Coach Roos rue Roos ruse

It's a very interesting role for Roos. I am not sure such a role exists at any other club. If he's indeed planning to do it by physically being at Arden street a number of days a week, I reckon it's a great outcome. If he ends up doing it from Hawaii, then it's an absolute waste of dollars. I know Ben Buckley has stated that he's due to arrive early in the new year, but I'd like to see exactly how much he's involved day to day.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
It's a very interesting role for Roos. I am not sure such a role exists at any other club. If he's indeed planning to do it by physically being at Arden street a number of days a week, I reckon it's a great outcome. If he ends up doing it from Hawaii, then it's an absolute waste of dollars. I know Ben Buckley has stated that he's due to arrive early in the new year, but I'd like to see exactly how much he's involved day to day.
If there's one thing we've learned in 2020, it's that where you sit has not much with do with how valuable your contribution can be. Roos as a sounding board by phone or Zoom for the senior footy guys in the club as and when that is needed seems at least as likely to be useful as paying him to fly and hang out here, although I'm sure he will be back from time to to time to catch up in person. I'm assuming a lot if not all his work on the coaching panel has been remote.

If there's one thing we've learned in 2020, it's that where you sit has not much with do with how valuable your contribution can be. Roos as a sounding board by phone or Zoom for the senior footy guys in the club as and when that is needed seems at least as likely to be useful as paying him to fly and hang out here, although I'm sure he will be back from time to to time to catch up in person. I'm assuming a lot if not all his work on the coaching panel has been remote.
I would argue footy is a different beast. Hard to teach assistants how to improve their training methods without physically being there to watch training. Hard to advise Noble how to improve his match day coaching without seating in the box next to him on a few occasions. Etc

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I understand the Roos-Charlatan angle and I've contributed to it.

But it sounds like we ran a really thorough tight process this time for the coach selection and maybe, just maybe Roos does have some acumen in people management.

It sounds like he's helped come up with a specific criteria suited to our needs and then fitted Noble to that and on top of that helped both Noble and the club see a common vision.

It was a left field move and if it turns out well then Roos deserves a huge amount of credit for it.

If it fails, I reserve the right to make years of derisive comments about his Hawaiian shirts-speedos Zoom call $500/hr mindfulness and wellness consultant gigs.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
or maybe we can only afford him on a part time basis
With all his media requirements we probably couldnt afford to just keep him on fulltime.
So pay him for the days he's here and the rest he can go on talk shows.
Seems like a win win for both parties. Really not sure how guys like eddie can do it, guess there's differences between a president and a coach though.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It was revealed last week the club put out a feeler to the premiership-winning coach Paul Roos after letting go of six assistant coaches, while also adding Swans assistant coach John Blakey to the squad.

It's hoped Roos would join the club in a part-time capacity.

But Wilson revealed any hopes of landing the former Swans and Demons coach are long gone.

"No chance, absolutely none," she said.

Pipe dream?

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Interesting to hear that we started talking to Roos when Rhyce was still in charge. It suggests that management is still following through with a plan and it isn’t all a total change of direction.

king rising

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As long as it doesn’t turn into the Paul Roos show, and he isn’t credited for every bit of success we have, then I’m comfortable with his appointment. However, I’m not sure this will be true.

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As a former Fitzroy supporter before the destruction of the club, I've always had a soft spot for Roos and I still do.

I honestly cannot understand the weird suspicions about him, the claims of him being a mercenary, or that there is something wrong with getting a premiership coach to come into the club as part of our re-organisation. For me, its a great appointment.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

It was revealed last week the club put out a feeler to the premiership-winning coach Paul Roos after letting go of six assistant coaches, while also adding Swans assistant coach John Blakey to the squad.

It's hoped Roos would join the club in a part-time capacity.

But Wilson revealed any hopes of landing the former Swans and Demons coach are long gone.

"No chance, absolutely none," she said.

I'm surprised she hasn't tried reverse angle and said how well were doing. It'd go **** up for sure then.

Back