Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Yeah, sorry guys. Cheekily misleading, but I'm happy to accept a card for this. :oops: But Roos or 'roos... it doesn't matter. This one might as well be us, I reckon.

MELBOURNE coach Paul Roos says sourcing two class midfielders to complement his current group will become a list priority to ensure the Demons’ renaissance remains on track.

Roos said his beefed up engine room... still lacked the cream to compete with the league’s silkiest onball divisions.

Fremantle superstar Nat Fyfe remains out of contract while teammate David Mundy and Crow David Mackay are free agents and Roos said earlier this year he wanted to build a towering midfield in the Dockers mould. Shane Crawford wrote in the Herald Sun last month that Melbourne should table an eight-year offer worth at least $8 million to explosive Crow Patrick Dangerfield.

“We’d love to have a couple of really good midfielders, because probably the absolute class is what gets us at times”. The class of (Scott) Pendlebury and (Dane) Swan and you look at the Sydney Swans with guys like Kieren Jack, Jarrad McVeigh and (Josh) Kennedy."
Dees look to add midfield class

Despite his tendency to push 'Swannies' players above, and noting that we did target and got Dal Santo, a young gun to step up as Wellsy/Boomer decline/retire would be nice.

Overlooking the journalist in question, this thought is in a similar vein...

Where is the Victorian club that is prepared to use their massive salary cap room to offer 22-year-old Nate Fyfe a $12 million ten-year deal?

Or 25-year-old unrestricted free agent James Frawley a five-year deal worth $3.3 million that would cost them only salary cap space and no draft picks.

Or actually have a real crack at luring 21-year-old Jeremy Cameron with an eight-year $10 million deal to be the pin-up by for your club for the next generation?
Victorian clubs should follow Sydney's lead

Does North have the ability to offer enough to secure the likes of Fyfe ?

Maybe we can get NDS to have a chat with Goddard and get him over..... not like * will be a good place to be

those sort of players want success, at this stage we can't offer that.

I'm not sure sure. Other than NDS who really didn't have a great number of suitors we seem to really misfire in coaxing players to the club.

Judd - Carlton.
Mitch Clark - Melbourne
Monfries - Port
Goddard - *

Worked in different ways but I'm not sure the 'imminent success' carrot is as powerful as we assume.

We even lost a head to head for Josh Bruce with St Kilda. And they were a toilet at the time. Unless he's a megaknobber we should study exactly how these clubs are selling themselves to close their deals and learn from them.

I'm not sure sure. Other than NDS who really didn't have a great number of suitors we seem to really misfire in coaxing players to the club.

Judd - Carlton. money
Mitch Clark - Melbourne was not well wanted to go home ended up getting lots of money
Monfries - Port wanted to go home
Goddard - * this one is about the only one...

Worked in different ways but I'm not sure the 'imminent success' carrot is as powerful as we assume.

We even lost a head to head for Josh Bruce with St Kilda. And they were a toilet at the time. Unless he's a megaknobber we should study exactly how these clubs are selling themselves to close their deals and learn from them.

Judd - Carlton.
Mitch Clark - Melbourne
Monfries - Port
Goddard - *

Josh Bruce wanted game time and didn't look like he was going to get much at North being behind Grima, Hansen and Thompson, and with C. Delaney looking a very likely type. Easy decision for him.

Josh Bruce wanted game time and didn't look like he was going to get much at North being behind Grima, Hansen and Thompson, and with C. Delaney looking a very likely type. Easy decision for him.

Would have been handy right now with Grima and Delaney out.

In isolation I was aware of that and agree.

But as a trend we tend to lose battles for signatures against both small clubs and big clubs. Caddy, Gunston, Bruce, Karnezis, Docherty, Hickey, Mason Cox (yeh an untried project but still a competitive tender process) off the top of my head.

I'm guessing if Hawthorn got in Josh Bruce's ear with "we're not guaranteeing you game time but we'll develop you properly" they'd have turned his head.

And while benbanjo is correct in money being a major factor, we haven't been shy about entering races for players (think of Boak) so I assume we haven't just been outpriced on every occasion.

All I'm saying is we haven't excelled in this area and could do better. I'd like to be in the position that the next Josh Gaddy or Jack Gunston who hits the market is nominating North Melbourne as their preferred destination.

NDS has been a great get, so there's one class midfielder. The one that I really wish we had gone all out for is Boak. Class footballer who is a leader of the Hodge mould (can lift the whole team). Mind you we will should have another mature aged recruit named Daniel Wells in 3, I mean 6, I mean 9 weeks.

I'm all for joining the quest for a gun forward, while still having faith in Black, Daw, Tarrant in spite of this annus horribilus and even some lingering hopes for Curran. But there would be at least 20 KPFs ahead of our mob on current form. Apart from the GWS kids - Cameron, Patton, Tomlinson - and free agent Frawley are there any others who are in reach? Sydney's Sam Reid (even though on long contract) perhaps? Gold Coast have a handy trio in Lynch, Day, and Dixon.

NDS has been a great get, so there's one class midfielder. The one that I really wish we had gone all out for is Boak. Class footballer who is a leader of the Hodge mould (can lift the whole team). Mind you we will should have another mature aged recruit named Daniel Wells in 3, I mean 6, I mean 9 weeks.

I'm all for joining the quest for a gun forward, while still having faith in Black, Daw, Tarrant in spite of this annus horribilus and even some lingering hopes for Curran. But there would be at least 20 KPFs ahead of our mob on current form. Apart from the GWS kids - Cameron, Patton, Tomlinson - and free agent Frawley are there any others who are in reach? Sydney's Sam Reid (even though on long contract) perhaps? Gold Coast have a handy trio in Lynch, Day, and Dixon.

I wish we could chase hard for Dixon, but he is a queenslander originally so I doubt he would want to move south. The only other is John Butcher, but he isn't really that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have been handy right now with Grima and Delaney out.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing yet totally irrelevant to his decision making process at the time.

I wish we could chase hard for Dixon, but he is a queenslander originally so I doubt he would want to move south. The only other is John Butcher, but he isn't really that good.
Would be great. Currently one of the best forward-rucks going around, but agree the QLD factor would make that impossible.

And Butcher by name, butcher by foot.

I hope Brewis is making a phone list of player managers in the order:
Cameron
Patton
Lynch (GC)
Sam Reid
Frawley
Tomlinson
Jenkins

Would be great. Currently one of the best forward-rucks going around, but agree the QLD factor would make that impossible.

And Butcher by name, butcher by foot.

I hope Brewis is making a phone list of player managers in the order:
Cameron
Patton
Lynch (GC)
Sam Reid
Frawley
Tomlinson
Jenkins

I wouldn't be interested in Jenkins.

Tomlinson and Frawley (Through Free-Agency) are the most available.

Lynch would be most likely go back to SA if he was ever going to go anywhere. Reid would probably want to play with Ben at the pies (Plus i don't think he that good). Cameron and Patton we'd have to give up way too much to get them.

What about Zaharakis? Surely he would want out if players are suspended.
It's very unlikely that anyone will be suspended. At worst, they'll get 6 months and have to have individual preseasons.

What sort of bad publicity?

You're kidding me, right?

He's likely to be a Top 10 (in the comp) player for his career. They have him now and would look completely incompetent if they can't keep him. How could they aspire to improve if they let go the type of player that everyone (including them, of course) wants? Who would they replace him with? How could they attract other top line players? How could they keep / increase their fan base?

How would North have done if we let Carey go at the same age? Hint: our flag tally would be half what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back