go with, but I think they need to have some experience.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Former Sydney and Melbourne coach Paul Roos has officially joined North Melbourne to help the club select a new senior coach.

Roos is part of a panel that also features club chief executive Ben Amarfio, football boss Brady Rawlings, football director and club legend Glenn Archer, director Sonja Hoos and Terry Coyne, co-founder of the Centre for Leadership Advantage.

North are also consulting with the AFL and the AFL Coaches' Association on their hunt.

The AFL has suggested some names to the club, with the Kangaroos open to either an experienced assistant coach or a candidate who has already had a senior coaching role.

Any names to these people

Former Sydney and Melbourne coach Paul Roos has officially joined North Melbourne to help the club select a new senior coach.

Roos is part of a panel that also features club chief executive Ben Amarfio, football boss Brady Rawlings, football director and club legend Glenn Archer, director Sonja Hoos and Terry Coyne, co-founder of the Centre for Leadership Advantage.

North are also consulting with the AFL and the AFL Coaches' Association on their hunt.

The AFL has suggested some names to the club, with the Kangaroos open to either an experienced assistant coach or a candidate who has already had a senior coaching role.

Any names to these people

Shhhh we're hunting coaches....

BA: Paul Roos is going to have a role going forward, and he will have an input in a lot of different areas.

1606089831405.png

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BA: Paul Roos is going to have a role going forward, and he will have an input in a lot of different areas.

View attachment 1016879

Wow that's a bolt out of the blue😉. A great result and making life even harder again for the likes of Caro. I almost feel for her. You mark my words the shite against our club will stop.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow that's a bolt out of the blue😉. A great result and making life even harder again for the likes of Caro. I almost feel for her. You mark my words the sh*te against our club will stop.

If I'm not wrong, she described the club trying to woo Paul Roos as a "pipe-dream" did she not? I wish she would refer to a North premiership as a pipe-dream as it would be time to bet the house on it.

Paul Roos' role ongoing at the club in 2021…

"I think we can absolutely utilise his knowledge and experience, he's coached two clubs. For me he'll be a great sounding board, I'm sure he'll be a counsel for me a number of times. He'll be great for our assistant coaches. He worked with Johnny Blakey, he can help out there. He'll be a great mentor for some of our players. He can help us out internally, Brady will be able to use him, I'm sure (chairman) Ben (Buckley) will be able to use his acumen with the board."

Back